PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle; I anticipate issues.

Idaho45guy
04-16-2021, 08:11 AM
Got a couple of rifles for sale on Gunbroker and one of the auctions is ending today. So yesterday, I went to the Post Office, which is 100 yards from my house, and asked the Postmaster there how to mail a rifle. I know I have to have a copy of the FFL and have to mail it to the dealer. Just wanted to get an idea of the cost and hassle, and if they wanted to inspect it before I taped up the box and all that to make sure it was unloaded.

He had no idea what the rules or process was. He looked on his computer for a few minutes and finally printed off a few sheets and handed them to me and told me to read up on it.

I'm thinking I may just go to UPS and have them ship it.

I figured the small town local post office would be simple and easy, but maybe not.

Tatume
04-16-2021, 08:27 AM
The best way to do this is to go to your local FFL and pay him to mail the rifle for you.

He will put your rifle on his books, fill out the PS 1508 form, and the post office will accept the boxed rifle from him.

GregLaROCHE
04-16-2021, 08:33 AM
I always thought it was the FFL who had to ship them.

Buzz Krumhunger
04-16-2021, 08:35 AM
The Post Office insurance is about completely worthless, too. They’ve broken a rifle stock at the wrist once on a gun I shipped, and wouldn’t pay for the damage. If there’s an easy way to disassemble the barreled action from the stock to shorten the package you might want to do so.

My experience is that a UPS store won’t ship it. I think it will have to be done at a UPS hub. I’ve decided the best route is to visit my ffl and see if he’ll let me pack it, and he ship it for me. The transfer fee he charges is offset by the better rate he gets on shipping.

Also, if I pack it, I can satisfy myself that it’s done properly. I always take lots of good pictures of the condition of the gun and the way I pack it, in case of a damage claim.

Petrol & Powder
04-16-2021, 08:40 AM
Because shipping costs are passed on to the purchaser, I would be inclined to use FedEx or UPS instead of USPS.

I think Tatume's suggestion may be an even better route. It will add to the cost of the process but it is a cost borne by the purchaser.

I have encountered FFL holders that will only deal with FFL to FFL transfers. That has nothing to do with USPS or any other shipping but it does simplify matters.

My personal preference is FedEx, but I have a regional FedEx center not far from me and they have excellent service at the counter.

Tatume
04-16-2021, 08:46 AM
With my FFl the cost is break-even between me driving to a UPS hub (45 miles each way) and paying them $70, or paying the FFL $20 and the USPS about $60 with insurance. The insurance is worthless as insurance, but I think USPS is less likely to lose a package insured for $1000.

Handloader109
04-16-2021, 08:54 AM
If it were me, I'd go UPS or Fedex if either were close to you. And Box well. I got an old Mauser from a gentleman here that lives in WA and he packaged really well and sent USPS, but cost was $70. Might as well use UPS or FEDEX at that price.

garandsrus
04-16-2021, 09:07 AM
I have shipped rifles with UPS and not had any issues. The price was reasonable.

Texas by God
04-16-2021, 09:12 AM
I take them to a “ box and ship” store and send them with FedEx to the purchser’s FFL. I have had zero problems- so far.

Idaho45guy
04-16-2021, 09:44 AM

Nope. Only handguns.

Idaho45guy
04-16-2021, 09:57 AM
Just read through most of the applicable regs and confirmed I can mail it to an FFL in another state. But, I was planning on mailing it in the original box the rifle came in. Nope. Cannot have any markings on the box to indicate that a firearm is inside. So, I may still mail it in the original box, but just wrap it up in paper sacks.

But, I have to present it to the post office and let them open it up for inspection, so can't wrap it up until they inspect it. This is for a Marlin 1894 that looks like will sell for $600.

The other rifle is a Ruger M77 "boat paddle" rifle that I bought new in 2000. ox is long gone, so I bought a cheap $20 rifle hard case to ship it in. Hoping it sells for around $1000, to make all the effort worth it.

No_1
04-16-2021, 10:01 AM
I box rifles up discreetly including a copy of the FFL, a copy of my communication with the receiving FFL, a copy of my DL, and the contact information of the final recipient. I then take it to the USPS counter, answer all questions, purchase insurance, add signature required, pay their fee and send it on its way. Easy peasy.

atr
04-16-2021, 10:06 AM
I have shipped several rifles through USPS with no issues. I do the packing to make certain that the possibility of damage is reduced. I have found that the cheapest way to get insurance is to ask for $501.00 of insurance.
Very true that the packaging cannot indicate that there is a rifle inside. In fact even when I sent it to a gun shop I leave off the gun shop title and just use the address.
atr

HATCH
04-16-2021, 10:14 AM
There are some changes in each state but here is a couple pointers.

USPS
- can ship long guns only unless your a FFL holder
- FFL holders can ship pistols FFL to FFL using USPS - and it can be priority mail not overnight.
- can ship individual to FFL holder
- Box the long gun up. Securely package it. Lots of bubble wrap.
- DO NOT mark the outside the box that it contains a firearm.
- Insure the package for the sale price of the weapon.
- include a copy of the FFL, a copy of your state issued ID (DL or ID), and a copy of the bill of sale (optional)
- ship priority mail only

UPS
- According to their own web site you can get fined if you ship a firearm using their service and you aren't a daily shipper.
- So you can't just go online and ship it. If you do and it is lost then you are screwed as they will not honor insurance.
- I suppose you can carry it in but then you have to declare it and make sure you insure it for MAX value as it might not make it where it is going.

FedEx
- This is my go to on handguns or anything that is too costly via USPS.
- You do have to declare what is in the package but I typically just put machined parts.
- I insure it for sale price.
- For handguns, I use their provided boxes. Again, bubble wrap is your friend.
- According to their regulations, handguns MUST go overnight. This isn't a BATFE requirement but a requirement of the carrier.
- I typically use 2nd day air or even use ground if it will arrive the next day anyway.
- The requirement for NDA is that they want to get the firearm out of their hands ASAP.

I know I didn't say this in every section above but DO NOT mark the outside of the box that it contains a firearm.
I would also state that I personally wouldn't tell anyone that it contains a firearm.

Well that's all I got. I have shipped 40 or 50 firearms over the past years.

rockrat
04-16-2021, 10:19 AM
Took a Norinco 97 shotgun to mail yesterday at the USPS. They measured the box, stuck it on the scales, I showed them the FFL it was going to in order to prove that it was going to an FFL, paid my money and left. They know me there and know I occasionally ship things like that. Another town might be different, but here, no problem.

snowwolfe
04-16-2021, 10:20 AM
You don’t even need the dealers FFL you are mailing the rifle to. Just verify they are a active dealer on the ATF web site.
Be prepared for sticker shock. I mailed a Win 94 from TN to MT yesterday and with insurance it cost me $72 thru USPS.

HATCH
04-16-2021, 10:21 AM
My post office just asked the typical - liquid, perishable, or fragile
Again, I will state you don't have to tell the USPS the box contains a firearm.
I use PAYPAL for my USPS shipping.
I can do everything on their and it saves me some money.

downzero
04-16-2021, 10:25 AM
I don't think you even need to have a copy of the FFL, it just has to be shipped to a licensee. The common way it's done is that they'll send you a signed copy, but I'm not even sure that's required, just common practice.

I have mailed rifles and shotguns many times, to gunsmiths to be repaired, for warranty service, and to sell them. It's not a big deal at all.

Handguns are a pain in the butt and I wish they'd fix that.

Idaho45guy
04-16-2021, 10:31 AM
There are some changes in each state but here is a couple pointers.

USPS
- FFL holders can ship pistols FFL to FFL using USPS - and it can be priority mail not overnight.

This is from what the Postmaster printed off and handed to me yesterday, indicating that I can ship long guns from private person to FFl...

Tatume
04-16-2021, 10:48 AM
Again, I will state you don't have to tell the USPS the box contains a firearm.

Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm.
https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

downzero
04-16-2021, 11:06 AM
Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm.
https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-us/articles/222836508-Firearms-Shipping-Guide

That article does not say that federal law so requires. Do you have a citation?

I have had zero luck shipping anything if I tell them it contains a firearm. It creates a great deal of hassle.

Tatume
04-16-2021, 11:14 AM
That article does not say that federal law so requires. Do you have a citation?

I have had zero luck shipping anything if I tell them it contains a firearm. It creates a great deal of hassle.

The article does say what I said it says and the statement in my post is a copy-and-paste from the article. The citation was provided in the form of a URL that will take you directly to the article.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

downzero
04-16-2021, 11:55 AM
The article does say what I said it says and the statement in my post is a copy-and-paste from the article. The citation was provided in the form of a URL that will take you directly to the article.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

I assume they're talking about 18 U.S.C. 922(e):

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

I don't want to opine too much on it other than to say this appears to be narrower than what the ATF's website suggests.

waksupi
04-16-2021, 12:37 PM
Call BATF is you have questions.

I've shipped several hundred guns. It cost around $60-75 insured through USPS. The only guns I had damaged were through UPS.

scattershot
04-16-2021, 01:28 PM

I think that’s just handguns.

GregLaROCHE
04-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Nope. Only handguns.

Thanks for clarifying that for me. The last time I shipped a gun (early’90s), I was only told not to include the bolt in the same package. No other paperwork. A lot has changed.

richhodg66
04-16-2021, 08:40 PM
I sent a gun via the postal service about ten years ago. No problems, in fact, a lot easier for me than Fedex or UPS since I didn't have to drive 40 miles to drop it off. Very small town post office where I knew the postmaster who was a very feet on the ground type of gal. I asked first and she didn't know but said she'd find out, checked the regs and as long as it was going to an FFL (it was) no problems.

M-Tecs
04-16-2021, 09:07 PM
USPS
- Box the long gun up. Securely package it. Lots of bubble wrap.
- DO NOT mark the outside the box that it contains a firearm.
- Insure the package for the sale price of the weapon.
- include a copy of the FFL, a copy of your state issued ID (DL or ID), and a copy of the bill of sale (optional)
- ship priority mail only

That is correct for mailing a long gun to someone else. It is not correct if you are sending it to yourself for hunting. I mail rifles to Alaska to myself and back to myself . It's easier than taking them thru multiple airlines.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-mail-guns/#:~:text=%20As%20a%20nonlicensee%20under%20basic%2 0federal%20law%2C,your%20state.%20While%20the%20po st%20office...%20More%20

Shipping Firearms Without an FFL
For those of us who do not hold an FFL but want to mail a firearm, ATF terms us as nonlicensees. As a nonlicensee under basic federal law, your ability to mail a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service—USPS—without the involvement of an FFL is limited:

You can ship a firearm to yourself in a state where you plan “to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity.” You must address it to yourself “in care of” the out-of-state resident. Once it arrives, no one but you can take possession of or open the package, so you must be at the destination to receive it.
You can ship a firearm to another nonlicensed person in your state. While the post office will allow nonlicensees to mail long guns to other nonlicensees in the same state, it restricts its services for handguns and pistols to FFL holders. Nonlicensees who want to ship a handgun are limited to contract carriers, which—by the way—require that you ship the gun to or through an FFL holder.
You can ship a firearm to a person in another state only if you ship it to an FFL holder in the destination state. That is, if you wish to transfer a firearm to a nonlicensee who resides in another state, you must ship the gun to an FFL holder in your recipient’s state. The FFL holder will release the firearm to the person once they’ve completed the ATF Form 4473 and NICS background check. Even if you are shipping a gun for repair, if your gunsmith is out-of-state, they must either hold an FFL themselves or receive your gun through someone who does.

tomme boy
04-17-2021, 01:45 AM
I always took them to work and shipped them with ups. The company discount was about 80% off of what you would pay at the hub. Overnighted a 1911 pistol to STI in Texas. Cost $ 12 or so. I used usps to ship a rifle once and it was over $70. Last time I ever do that.

smithnframe
04-17-2021, 07:36 AM
My local post office won’t let me ship unprimed brass!

richhodg66
04-17-2021, 07:38 AM

Why did you tell them? Anytime I ship anything they ask "anything hazardous, liquid or fragile/" none of the above in any possible way. What's in the package beyond that is really of no concern.

Idaho45guy
04-17-2021, 03:34 PM
UPS says to take a firearm to a UPS Hub for shipping, but I have no idea what a UPS Hub is, or how to find one. I cannot find any use of the term "Hub" on the UPS website when searching for locations.

My nearest zip code with people is 83843 if anyone can figure out where one of these magical "Hubs" are at.

Burnt Fingers
04-17-2021, 03:44 PM

Why not?

If you don't tell them what it is and answer the questions truthfully it will ship.

Burnt Fingers
04-17-2021, 03:46 PM
UPS says to take a firearm to a UPS Hub for shipping, but I have no idea what a UPS Hub is, or how to find one. I cannot find any use of the term "Hub" on the UPS website when searching for locations.

My nearest zip code with people is 83843 if anyone can figure out where one of these magical "Hubs" are at.

Follow a brown truck around till it returns to home. Bingo, you just found the hub.

Burnt Fingers
04-17-2021, 03:48 PM

Follow a brown truck around till it returns to home. Bingo, you just found the hub.

Or go to https://www.ups.com/dropoff/

put in your ZIP. You're looking for the Customer Service centers.

Handloader109
04-17-2021, 04:24 PM

My nearest zip code with people is 83843 if anyone can figure out where one of these magical "Hubs" are at.Pullman WA. the customer service centers. everything else is a contract store or drop box

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bigwagon
04-17-2021, 05:06 PM

Your PO is run by idiots. Unprimed brass is scrap metal. Since when is it illegal to ship scrap metal?