PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Recoil Buffers

Tatume
04-13-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi Folks,

For years I've read about recoil buffers, and could never understand what they actually accomplished. When I ordered some new springs recently I decided to go ahead and spend $5 on Wilson buffers to see for myself. The advertising blurb says "prevents the slide from battering the frame during recoil by sandwiching a ... buffer between the slide and frame contact areas." But the instructions say to put the buffer on the recoil spring guide and then install the spring. So, it does not go between the slide and frame, and appears to do nothing at all, except perhaps to slightly compress the spring.

I knew all this, and I'm sure you did too, before I spent my hard-earned $5, but I wanted to see if I was missing something. To my view, shock buffers appear to be snake oil. Am I, in fact, missing something?

Thanks, Tom

imashooter2
04-13-2021, 11:18 AM
The plastic will absorb some energy, so it will reduce the battering that the gun was designed to withstand. A solution to a non existent problem. It does make a quick $4 profit for Wilson, so they aren’t worthless.

Valley-Shooter
04-13-2021, 11:25 AM
Put one in, shoot 500 rounds of 45 acp IPSC major rounds. It will have impressions from the slide battering it.
Don't bother if you shoot target rounds

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

CoolHandMoss
04-13-2021, 12:28 PM
Doesn't it cause the spring to reach full compression sooner and effectively limit how far back the slide goes?

RJM52
04-13-2021, 12:40 PM
The buffer goes over the recoil spring guide between the head and the spring... When the slide comes back, the bottom of the dust cover impacts the buffer...that is where the shock is absorbed...

Some guns will run with them, some won't. Don't use them with a Commander. If you notice with the buffer out and the slide retracted all the way, the slide stop is ahead of the slide stop notch on the slide. Put the buffer in and when the slide is fully retracted the two line up. Under recoil the slde stop can the jump into the notch...been there, done that.

I only use buffers in 10mm and .45 Super...

Bob

Der Gebirgsjager
04-13-2021, 01:02 PM
Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread. Personally, I have them in all of my 1911s. As noted by Valley-Shooter, after not-so-many rounds you will find a horseshoe shaped impression on the buff from impact. If there was no impact at that location there would be no impression. As also stated, the pistol was not designed to have one, and many 1911s in constant service since....well....1911....show no ill effects from not having a buff. On the other hand, I have seen 1911s with cracked frames, but never one that had a Shok Buff. So, to me, it's kind of like cheap insurance.

As an aside, they should be changed periodically. Exactly what that period is I'm not sure, perhaps 2,000 rounds would be a good time, as that's when some folks change out their recoil springs. I frequently carry a Star Model B which in many ways is a copy of the 1911. They don't make a Shok Buff for the Star, which would require a smaller one, so I cut one for a 1911 down to size with a box knife. Put it in back about 2005. This pistol gets fired maybe 1 magazine per month just to keep my hand in, but not for competition, and due to the hassle of having to customize the Shok Buff I hadn't changed it out because of the low round count. Well, just last month I fired it, and in cleaning it found that the hammer was sticking. The Shok Buff had completely disintegrated into little blue chunks of hard plastic which were now throughout the gun like little chunks of gravel. I had to completely detail strip the pistol and clean all the parts. So, the lesson learned is that the Buffs do have a finite life span at the end of which they completely fail. Precisely when that is I can't say. That one lasted about 16 years, but did not see heavy use. I decided not to use them in the Star any more. Can't have a sticky hammer on your carry pistol!

DG

Char-Gar
04-13-2021, 02:56 PM
In time these buffers will mash out of shape and retard the slide speed. Then they will just roll snake eyes and tie up the pistol. That is just fine for a range pistol, but not on one which you will stake your life. That is why I still have some I have not used.

matrixcs
04-13-2021, 03:05 PM
the shock buffer is preventing the slide from hammering the frame...when the spring is fully compressed it is effectively a hardened tube slamming into the frame..

downzero
04-13-2021, 03:12 PM
Put one in, shoot 500 rounds of 45 acp IPSC major rounds. It will have impressions from the slide battering it.
Don't bother if you shoot target rounds

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We don't really shoot "IPSC" in the United States, but IPSC's Major PF is 170. A factory 230 grain .45 ACP load is 195 power factor. I don't know what you mean by "target rounds," but 45 ACP loaded at IPSC's Major power factor is weaker than the vast majority of factory ammunition. And USPSA's "Major" is even lower--165 pf.

On the subject at hand, restricting the slide from cycling all the way will cause issues. If you want your gun to shoot softer, use softer recoil and main springs, bevel your firing pin stop, and use faster burning powder and less of it. Shock buffers cause problems.

35remington
04-13-2021, 08:17 PM
If your 1911 spring fully compresses with slide movement something is egregiously wrong. Remove the spring and replace it with the correct one. A spring should never fully compress into a solid mass or tube where all the coils touch each other.

Such a condition does not harm the frame. It was designed to take impact there. What it kills is the recoil spring plug and bushing which were not designed for such a thing to occur.

A shok buff is fine for a range toy but should never be used in a carry gun.

Texas by God
04-13-2021, 08:30 PM
If I shot hundreds of rounds at a time weekly like in my young days I'd use them and I did. And changed them. If I had an alloy frame 1911 I'd use them, but I dont have one. My old .45 barely sees three hundred rounds a year, so I don't need one now.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

EMC45
04-13-2021, 08:36 PM
I put one in years ago and immediately started having malfunctions. I took it out promptly. I run a 16lb standard ball ammo recoil spring weight. 230gr over 4.5-4.7 Bullseye is my go to.

bosterr
04-13-2021, 11:36 PM
In time these buffers will mash out of shape and retard the slide speed. Then they will just roll snake eyes and tie up the pistol. That is just fine for a range pistol, but not on one which you will stake your life. That is why I still have some I have not used.

This was my experience as well.

04-14-2021, 12:16 AM
They are cheap, you may or may not like them, your gun may or may not work well with them. If you like them, use them.

But, I have to believe that, if they did anything to extend the life of the gun, the major manufacturers would be including them with their lifetime guaranteed products.

Petrol & Powder
04-14-2021, 07:10 AM
As Der Gebirgsjager pointed out, Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread. :D

The concept makes a little sense, something to decelerate the slide at the end of its travel. However, in practice, they seem to bring some additional problems.

I agree with Char-Gar, fine for a range pistol but not something for a pistol on which you stake your life.

My personal experience with them is they will eventually tie up the gun.

tazman
04-14-2021, 07:51 AM
As Der Gebirgsjager pointed out, Shok Buffs, always good for a controversial thread. :D

The concept makes a little sense, something to decelerate the slide at the end of its travel. However, in practice, they seem to bring some additional problems.

I agree with Char-Gar, fine for a range pistol but not something for a pistol on which you stake your life.

My personal experience with them is they will eventually tie up the gun.

My experience as well.

wwmartin
04-14-2021, 08:10 AM
Both of my new CZ 9mm came with one installed and 5 replacement. CZ Shadow2 and TS2. I don't know about the CZ 97 in 45 ACP it hasn't arrived yet. I haven't used them in my 1911s .

Bill

Bigslug
04-14-2021, 08:59 AM
Like RJM52 says, they will shorten your slide travel - not good on Commanders and REALLY not good on the shorter pseudo-Commanders and Officer's spin offs that start with a shortened slide stroke. I've seen them keep the breech face of the slide from even clearing the back of the mag well.

On a full size gun, I just run the next heavier recoil spring (18.5#) and it seems to soften things up nicely. It's always felt to me that this is how the gun likes to run GI spec ammo.This is just my pet theory, but my guess is that Colt and JMB may have opted for the 16# spring because they knew in a military environment - especially the critical test trials for the lucrative military contract - that the slide was going to have to power it's way backwards through sand, mud and various other less-than-optimal operating conditions. Unless you're planning for full-on abuse, that's not a concern.

DougGuy
04-14-2021, 09:27 AM
They do soften recoil somewhat, so that proves they are doing something. I used them in a pin gun where I was shooting 255gr Keith type boolits and they were very much appreciated.

I DO NOT use them in any carry gun or bedside gun.

I think I have 3 1911s now, and none have shok buffs.

Gtek
04-16-2021, 04:27 PM
Put them in your Mini-14, they do help some there.

Rodfac
04-16-2021, 10:16 PM
"I agree with Char-Gar, fine for a range pistol but not something for a pistol on which you stake your life. My personal experience with them is they will eventually tie up the gun." My experience as well in two Rugers, a Sig, a Remington-Rand 1911a1, and an even half dozen Colts over the years. Finally gave up on the idea...took awhile. They sound like a good idea, but if you're shooting the gun correctly sprung & as it was designed for bullet weight and velocity, their not needed. Rod

Divil
04-20-2021, 06:22 PM
Not a fan of them myself. Seems like they could induce a short stroke malfunction.

ioon44
04-21-2021, 09:15 AM
I have always used Wilson Shok Buffs with all my 1911's and every one I shoot with uses them also and shoot thousands of rounds a year in completion with out any problems.
After 500 or more rounds the buffs are getting pretty chewed up so they are absorbing a lot of impact.

AndyC
04-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Didn't like 'em when they became a "thing" in the late 80s or so, still don't.

samari46
04-22-2021, 01:16 AM
Have a Springfield armory (new SA not the old) that has well over 20k rounds down the tube. Mostly 230 gr hard cast and have always used shok buffs. Has a 18 pound recoil spring and never had a problem not going into battery, failures to feed or eject. Bullet is loaded to 830 fps. Used to shoot steel plate matches years back. never placed but sure had a lot of fun. Even use them in my 1943 Ithaca 1911A1. Frank

BD
04-22-2021, 05:27 AM
I believe that this depends entirely on the use and purpose of the gun. I have a commander length Kimber that has never seen a shock buff as it is only for carry. I also have a five inch Kimber that I still compete with and it has always had a shock buff in it. Why? because at over 150,000 rounds I have had to replace and re-fit along the way the barrel, bushing, slide stop, hammer, sear and guide rod, but so far neither the frame or slide. That is what shock buffs are for.

charlie b
04-22-2021, 09:07 AM
If you go back in history a bit...the buffers came to be with the Commander length slides. Frames were being battered a bit, especially the aluminum ones. Enter the buffer.

I keep one in the wife's .45 light Commander just to save the frame.

They are made to be replaced on a regular basis. When cleaning the gun they should be inspected and replaced if they show signs of deep indents. Yes, if left in there too long they will come apart and possibly jam the pistol. Using 'normal' loads in the commander I will get about 500 rounds before replacing.

Why don't I replace the recoil spring? If I use the next stiffer spring I get some malfunctions.

yeahbub
04-22-2021, 12:49 PM
Only once did a recoil buffer ever give me trouble when a 20 lb. spring finally bit through it and the buffer edges projected toward the muzzle enough to prevent locking back the slide. It was pretty aged and had hardened up noticeably. Other than that, I've had no trouble.

I've noticed that 1911's from different manufacturers will vary as to how much space they have to accommodate a buffer and still get the slide back far enough to be caught by the slide stop, which has to do with the depth of the spring guide seat in the frame among other things. Some guns have deep seats and these will easily work with a buffer. I once played with a "Firestorm" 1911 (remember those?) that could easily accommodate two buffers and a .030" thick buffer-shaped washer I added to evenly distribute the load and still had ample room to lock the slide. It had a noticeably gentle rubbery feel during recoil rather than the hard metallic crack it usually exhibited with stout handloads.

I suppose a solid buffer with greater working surface area could be devised out of Delrin or some other oil/solvent and impact resistant material tougher than neoprene and positioned between the spring guide and the frame which would reduce the likelihood of going to pieces and tying up the works. Has anyone seen anything like that? A spring steel wavy washer to dissipate shock? Just thinking out loud here. . . .

Der Gebirgsjager
04-22-2021, 02:55 PM
Great invention idea there, bub. Just a little R&D and your million $ awaits you.

DG

Martin Luber
04-22-2021, 05:15 PM
With use, true, they smash out and drag on the slide. You can change them, or trim the edges off with a razor knife. They do cut the sharpness of he impact, and l like the feel of them. I have around 100,000 rounds between the various 1911s l use.

Tatume
05-08-2021, 08:21 AM
The slot in the slide into which the slide stop rises to hold the slide open has an angled front side. The front side of the slot acts as a cam when the slide is retracted. It pushes down on the slide stop, moving it out of the way. When the slide is subsequently released (assuming no empty magazine is present), the slide stop stays down and the slide is free to run forward.

I purchased some "shock buffers" to learn what they are all about. Les Baer recommends against them. I tried one for the first time this week. I like to release the slide by pulling back and letting go. The buffer prevents the slide from moving back far enough for the cam surface to depress the slide stop. I removed the buffer, and the problem is cured.

murf205
05-08-2021, 10:25 PM
Put them in your Mini-14, they do help some there.

Yep, one made my Mini a good bit more accurate and along with a .040 gas port bushing, keeps the brass in the same county.