PDA

View Full Version : hollowpointmold.com

Glen
12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi folks --

My fondness for cast HP's is no secret, and I've been working with several moulds recently that I had Erik at www.hollowpointmold.com convert to drop HP bullets. The picture below is of the Ideal 403149 that I had him modify. It now makes a 315 grain cast HP, with a .120" diameter cavity that extends .375" down into the nose of the bullet. It casts beautifully and the bullets group well out of my .40-50 Sharps Straight Contender. I am working with several other moulds as well (both hollow point and cup-point designs), and will be writing up a full-length article for HHI's Sixgunner as soon as I finish my testing. The bottom-line is that Erik does very good work, and if you're considering having a mould converted you might want to consider his services.

JeffinNZ
12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I have seen the price of this work at USD36.00 (CBA forum). That is CHEAP for the service. Well worth it.

GSM
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Glen:

That link in your post is going to hurt my wallet. Looks like the man does top notch work.

Thanks.

Buckshot
12-31-2008, 01:59 AM
...............Looks like I need to raise my prices :-)

..............Buckshot

Bret4207
12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Man! I really like that Cramer style system! BEE-U-TEE-FULL!!!! And he's got the Wondesight. Good on him!

square butte
12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Durn'it, I new Buckshot was gonna see those prices. Shoulda got those molds sent off to him last week.

GLynn41
12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
:roll:I am with Square -I have been sending buckshot a mold for 2 years and have not do it yet

onceabull
12-31-2008, 12:01 PM
Bret: a 3,5,or 10 C. Cramer style HP'ed would be unique,I think..Or has someone seen an original in other than a single or dual cav.setup..?? Onceabull

Catshooter
12-31-2008, 12:47 PM
Best send yer moulds into Buckshot before he deceids he needs to double his prices!

Cat

GLL
12-31-2008, 12:58 PM
...............Looks like I need to raise my prices :-)

..............Buckshot

Oh crap ! Now I better quickly box up a few more moulds before Rick can type up a new price list ! ;) ;)

Jerry

cbrick
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Yesterday I shipped three moulds to Erik, Lyman 429460 HPGC to have a better fitting pin made and also have the gas check shank removed to cast a plain base. SAECO #388 160 gr 35 cal four cavity to have the bevel base removed and the one I'm really looking forward to . . . an LBT 45 cal 320 gr LFN two cavity converted to Cramer HP.

Exciting new toys from old toys coming, life is good.

Rick

Glen
01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Ooooh Rick! Neat idea! I also have a LBT 45 320 LFN-GC that I originally bought to use in my 454 Casull. Unfortunately, the nose is too long to work in a FA revolver, and I have other bullets that I prefer in the .45 Colt -- as a result it doesn't get used much.

BUT, if I were to convert this to a 305 grain HP, then it would be a very interesting hunting bullet for the .45 Colt!

Thanks for a great idea!

crabo
01-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Glen, what do you think about making the 9mm Devastor into a pb or gc boolit and thinning down the pin a little. Do you think that would make it a better performer and not as fragile?

I am thinking about using it in a 9mm AR carbine.

Thanks,

cbrick
01-02-2009, 02:46 AM
Glen, exactly . . . 45 Colt, 20 inch model 94 and a HP around 300 gr at about 1250 to 1300 fps. Should be potent pork medicine. Or should be once I get the rifle repaired.

Odd that this bullet didn't fit your FA. An FA 454 is also what I bought this mould for several years ago and it worked well out to a little over 100 yards. I don't remember trimming the brass back to make it work. At 150 yards the groups opened up and at 200 no groups, only a pattern . . . . But I figured in the Colt as a 100 yard bullet it should be a potent hunter.

Rick

Glen
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
My mistake Rick -- correction -- the mould I have is the LBT 45 325 LFN (not the 320). It has a nose length of approximately .415" and loaded rounds stick out the front of the FA cylinder. I just went and dug the mould out of the toolbox, and it's a 4-cavity, not a 2-cavity like I was remembering (so I'm having second thoughts about this HP conversion...).

crabo -- I like your idea of taking off the bevel-base from the 9mm Devastator (make it heavier and seal better) and thinning up the HP pin somewhat (to make the nose less fragile). Let us know how it turns out.

MakeMineA10mm
01-03-2009, 12:24 AM
You know, I was thinking the same thing about Buckshot's prices. That's why I tripped the trigger ASAP on a boolit I wanted. He's already got the mould and the check, so I got mine at the pre-recession prices!!

:razz:

Marlin Junky
01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I'd really like to hear from someone using the Cramer HP system. I can see that having the pin(s) contained in the mold would take care of pin cooling issues nicely, but how well does bullet ejection work and do the sliding surfaces wear? Would this be a good system for longer rifle type bullets (e.g., RCBS 30-180FN) or is it best used on medium and big bore revolver type bullets?

Thanks,
MJ

Glen
01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I am a big fan of the Cramer HP system. For the Cramer system, the pins need to be tapered in order to release the bullets easily, but if properly tapered, the bullets just drop off. I have not had any problem with the sliding surface wearing, and some of my Cramer moulds are significantly older than me!

cbrick
01-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Glen, what do you think about making the 9mm Devastor into a pb or gc boolit and thinning down the pin a little. Do you think that would make it a better performer and not as fragile? Thanks,

Craig, if you haven't already done this I'll let you know how or if this works out.

I'm sending two more moulds to Erik this week, one of them is #356637. I am having the bevel base removed, the base band opened up .001" and a couple different smaller pin styles made. I hope to use it as a lite weight vermin/plinker in a 357 revolver.

The other mould is the RCBS 44 300 gr SWC for the Cramer style HP in both cavities. Same pin style (same bullet) that Glen had made.

Rick

MT Gianni
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I had Buckshot slim down some pins for mine. It had little or no expansion in WW metal @ 25yards on gallon milk jugs.

crabo
01-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Craig, if you haven't already done this I'll let you know how or if this works out.

I'm sending two more moulds to Erik this week, one of them is #356637. I am having the bevel base removed, the base band opened up .001" and a couple different smaller pin styles made. I hope to use it as a lite weight vermin/plinker in a 357 revolver.

The other mould is the RCBS 44 300 gr SWC for the Cramer style HP in both cavities. Same pin style (same bullet) that Glen had made.

Rick

Cool, I am trying to figure out my priorities right now. Too many guns, too many molds, so little time....