PDA

View Full Version : Ruger new model flattop black hawk

firebyprolong
04-12-2021, 07:40 AM
I’ve been chasing one of these in 44 special with the 4.5 barrel for the last 5 years. As soon as I had extra cash the supply would dry up. Then the end of the world started last year and they really disappeared. Went to the Tulsa show yesterday and found exactly 2, 1 beat up example and one double the last msrp. Are these pistols everything I think they are? Should a 44 special on a 357 frame become my all consuming grail quest? Or should I just forget it and go shoot my super Blackhawk 44mag and save myself the anguish? I’m curious to hear from the guys that own and have shoot these, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Lefty Red
04-12-2021, 08:18 AM
I had the 4.75” barrel FT in 44spec, and yes it’s all of that and then some. I currently have the 5.5” and paid $500 for it, private sale NIB. Don’t like the 5.5” barrel, just doesn’t feel/handle well for me. Called Bowen Customs and thinking about sending it in for a Kenia Conversion. But don’t see where it would make the FT worth the $2000 I would have in it. Not discounting Mr Bowen’s work! The gentleman took time and talked to me and helped me to figure out what I should order. Nor do I think sending it back for a shorter barrel is worth it either. So pondering......

I will sound like a broken record and repeat this, a BH in 41 magnum is about perfect fit and feel. I haven’t seen one that didn’t shoot great. The 4.75”ish barrel balances well for me and I have taken deer out to 75 yards with a 265gr boolit. The thing is a laser! If I could get one in the FT version I would cry. But the regular version is calling to me again. Maybe will put one up and have the grip frame sent off for some custom grips while I will shim the hammer and trigger is needed. Maybe better sights. Or let Mr Bowen do his Basic Package on it.

Hard to beat a short barrel SBH with mild loads. I had one that I did send the grip frame in for some fitted grips and it was well worth it! Thinner and make it handle much better. And I added a lowered hammer on it. Those are the two point of interest that really may a difference in any SA I shot a lot. Not like a good Italian Clone of the 1873, but still pretty good.

contender1
04-12-2021, 09:29 AM
I have a pair of the .44 Spl Blackhawks,, but they aren't Flattops. They are good shooters for sure.
And as noted,, a good .41 mag is also a good option.
I'd suggest you sit on the money, stay strong & wait to find what YOU want.

375supermag
04-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Hi...
I have a pair of .44Spl flat top BlackHawks and they are excellent revolvers. Mine are 5-1/2" blued steel models.
I most likely would buy another if I ever find one in good condition at a reasonable price.

And I agree with a couple of other's who stated that the .41Mag is an excellent cartridge particularly in a Ruger BlackHawk. I have two of them, one of which is a 3 screw and they both are quite accurate and will easily handle quite powerful handloads with ease.

onelight
04-12-2021, 09:48 AM
I sure don't know how much you would like one . But my 4 5/8 , 44 special Bisley is my favorite Big bore . I find it very easy to hit with.

Thumbcocker
04-12-2021, 10:31 AM
Absolutely worth the wait and the search. Imho best guns Ruger has made in decades.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/59d44e4828553b892b85a1a6478e983d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/daa0003b04aceb17ee4e8aeba48ee128.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/df14b25cd1efdf09fd91ac425e6fd762.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rintinglen
04-12-2021, 11:08 AM
I have a 4 5/8'" blued and it is the real deal. I had had about a half dozen 44 specials, due to the malarkey spewed by Skeeter Skelton and Ol' Elmer about how great the 44 Spl. cartridge was. I had a 3rd generation Colt, A S&W hand ejector, a Charter Bulldog, and both a 4" M-24 and a 6 1/2 624. None of them shot anywhere close to as well as my S&W 14 or Python did.

However, the Flat-top is the most accurate 44 Spl I have ever had. The throats are virtually identical, and run just over .430, while there is no thread choke in the .429 barrel. Mine shoots better than I can by a fair margin. (It is somewhat humbling when you shoot a nice 2" group at 25 yards, then hand the gun to your buddy, who then proceeds to put the first 5 shots he's ever fired from that gun into a group that you can cover with a 50 cent piece.) I like mine immensely and have carried it while hunting, though I have not had much luck with it.

Bottom line, I would continue to look for one were I you. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Char-Gar
04-12-2021, 12:10 PM
There is allot of mythology floating around about the 44 Special round, due to the hype of some gunwriters. I have owned at least a half dozen or more 44 Specials over the years and have not found them to be anything special. The accuracy potential of any handgun is based on the revolver mechanics and not the caliber. For life in Texas, I favor the 357 Magnum, as my all around do all handgun caliber. If nostalgia is on tap, I will go with a 45 Colt revolver.

44MAG#1
04-12-2021, 12:33 PM
I had a FT Blackhawk 44 Special. I liked it but like the Smith M69 more. I frequently shoot 44 Special cases in it, 44 Mag cases loaded with 44 Special loads with the bullet seated deep and 44 Russian cases in it.
It does what I want and I occasionally carry it. I carried it to Church Sunday.
But that FT is a fine firearm. Notice I didn't say weapon, a term I despise.

Martin Luber
04-12-2021, 12:34 PM
I have one of the newer ones, say one year old pre pandemic. Love the trigger and mechanicals but the gripsvwere loose. The Ruger replacements in rosewood were no better. I had to add a 1/16 wide strip to the forward vertical frame junctions. I wish I could leave the gate open while working the hammer

Lefty Red
04-12-2021, 01:04 PM
Absolutely worth the wait and the search. Imho best guns Ruger has made in decades.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/59d44e4828553b892b85a1a6478e983d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/daa0003b04aceb17ee4e8aeba48ee128.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210412/df14b25cd1efdf09fd91ac425e6fd762.jpg

And a Bisley to boot! Makes my heart ache looking at it! Going to have to sell the 5.5”!
Lefty

ddixie884
04-12-2021, 01:42 PM
I have 2 4.6" stainless, a 5.5"blue . 2blue bisleys 5.5", a flat top .45conv, and a mid frame stainless vaquero 3.75", In my opinion they are all that and a bag of chips. I really like the mid frame and have 2 old model .357s modified to .41spl, and a Colt New Frontier in .41spl by Alan Harton. I own some large frame Rugers but really like the feel and balance of the mid frame.
The mid frame .357s are also a winner IMHO.
You should not chase or over pay for one, just sit on your money or buy a good handgun worth the money and use it til you find what you are looking for at a decent price. Then if you find you have made a wrong decision you may sell or trade it without loosing money on the deal...........
All JMHO-YMMV take care be well.

DHDeal
04-12-2021, 01:51 PM
The gun is in your head so stay with what you want. I would stick to your budget and configuration though (unless you want 2 that is).

I've got a SS 4 5/8" Bisley version and my shooting partner has an early blued 5.5" version. Having a lot of RBH's/Single Six's, I don't find any particular magic in the 44 Special's but do find they are as accurate as any others and in a nice sized package. Maybe I'm lucky because not one of the many calibers in my Ruger's is a dog. I just had to have one of the Flattop's and waited until I found the configuration I wanted and jumped on it.

I know many mention the supplied grips don't fit well. I agree but don't get rid of a gun I buy and always plan to get fitted grips usually before I even shoot them. The one complaint I don't see much is incorrectly sized throats. Mine was close enough to .431" on all chambers and a .4305" sized bullet fits and shoots as good as I could hope for.

No, they aren't magic but they are worthy of a purchase.

firebyprolong
04-13-2021, 10:30 AM
It’s definitely stuck with me, i really like the looks of those flat tops. I bought one of the new model 44 special vaqueros on that that midsize frame and that’s what got me looking. I own several 44 mags and mostly shoot 44 special loads in 44 magnum cases. I’ve got a 4 inch 629 that I would be buried with if it wasn’t such a waste of a good handgun. I shoot enough to know the 44 special isn’t exactly magic, but it sure can feel like it in the right handgun. The Lyman 429241 or 429244 hp at around 900fps can solve most problems I encounter on the Great Plains and is fun to shoot.
Thank you all for the advice and encouragement.
I’m afraid my choice between a bisley and standard grip frame is going to come down to what I can find first. But just out of curiosity what are the bisley advantages? I’ve never owned one nor shot that style frame enough to have an informed idea about it.

Only other question is if Ruger is still producing these flat tops? Before the start of the panic last year both the bisley and the standard flat top where both in stock several places. Then nothing, I can’t even find the model listed on Rugers website anymore.

JoeJames
04-13-2021, 11:34 AM
I've had a Lipsey Ruger New Model Blackhawk 4 1/4" in 44 Special for 6 or 7 years. Bar none it is my favorite. Got me seriously back into reloading; since back then 44 Special ammo was about a $ a caliber - $44 a box. Also got me thick into casting - Lee .430" 240 grain SWC's.

Thumbcocker
04-13-2021, 01:37 PM
No real advantage to Bisley frame. It is totally a "feel" thing. Not much middle ground you love em or hate em. I am solidly in the love em camp.

ABJ
04-13-2021, 02:48 PM
I too had the 44 spl flattop bug and a couple of years ago lucked into one. It is everything that I thought it would be and then some. I have a buddy that stands 6.6 with big hands and he says a little small for him, he prefers the SBH. The flattop fits my hands exactly. As far as the cartridge goes, it is not a 44 mag and I don't need it to be. I keep it around 850 and is about the same as a warm 38 special/lite 357. It is now my go-to sidearm for woods roaming, bushhogging etc... I don't believe it is any more or less accurate the any other single action caliber but it is economical to load for comparing it to 45 colt or 44 mag. Yes I know you can download those two but I find the spl case easier to get along with. If (heaven forbid) I had to sell my single actions the flattop would be last to go.
Tony

JoeJames
04-13-2021, 03:54 PM
I too had the 44 spl flattop bug and a couple of years ago lucked into one. It is everything that I thought it would be and then some. I have a buddy that stands 6.6 with big hands and he says a little small for him, he prefers the SBH. The flattop fits my hands exactly. As far as the cartridge goes, it is not a 44 mag and I don't need it to be. I keep it around 850 and is about the same as a warm 38 special/lite 357. It is now my go-to sidearm for woods roaming, bushhogging etc... I don't believe it is any more or less accurate the any other single action caliber but it is economical to load for comparing it to 45 colt or 44 mag. Yes I know you can download those two but I find the spl case easier to get along with. If (heaven forbid) I had to sell my single actions the flattop would be last to go.
TonyAgree. Mine would be the last to go on my list too! For some unknown reason if I load hard cast .430" 240 grain with 6.5 grains of Unique, or soft cast (non water quenched) .430 240 grain with 6.8 grains of Unique, both end up running at about 894 fps per my chronograph.

376Steyr
04-14-2021, 10:53 AM
I've got mine, and no, it's not for sale. There's a nice example sitting on Gunbroker right now, so they are still out there. The hunt is half the fun; plus, remember the Happy Times, when the lean and hungry gunstore clerks would pounce on you and beg to know what you are looking for? If they ever come back again, having "Got any Ruger .44 Special Flattops?" on the tip of your tongue will keep them at bay.

flint45
04-14-2021, 12:35 PM
I have one and it is one of my favorite revolvers it is a 5.5 inch which is my favorite length for a single action I know that I’m in the minority there but I just like it so well and it shoots wonderfully.I have a mold made by RCBS that somebody milled off the gas check it was the 220 grain semi-wadcutter and that little revolver loves that bullet.

Butzbach
04-14-2021, 05:56 PM
There is allot of mythology floating around about the 44 Special round, due to the hype of some gunwriters. I have owned at least a half dozen or more 44 Specials over the years and have not found them to be anything special. The accuracy potential of any handgun is based on the revolver mechanics and not the caliber. For life in Texas, I favor the 357 Magnum, as my all around do all handgun caliber. If nostalgia is on tap, I will go with a 45 Colt revolver.

Au contraire mon ami. I am 100% .357 these days. But back in the day I loaded my 4” Model 29 Smith to .44 Special specs (240 gr Keith SWC with gas check over 8 grs of Unique if memory serves) and they were very accurate. I’d go to check my off hand 100 yd target and have the guys with their mini 14s cursing �� me.

Thumbcocker
04-14-2021, 09:14 PM
I have had much better luck getting .44s, magnum and special, to shoot well than other cartridges. The .45 Colt hates me.

The .38 special and .32 long have also been well mannered cartridges for me.

DougGuy
04-14-2021, 10:21 PM
I have had much better luck getting .44s, magnum and special, to shoot well than other cartridges. The .45 Colt hates me.

The .38 special and .32 long have also been well mannered cartridges for me.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how those 50yd groups would respond to the throats honed. I bet they would shrink enough to raise an eyebrow or two... JS...

BBMF1
04-15-2021, 04:16 AM
G'day from Downunder [smilie=s:

G'day All , I have a Lipseys stainless Ruger 45 colt / 45 acp Flat top Blackhawk with a 4 & 5/8" barrel , it has had a trigger job and wears Sambar stag grips and it gets regular use for western action matches .

Regards Paul :smile:

riddleofsteel
04-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Here is a 45 Colt Redhawk that Doug setup for me. 20 yards off hand group.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210415/989eeb1d23b78c36eefa991898042c10.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

44MAG#1
04-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Here is a 45 Colt Redhawk that Doug setup for me. 20 yards off hand group.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210415/989eeb1d23b78c36eefa991898042c10.jpg

Is this target how well you shoot very consistently or is it a rare occurrence?
That does make a difference. If you can shoot like that nearly all the time you are one absolutely great handgun shooter.

Thumbcocker
04-15-2021, 09:55 AM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how those 50yd groups would respond to the throats honed. I bet they would shrink enough to raise an eyebrow or two... JS...

I shoot a LOT of targets that I don't take pictures of. If these targets were normal I would not need to take bragging pics of them ; ).

There are two different 4 5/8 Bisleys in the pics. One was factory and the 2 tone was "Bisleyfied by me. Once I decided they were keepers I took them to Bill Oglesby for trigger work and a going over. He set both to minimal cylinder gap, checked cylinder throats, and set trigger pull to 3 pounds. I was having a VERY good day with the 50 yard target, hence the pic. If I could shoot good every day I would have sponsors and free ammo by the pallet.

With all that said those 2 flattops are in the never gonna be sold pile.

Mr. Oglesby also did a Bisley hunter model .44 magnum for me that has filled the freezer several times.

Hope this clarifies things.

44MAG#1
04-15-2021, 09:58 AM
Reality is a terrible thing at times.

riddleofsteel
04-15-2021, 10:19 AM
I am a pretty good shot with a handgun. Most groups are not that good. I had just gotten the pistol worked over and was taking my time to see what it was capible of. Also a perfect storm of great pefectly sized bullets and great powder.

DougGuy
04-15-2021, 10:24 AM
I shoot a LOT of targets that I don't take pictures of. If these targets were normal I would not need to take bragging pics of them ; ).

Hope this clarifies things.

Yes and with all respect to Mr. Oglesby, point I was making was that I bet there is room for improvement there that you didn't know was there...

Rodfac
04-15-2021, 08:16 PM
To answer the OP's question: those of us who grew into our teens in the mid-60's inhereted some of the old scribes love for the .44 Special..guys like Keith, Skelton, Jordan and a half dozen others. And yep...the cartridge is that good...hell, it's fantastic.

In my case, I couldn't afford to have my .357 M28 Smith re-barreled and bored out for the .44 rounds so, I got by, over the years by fantasizing about Ruger running a batch through the factory. That dream came true 40+ years later and was all that I'd hoped for. Truly elegant revolvers...powerful, SA's that can be mastered by the average Joe, given time and the inclination.

I have three of the Rugers now, as well as Colt SAA, and Smith M24 and all are accurate beyond my capabilities. Easy to load for...in fact I can't remember any load with Lyman's 429421, 429215gc, or 429244gc that wouldn't drop a cylinderful into 2" or less at 25 measured yards. It's just that kind of a cartridge. Velocities up to 1200 fps are easy and more than enough for any deer in the lower 48. And that smaller case when compared to the Magnum, doesn't leave you with niggling concerns about the powder charge getting lost and mis-igniting.

So here's one of my Ruger Flat Top Specials with a 4-5/8" bbl., new, back in '07. The load that day was one of Skelton's favorites: (7.5 gr of Unique with Lyman's 429421). Shot from 25 yds using Keith's old 'Long Range' position, (knees raised with the gun between them, extended with a solid back rest)...this was back when I'd reached the ripe old age of '60. Tough to see the stocks in the pic, but I'd made up a pair of rosewood replacing the Ruger Cheese Graters. Best Regards, Rod

https://i.postimg.cc/ry1jJz5D/Dave_44_Tgt_Pic.jpg (https://postimg.cc/235njkcY)

Dale53
04-16-2021, 10:01 AM
Rodfac;
It is good to "see" you. again! I have to smile when your post above shows how much we still are on the same page! MY Flattop .44 Special in 5 1/2" blue and 4 5/8" SS are both TREASURED performers. I only had a trigger job done on both of mine, otherwise, no other changes mechanically needed to be done. They both meet my personal standards of under an inch at 25 yards off a rest. Plus, the .44 Special performs well in the field up to and including large whitetail deer. They are just flat practical in the field AND on the range.

The people that scoff at the .44 Special being "Special" just don't understand the historical reasons for that opinion. Back in Keith's day, and many years thereafter, the .45 Colt revolvers were the problem, not the caliber. Bad barrel and cylinder dimensions from manufacturer's, plus in the handguns of the day, the .44's had a useful amount of extra strength in the revolvers. Heavy handloads at decent levels had a much larger margin of safety due to cylinder dimensions, etc. So, as the limits were explored (and sometimes exceeded) what Keith and others were able to show us with the .44 Special was a REALLY useful amount of power that could be safely used with ACCURACY (due to much better dimensions in the revolvers of the times). When better revolvers became available and allowed other calibers, such as the .45 Colt to perform well, that did NOT obsolete the .44 Special (as so many claim) but merely added another cartridge with great possibilities. I have explored the limits with a couple of Ruger .45 Colts and Convertibles, but, still, everyone of them required reaming the cylinder throats as well as a trigger job. After that, they DO become very useful and can NOW challenge the .44 Special but that does NOT negate the .44 Special and the fellows like Keith and Skeeter that helped educate us in the early days! So THERE!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/jj80/Dale53/(edited)_Texas_Ranger_and_Ruger_Flattop_Selects-5_1600x1067.jpg?width=960&height=720&fit=bounds (https://app.photobucket.com/u/Dale53/p/efeaad01-340e-48b1-945e-4ee1929ed16c)

FWIW
Dale53

waco
04-16-2021, 11:59 PM
Not a 44 but a 45 convertible. Lipsey’s 3 3/4”
Super fun and accurate gun.

Thumbcocker
04-17-2021, 07:17 AM
Rodfac;
It is good to "see" you. again! I have to smile when your post above shows how much we still are on the same page! MY Flattop .44 Special in 5 1/2" blue and 4 5/8" SS are both TREASURED performers. I only had a trigger job done on both of mine, otherwise, no other changes mechanically needed to be done. They both meet my personal standards of under an inch at 25 yards off a rest. Plus, the .44 Special performs well in the field up to and including large whitetail deer. They are just flat practical in the field AND on the range.

The people that scoff at the .44 Special being "Special" just don't understand the historical reasons for that opinion. Back in Keith's day, and many years thereafter, the .45 Colt revolvers were the problem, not the caliber. Bad barrel and cylinder dimensions from manufacturer's, plus in the handguns of the day, the .44's had a useful amount of extra strength in the revolvers. Heavy handloads at decent levels had a much larger margin of safety due to cylinder dimensions, etc. So, as the limits were explored (and sometimes exceeded) what Keith and others were able to show us with the .44 Special was a REALLY useful amount of power that could be safely used with ACCURACY (due to much better dimensions in the revolvers of the times). When better revolvers became available and allowed other calibers, such as the .45 Colt to perform well, that did NOT obsolete the .44 Special (as so many claim) but merely added another cartridge with great possibilities. I have explored the limits with a couple of Ruger .45 Colts and Convertibles, but, still, everyone of them required reaming the cylinder throats as well as a trigger job. After that, they DO become very useful and can NOW challenge the .44 Special but that does NOT negate the .44 Special and the fellows like Keith and Skeeter that helped educate us in the early days! So THERE!

FWIW
Dale53

Amen

JoeJames
04-17-2021, 09:51 AM
Put me in the Amen corner also. I did not discover the 44 Special unti 7 or 8 years ago when I read an article by Frank James (no relation) about the Lipsey Ruger BH’s in 44 Special. His shooting results quite turned my head. I ordered one through my local gun shop. Already had the dies, the owner threw in a box of .429” 240 grain swc’s, traded some 44 Mag brass for 44 Special, and I had some loaded before I got the Lipsey in. Been passionate about it ever since. With my tailored loads it is very accurate and very pleasant to shoot .

It is my favorite revolver; matter of fact I sold my 6” S&W Model 629 shortly afterwards. No bears or Mastadons here in the Arkansas; so why keep it?

Rodfac
04-17-2021, 08:38 PM
Dale, good to hear from you old friend...and add me to the "amen" list regarding your concise explanation for the .44 Special's popularity.

Keith made the old round famous, and for many of us, established the effectiveness of a 240 gr LSWC @ 1200 fps as good enough for most of what we hunt or defend against, down here in the lower 48 (and does it superbly, without heroic levels of increased recoil). The add'l steel in those .44 cylinders lead him away from the .45 Colt giving all of us the margin of safety demanded for superior performance. Best regards, Dale...good to hear from you again. Rod

Dale53
04-17-2021, 11:31 PM
Rodfac;
Thank you for the kind words, my friend! After this pandemic cools down, perhaps we can break bread together again!

All the best to you and yours,
Dale53

firebyprolong
04-28-2021, 04:56 PM
So I sent Ruger an email this week and found out that the standard grip 44 special flat tops have been discontinued but the bisley is still in production a lipseys dealer exclusive.
And I quote Ruger,
“ The model 5232 has been discontinued although model 5236 is a Lipsey Distributor Exclusive model. and is in current production.”

So looks like I’m buying a bisley when the dust settles this summer.

bigboredad
04-30-2021, 10:13 PM
I had a FT Blackhawk 44 Special. I liked it but like the Smith M69 more. I frequently shoot 44 Special cases in it, 44 Mag cases loaded with 44 Special loads with the bullet seated deep and 44 Russian cases in it.
It does what I want and I occasionally carry it. I carried it to Church Sunday.
But that FT is a fine firearm. Notice I didn't say weapon, a term I despise.I too despise that term. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.
For those that don't know what a chalkboard is ask your parents

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Ed K
05-01-2021, 10:01 AM
For what it's worth the 45 Colt flat-tops are just as good. What the 44 special FT reveals in being a great example of a somewhat rare chambering executed in a well-made revolver, the 45 Colt FT demonstrates in a slightly different way: while not an uncommon round, you will not find as well-executed in any other Ruger specimen. History has provided first oversized throats and then undersized throats. Almost all have oversized chambers while the FT 45 chambers are near SAAMI minimum. Add to that tight cylinder gaps and generally excellent overall build quality and you likely have in your hand the best 45 Colt Ruger has ever produced.

I believe a good part of the 44 special mystique comes from being fired from a properly dimensioned revolver. Up until the FT that could not be easily found in a Ruger in 45 Colt.

Mavrick
05-02-2021, 11:12 PM
I have several Blackhawks, and prefer the 4 5/8" version. I have a .41 Mag, a .30 Carbine, and now a Lipsey Flattop .44 Spl. Too bad, but the .44 is a 5 1/2", all I could get at the time. I wish I could have, but I am not sorry I got it. The balance is better on the shorter barrel, in my opinion. My .44 is the easiest-to-hit-with revolver I own. It's worth the wait...especially if you really want one. the smaller frame is a dream-come-true. To make up for not finding a 4 5/8' .45 Colt, I bought an Italian Colt-clone with a 3" barrel. A smaller-frame big-bore... Have fun, Gene

white eagle
05-03-2021, 10:09 AM
the search will be worth it for sure.I had one a while back and ran into needing money so I sold it,BIG MISTAKE.
I never missed a gun so much before,so I started the search for another.Like you had one heck of a time locating one and after many days of looking I found one and now have another fine shootin bisley again.Mine like most of these is highly accurate out of the box no mods needed.Its a pleasure to shoot and carry so if you haven't found one already keep up the search it will be worth it

firebyprolong
05-04-2021, 01:20 PM
Two friends of mine have the mid sized FT in 45acp/45colt, that’s in fact one of the things pushed my towards the midsized frame FT. If one comes along in 45 colt it might just get pressed into service. Still, I’ve got a serious love for the 44 and if I’m going to plunk my money down for a brand new one it’s going to be a 44 special. We’ll see how this situation shakes out this summer and hopefully see a few manufacturers catch up on supply. I’m doing nothing more than passively watching GB as prices skyrocket up past sanity. Did almost buy one on GB last week from a guy claiming to be in Idaho. it became pretty obvious scam really quick when I figured out he had pulled pictures from one I bid on two weeks previously and only conversed in poorly worded broken English. “Verified seller” was a scammer plain and simple. I’m done looking till thing settle down.

DougGuy
05-04-2021, 01:35 PM
What I read was Ruger has discontinued the FT with the plowshare grip frame, they are only producing the Bisley FT now. If you think prices for the non-Bisley FT are st00pid now, heh just wait!

firebyprolong
05-04-2021, 03:15 PM
I’m going for the bisley, Ruger discontinuing the regular grip frame decided it for me.

iron brigade
05-05-2021, 08:22 AM
Here's a pic of my lipsey's 44 special flat top. Love it