PDA

View Full Version : I need your thoughts/input for a 38-55 bullet

redhawk0
04-16-2021, 12:15 PM
Here is where I am...I acquired a 1901 Winchester 1894 in 38-55 caliber. It was in VERY rough shape when I got it. I have a new stock fitted (as best I could...not real happy with it...but.....it will work)....anyway...

After cleaning it all up and reassembling it, the hammer wouldn't stay cocked after cycling the lever. I guess I removed too much grime. This rifle has the hammer with the whale-tail checkering on the top. Seeing that it was only made for the first few years its a rare hammer and the one I found was way out of my price range for a freeby rifle in bad shape. So, I had a military contractor buddy of mine put some steel weld on the top and I reshaped it about 1mm higher than it was. Now it cocks fine when cycling.

OK...so now I need some input. I drove a lead slug through the bore today and it came out almost smooth. As near as I can tell the bore is severely worn out. To a point where I can see straight lines down the length of the barrel after a thorough cleaning and scrubbing with JB bore paste. The straight lines are obviously from jacketed bullets being shot and not engaging the rifling.

The slug measures 0.378" - .381" depending on how it's turned. There is no visible rifling on the slug to measure accurately. So...what I'd like to do is purchase a mold that is 0.380" and then powder coat to gain another thou or two. But before I do that......

If anyone has some boolits in that 0.380" range that I could try I'd appreciate it. I can pay for materials/shipping of course. (Paypal works best for me)....let me know if you have something.

Any input on this idea would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying my best to be hopeful...It might just turn into a wall hanger.

redhawk

Kraschenbirn
04-16-2021, 02:56 PM
What's the twist rate of your barrel? I've an ample stock of 305 grainers that I shoot in my Highwall (1-18 twist) that are sized to .380 and lubed with Emmert's but hesitate to speculate on whether or not they would stabilize in a badly worn barrel with a slower twist rate.

Bill

redhawk0
04-16-2021, 05:24 PM
Bill…. I'll get back on that. I can't get my jag or brush to spin to calculate it. I'll try to visually count rotations and divide by barrel length to figure it out. I'll get back soon.

redhawk

PositiveCaster
04-16-2021, 05:29 PM
If the rifling is so worn that it can hardly be seen, trying to use a long 300-grain bullet will most likely end in complete failure. Nothing may work, but trying the shortest/lightest bullet available is probably the best route if any real accuracy is desired.

Mitch
04-16-2021, 06:50 PM
make sure you have all the lead out of the barrel maybe you will be lucky and are seeing lead not steel.Hope for the best.

Joby
04-16-2021, 08:33 PM
Pm sent from north east PA.

50target
04-16-2021, 09:16 PM
Redhawk, I shoot a Uberti HW that has to have .380 or you couldn't shoot your way out of a phone booth( remember those?)
Anyway I have some commercial cast .,380 in 250 grain if that may help you.
Can send you some to try. Let me know by PM

Bob

PositiveCaster
04-16-2021, 11:19 PM
make sure you have all the lead out of the barrel maybe you will be lucky and are seeing lead not steel....

Good point, “cleaning it up” means different things to different people and lead could be filling the grooves. But if that was true the actual bore diameter would likely be 0.386 or more - not likely. Regardless I too hope the OP can get it shooting well enough.

redhawk0
04-17-2021, 09:16 AM
Hi guys… I scrubbed for several hours on this bore. I thought the same thing about the rifling being filled with lead. I took a 40 cal and 410 gauge bronse brush to it then wrapped in a patch and scrubbed more with JB. The patch comes out pretty clean. Before I started scrubbing I left it soak in Kroil for 3 days. Pretty sure its clean. And it is pitted for sure. I'm just hoping to get 4" groups at 50 yards with it. I'd be ok with that.

I agree… 250s would likely be my best bet. Thanx Joby and 50target… I'll be in touch.

redhawk

45-70 Chevroner
04-17-2021, 07:11 PM
There is a guy on here that will put a new barrel on it. I would look into it because it would be well worth it. As long as the rest of the gun works ok, it is definitely worth it. I shoot a 38-55 Marlin and the Lee 250gr Plane base boolit is my go to mold. It shoots great.

gwpercle
04-17-2021, 07:37 PM
If there is little or no rifling left in the barrel you might check with J.E.S. Rifle Reboring
www.35caliber.com and see what your options are .
They are know for fixing model 94 Winchesters with shot-out barrels ... I bet they have an idea or two .
Gary

PositiveCaster
04-17-2021, 08:25 PM
There aren’t many options for reboring the OP’s barrel. The ~.380” bore is as big as the case will take. A 1901-vintage M94 is probably not a good platform for something like a larger case wildcat with a .411” or .430” bore. Relining would probably be the best solution short of a new barrel.