PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Stick(s)

Pb&j
04-15-2021, 08:46 PM
After having a blast killing a pig with a S&W 500 over a borrowed shooting stick, I've realized how helpful they can be for getting on target with certain firearms. The one I borrowed had to be "frankensteined" to even work decently so here is my question. What shooting stick would you recommend for longevity and possible other uses than just keeping a muzzle up? Seems there is lots of stuff out there, but some use tools often, others just a few times and it collects dust. I've found shooting the 500 off the stick to be much more enjoyable than a table and rest. Would like to spend money on a decent product, not another piece of S product sitting next to a trash can. Cheers!

William Yanda
04-16-2021, 09:29 AM
I would be tempted to buy a roll of camo duct tape and hit the thrift shops for a ski pole.

MrWolf
04-16-2021, 11:22 AM
I have the Primus Gen 3 Trigger Stick - Jim Shockey edition. Three pole and a trigger type switch to adjust. I really like it. Good luck.
Ron

FLINTNFIRE
04-16-2021, 05:23 PM
Build your own

W.R.Buchanan
04-17-2021, 04:48 PM
I have a 2 pole Trigger stick and it is nice but I wish I would have bought the 3 pole tripod version as it will stand up by itself. The others won't and when you are trying to get set up for a shot and you have to fumble around with your gun and then the sticks too, it becomes awkward if the sticks wont' stand up by themselves. you need three to 4 hands to deal with them.

With the Tripod Version, it stands up by itself, so you set it in place and then set your gun on top of it.

Randy

lotech
04-19-2021, 07:37 AM
I've had good results with a BogPod and a Trigger Stick, both tripod models.

Wayne Smith
04-19-2021, 02:58 PM
I have a 2 pole Trigger stick and it is nice but I wish I would have bought the 3 pole tripod version as it will stand up by itself. The others won't and when you are trying to get set up for a shot and you have to fumble around with your gun and then the sticks too, it becomes awkward if the sticks wont' stand up by themselves. you need three to 4 hands to deal with them.

With the Tripod Version, it stands up by itself, so you set it in place and then set your gun on top of it.

Randy

Randy, put about 4" of spike on the ends. It'll stand up unless you are on rock!

W.R.Buchanan
04-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Wayne: Might have to try that? Thanks for the idea. Randy

david s
04-19-2021, 07:56 PM
I've used home made two stick shooting sticks and was recently given a BOG POD tri pod set. Three beats two in my opinion. The BOG POD came with a "V" rest and it works alright. I built an aluminum plate with a center post to mount a PROTECTOR leather sausage bag on the BOG POD. This works better for me.

white eagle
04-20-2021, 10:04 AM
I built my own cross sticks
I like to be able to break them down and reassemble them on stand
so I made them to do just that
they can be made as needed for your particular applications and uses

fiberoptik
04-20-2021, 12:18 PM
Here’s how to make your own. http://www.prbullet.com/stix.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mrlucky353
04-26-2021, 04:57 PM
Was the borrowed shooting stick a single stick, a bipod, or a tripod?

I have a bipod and a tripod I don't use anymore.
Each had its advantages and disadvantages.

kaiser
04-26-2021, 11:29 PM
I have not had very good luck with 2 prong shooting sticks. Technic, confidence, etc.? I have missed more shots trying to use them than shooting from a kneeling or sitting position the service taught me to use. Using 3 pronk sticks have worked, but was used more for the confidence of the PH than myself. Give me a pack or bag to shoot off from prone or “bracing” and I’m at home, give me a 2 prong stick and I’ll shoot high every time. Each to his own��

lotech
04-27-2021, 08:30 AM
Something to consider when shooting off sticks of any kind, store bought or homemade...do some shooting with them at various ranges to verify point of impact vs. point of impact after zeroing from a benchrest. It can vary. When I first tried this (out to 300 yards, I think) using a BogPod tripod, my shots were generally higher than the bench zero, not enough to miss a game animal, but they were high. After becoming more accustomed to shooting off the BogPod, point of impacts were the same as a bench zero. I'm pretty sure this will vary from one shooter to another, but it's worth doing.

444ttd
04-27-2021, 01:10 PM
i have a tri pod bogpod and a bipod primos trigger stick.

Mrlucky353
04-27-2021, 02:18 PM
I have a Slik SBH-150-DQ Tripod with Rest Adapter.

Very stable for shooting when standing.

It looks like a pigmy in the picture without the legs extended.

But with the legs extended, it's tall enough for standing shots.

BamaNapper
04-27-2021, 02:49 PM
I've been wanting to play with one of the Primos trigger stick monopods. I like the trigger on the handle for adjusting the length. I mostly hunt from a tree stand and the length of the stick is dependent on the distance to the critter. Being able to quietly and easily adjust the length while keeping the rifle on the stick seems like the way to go. Like I said, haven't tried one but I keep looking at them. They're also not stupid expensive.

04-27-2021, 04:23 PM
My buddy is South Africa was tickled pink to have me use his 3 stick set up. I missed an otherwise easy shot with them. I never use that kind. I most often cut a nice walking stick and use it as a monopod. Walking around utility and when it's time, I have a nice rest by gripping it and the rifle together. Easy to change elevation or shots right or left. I guess it's what you get used to.

atr
04-28-2021, 10:45 AM
I've built my own...I used our old Christmas trees and skinned them down. I've made two types; tall ones for shooting standing up and shorter ones for shooting kneeling
they do help...

Ickisrulz
04-29-2021, 12:42 AM
I made and use a set of these:

https://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

sparky45
04-29-2021, 08:54 AM
Bogpod works for me.

429421Cowboy
05-02-2021, 09:18 PM
I go the route of fiberglass fence posts (3/8” or so) and a strip of bike inner tube. The missus likes the same poles but drilled with a bolt through them and a wing nut to tighten if needed. Some cord from a climbing type rope over the fork end for padding and a couple short sections down low to quiet the rattle and good to go.

Waisting lead
06-15-2021, 01:55 AM
Considering where I live I've found the best thing for me is a dried rib from a sagauro cactus. Sand it down a little and put some oil on it and you have a very light and sturdy walking stick also.