PDA

View Full Version : Lyman mold issues

DanM
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
I have been working up loads for my M96 Swede using a good Lyman 266455 mold loaned to me by Johnly (thanks again), and having pretty good results. These 130gr boolits are doing well for me, even at 2000fps. This mold was great because it dropped at .268", and rounded out nicely thru my .267" sizer. I need .267" diameter for this rifle. My problem is with a Lyman 266469, 140gr mold that I bought from MidSouth. The one I got from MS dropped only at .265-.266", and wasn't as round as I would like. I took Buckshot's advice and sent it back to Lyman along with a nice letter. I received the replacement mold last week, and tried it Sunday. Well, the new mold drops smaller than the one I sent back, only 264-265". I was hoping to avoid the task of honing out a iron mold, and don't really trust myself to do it right. I am wondering if I should send the replacement mold back, hoping that Lyman pulls a fat one off the shelf this time. Or, maybe I would do better asking for the 266673, 150sil mold instead. I didn't expect this much trouble finding a .268" mold. Seems to be just luck o' the draw. So, do yall think I should keep sending them back until Lyman pulls a winner? Or maybe ask them to swap the 140rn for a 150sil? Or maybe there is someone here with more experience that would do the honing to .268" on the mold I have? Suggestions?

Shiloh
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
What did Lyman tell you the first time?

They may ask what alloy you are using and say that you should use Lyman #2 or Linotype. If it was me, I would tell them just what my requirements are for the specified purpose, and ask if they have such a mold. Once again, do this with the utmost respect, good manners, and be on your best behavior. I disagree that it should be the luck of the draw. One should get what one pays for.

This is NOT the first time I have read posts about Lyman or others molds dropping undersize boolits.

Shiloh

TAWILDCATT
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
actually the molds would be correct for a 6.5 bullet.Lee made a 6.5[.670 mold for swedes/carcanos.]

mrbill2
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
SEND IT BACK. The exact same thing happened to me. I sent then a 311644 back in the begining of Dec. because it cast too small and got a replacement that cast smaller than the one I sent to them. The replacement casts the nose at .298 and the driving bands at .308. I call customer service again and the person I talked to said I should send it back along with bullet samples cast from Lyman #2and wheelweights. If we don't return the molds they will assume that they corrected the problem and will continue to ship molds that are too small. I'm going to put it in the mail in the morning.
Mr. Bill

kooz
12-30-2008, 11:32 PM
I also just bought a 4-cav Lyman .44 cal mold and it drops bullets between .425 and .428 depending on the cavity. Called them today and they said send it back. It will continue to go back until I get a good one.

Crash_Corrigan
12-31-2008, 12:12 AM
I have a Lee mould that supposed to cast a .312 boolit. I know I need it to be at least .315 for my SMLE and .316 would be even better. I just bought a roll of aluminum foil tape from Lowes and I am gonna BEAGLE that 2 holer Lee and see what I end up with. I have nothing to lose and if I mangle the mold I am out 17 bucks. Big deal!

If that works than I will also work on a Lyman .311 to get me .314 for my 327 MAG Charter Arms 2 3/4" tubed 6 shooter. I cannot get brass anywhere so I bit the bullet and bought 100 rds of factory from Midway. First factory bullets I have bought other than 12 Gauge in 15 years and it is heresey. Can you believe 25 bucks for 50 rounds. THAT IS WHY WE RELOAD AND CAST BOOLITS.

VintageRifle
12-31-2008, 01:19 AM
From the LEE Precision website:

Increasing mold diameter

If you need the mold diameter of your cast bullets to be increased just slightly, there is a way to accomplish this with negligible ballistic results.

With the mold open, be sure you liberally lube the mold blocks in front of and behind the bullet cavity. Place a small section of cigarette paper or writing paper to the lubed block . This prevents it from burning.

When casting the bullet, the diameter of the bullet will be increased by the paper width. You can actually go up to about .010 before you begin to see lead flashing appear. While the bullet will be slightly "out of round", this very minimum amount will not effect accuracy or the manner in which the bullet travels through the forcing cone and barrel of your gun.

From surplusrifle.com:
Non-Perminent Solution to As-Cast Bullet Size.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/castingcouch/index.asp

DanM
12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the comments. This mold is too small for beagleing to cure. I tried the Beagle technique on the first mold, which dropped .001" larger than the replacement, and it still was not enough to give me a .267" boolit. My alloy is very hard. Here is my mix: In my 50lb smelting pot, when the wheel weights are clean I add a 1lb roll of 95/5 solder and drop my ingots. Then in my 20lb pot, I add a large tablespoon of magnum shot for rifle bullets. I water drop the boolits, and after a week or so, they test at 24-26bhn. I will take the advice given, and send back this mold along with a few boolits. I am pretty sure that Lyman will just pull a replacement off the shelf without testing for size. Wish me luck....:roll:

mroliver77
12-31-2008, 12:57 PM
DanM, you stated that the original mold dropped @ .265/.266 but you could not Beagle it to .267? I have Beagled .005 easily
As to out of round boolits, most boolits drop out of round for me. It seems they are always smaller at the seam. They do shoot very well when fitted properly.
Lyman molds were historically way big. I dont know why they run Close or small these days. Lyman manual claims large accuracy loss when sizing down. They apparently have never pow wowed with Buckshot on this.
Personally I just lap undersize molds out to get what I want. It is not hard.
J

DanM
12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Yep, the first mold was out of round enough so that when beagled, the parting line dimension was only .266". Possibly the aluminum tape I am using is thinner than yours....

yodar
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
I have a Lee mould that supposed to cast a .312 boolit. I know I need it to be at least .315 for my SMLE and .316 would be even better. I just bought a roll of aluminum foil tape from Lowes and I am gonna BEAGLE that 2 holer Lee and see what I end up with. I have nothing to lose and if I mangle the mold I am out 17 bucks. Big deal!

If that works than I will also work on a Lyman .311 to get me .314 for my 327 MAG Charter Arms 2 3/4" tubed 6 shooter. I cannot get brass anywhere so I bit the bullet and bought 100 rds of factory from Midway. First factory bullets I have bought other than 12 Gauge in 15 years and it is heresey. Can you believe 25 bucks for 50 rounds. THAT IS WHY WE RELOAD AND CAST BOOLITS.
===============================================

I have the Lee 155-311-2R and if I add a heaping tablespoon full of magnum shot, the mould throws a sizable percentage as large as .315 (reduces shrinkage) Those are the ones I set aside for the MN 91/30 and smellie

yodar

DanM
02-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Got the mold back again from Lyman, and it is still small. The receipt read: 'mold casts small recut for .265-.266". The mold did look like it had been recut, and does now drop at .265-6". Unfortunately, I need .268" to size to .267", which is what I asked for. Have not tried Beagling yet. Will beagle next try. I guess Lyman is not going to come through with what I need....:roll:

Maven
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
"The receipt read: 'mold casts small recut for .365-.366"."

DanM, You DID mean .265" - .266" didn't you, or did Lyman send you the wrong mold?

mpmarty
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Undersize molds are the result of bean counters mandating X number of molds from a cherry. As the cherry wears the cavity gets smaller.

HangFireW8
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Can you believe 25 bucks for 50 rounds. THAT IS WHY WE RELOAD AND CAST BOOLITS.

You got off cheap, Crash.

Last month's American Rifleman assures us that it is OK that the latest Marlin/Hornady offering is not yet reloadable, due to lack of suitable bullets... a pack of 20 cartridges is ONLY $37.95!

-HF

mrbill2
02-19-2009, 09:01 PM
Got the mold back again from Lyman, and it is still small. The receipt read: 'mold casts small recut for .365-.366". The mold did look like it had been recut, and does now drop at .365-6". Unfortunately, I need .368" to size to .367", which is what I asked for. Have not tried Beagling yet. Will beagle next try. I guess Lyman is not going to come through with what I need....:roll:

I'm in the same boat. The first one I sent back they replaced with one that casts bullets smaller than the one I sent them. I sent the second one back Dec. 31. Still no mold. Since then I bought another mold 311679, same bs. Casts too small. I've used Lyman products for 45 years, they won't last another 45 with the stuff they are putting out today.
mrbill2

mtgrs737
02-20-2009, 12:36 AM
I got a Lee two cavity Mould from MidSouth that is oversized just for the Swedish Mausers, but it cast a very long 172gr. bore rider. Do a search here under "Cruise Missile" I was also lucky enough to get in on a GB for a 130 gr. .269" diameter lovern style boolit that shoots wonderfully in both my Swedes. Buckshot made the Lyman style size die and Lee modified a set of their Collet dies to load the larger boolits.

Recluse
02-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Welcome to the "new" Lyman company. . .:rolleyes:

Sheesh, how I miss the OLD Lyman company.

No faster way to lose the core of your business (us reloaders and casters) than the way they're doing it right now.

:coffee:

Slow Elk 45/70
02-20-2009, 04:17 AM
So much for common sense and the customer is always right...like the man said..bean counters 100/ common sense 0.
I guess I will keep paying for custom moulds, I have several older lyman that give me a good usable boolit , you have convinced me I don't need the grief with any new ones.

S.L.

qajaq59
02-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Considering I just ordered a new Lyman mold you guys aren't exactly filling me with confidence. Guess I better check it right away when it comes in?

DanM
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Oops, Should read .265-.266". So, do I have a legitimate complaint here? Or is this mold within spec at .265-6? Am I asking Lyman for something beyond what they should be expected to deliver?

mtgrs737....Have had a cruise missle mold on BO from MidSouth for 3-4 months. Buckshot made my .267" sizer. I would love to find a 6.5Kurtz mold that is left over from the group buy and available for purchase.....

DanM
03-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Well, I 'double beagled' this mold, and got it to just touch in my .267" sizer. Got a little nose flash on a few, not a problem. Maybe it will work now....

qajaq59
03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Considering I just ordered a new Lyman mold you guys aren't exactly filling me with confidence. Guess I better check it right away when it comes in?
I did cast them and checked it. It went back today. TOO small.... And it isn't the alloy because I have another #311041 mold and I cast that also with the same pot of lead. They are definitely different sizes. Nuts

DanM
03-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Sorry to hear that undersized Lyman molds are getting so common. I found a good used Lyman #268645, a discontinued mold that I have high hopes for. At least it will probably be fat enough for my Sewde bore. I think we need to rerun the 6.5 Kurtz GB....