PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Pacific .45 ACP "L" Die

strangwn
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I have a Pacific die that is stamped "Pacific" and "45 ACP". Opposite the "45 ACP" it is stamped "L". The top of the die is threaded, but whatever is supposed to screw into it is missing. I first thought it was a sizer die because it does somewhat size a fired case. However, it does not size the case as much as my RCBS carbide die. Is this a seater die meant to also make sure that the loaded case is sized enough to chamber properly? It does not seem to have any provision for crimping.

Bent Ramrod
12-31-2008, 01:29 AM
Strangwn,

Is there a tapered conical cavity below the threads on the top of the die? There is a die designated "L" in my Pacific Gun Sight catalog which is for pulling the bullets from loaded ammunition. The conical cavity holds a collet arrangement and the threaded plug is tightened down to grip the bullet.

Absent that, could the "L" be a badly marked "F?" There are noticeable differences in sizing dies. I have a Lachmiller .44 Spl/Magnum that sizes pretty minimally and an RCBS that sizes small enough so the seated boolit visibly swells the case. Ammunition loaded in both fit fine in the chambers of my revolver, so I use the Lachmillers to save overworking the brass.

Ugly Dwarf
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
You may want to call Hornady. I believe (I could be mistaken) Pacific changed their name to Hornady in the 80's.

I've not personally called them for help with my old .223 dies, but I have heard good things about their service.

They may be able to provide more insight on what you have and / or send you any parts you're missing.

strangwn
01-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the comments and guidance. The die does not have that tapered conical cavity below the threaded portion. I will post some pictures here and will also try to contact Hornady. Anyone have any other ideas?

Shepherd2
01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
I have a set of Pacific Durachrome dies for .45 ACP. The 3 dies are all stamped Pacific Durachrome and below that is the caliber and a number. The resizing die (not carbide) is stamped 45acp No. 1. The top of the die is threaded like your die. The decapping and belling die is stamped No. 2 45acp and the bullet seating & crimping die is stamped 45acp No. 3. Dies 2 & 3 are threaded also and have stems in them for that die's intended use.

All three dies bodies are the same length. It looks to me as though Pacific made the die bodies and threaded the tops on all of them. Then additional machining was done to make it into a No. 1 2, or 3 die.

As far as your die missing something, I don't think there was anything there to begin with. I bought my set new years ago and there was nothing in the top of the sizing die.

strangwn
01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Here are some pictures of the die in question. The threads in the top of the die are 9/16". The opening through the die is pretty much wide open except for the sizer? portion at the bottom which measures 0.474" ID. I can screw an RCBS .45 ACP expander/decapper stem all the way into the die until it runs out of threads at the top.

Bret4207
01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Looks like an expander die to me, for expanding or belling the case mouth prior to loading, especially with Lead boolits.