PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else remember these?

Idaho45guy
04-12-2021, 04:30 AM
Worked in my dad's gun store as a kid and had to use this thing all the time. I remember giving the yellow slip to the customer and the rest went into a box to be counted at the end of the day.

I can still remember the sound they make...

Stephen Cohen
04-12-2021, 04:39 AM
Yes we even had them this side of the pond. Regards Stephen

Plate plinker
04-12-2021, 05:27 AM
Yep I too can here that sound in my head. A thing of the past.

StuBach
04-12-2021, 05:59 AM
Still had those in store until about 2013 when we finally pulled them out. *Kerchunk*

elginrunner
04-12-2021, 06:02 AM
I used those when I worked in a gunshop back in the 90's.....

NyFirefighter357
04-12-2021, 06:20 AM
The supply house I use for work still uses them for house charges. I don't think they have new plates made up but if they have one on file the use it. We've been a customer for 60yrs so they use ours almost daily.

richhodg66
04-12-2021, 06:23 AM
I haven't seen one of those for a while, but not long ago, probably within the last year, had to get a money order from the little town post office and he broke out one of the old style ones with carbon paper copies and machine like that to run it through. I think they still had some and were using them up, even they had the new style for quite some time.

William Yanda
04-12-2021, 06:25 AM
When my Dad operated a service station it sat right next to the cash register. Set the amount of the sale, imprint, then get the customer's signature.

Idaho45guy
04-12-2021, 06:26 AM
I haven't seen one of those for a while, but not long ago, probably within the last year, had to get a money order from the little town post office and he broke out one of the old style ones with carbon paper copies and machine like that to run it through. I think they still had some and were using them up, even they had the new style for quite some time.

The fact that our government is still using them does not surprise me one bit, unfortunately.

Shawlerbrook
04-12-2021, 06:28 AM
And they always worked .

john.k
04-12-2021, 07:09 AM
Yes,the credit card had embossed letters,and the device printed multiple copies thru 'no carbon required' papers.......the devices probably belonged to credit card companies.

Petrol & Powder
04-12-2021, 07:37 AM
Yep, sure do remember those.

It saved you from having to write that 16 digit card number on the slip. Some of them would also imprint the amount of the change and some you had to write that in yourself.

When I was a kid, my library card had a metal strip with raised numbers. The library had a similar machine to capture the card number.

tinsnips
04-12-2021, 08:09 AM
Used one on my job at the service station in high school.

StuBach
04-12-2021, 08:16 AM
Yes,the credit card had embossed letters,and the device printed multiple copies thru 'no carbon required' papers.......the devices probably belonged to credit card companies.

I know the ones we had in our retail stores were issued to us by the CC organization that is the same one that now requires chip readers. Whenever we closed a store we actually had to pry the plate off the machine and return just the plate. No one cared about the machine itself, just that little embossed plate.

jonp
04-12-2021, 08:30 AM
I used one working at a gas station. Had to call the CC to authorize the charge then swiped it.

One thing you can always tell. A person on a computer that learned to type on one and someone who learned on a manual. How many do you think would know what carbon paper is much less how to change a ribbon?

tai95
04-12-2021, 08:35 AM
I still had one at the last restaurant I ran. It's actually a great backup because when power or internet goes out there is no way to run a card. It seems like 90% of people don't carry cash anymore so having a backup means of payment is needed. I'm actually surprised more small shops don't have them still.

Tripplebeards
04-12-2021, 08:51 AM
I used them at DU and turkey banquets back in the the early 2000’s...I think they still use them.lol

EMC45
04-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Up till 2015 on the base I worked at in GA the P.O. on base had the same kind of M.O. machine. They lady would set the amount using little levers on the front of the machine and she would pull the handle like a slot machine and the M.O. would print out.

Finster101
04-12-2021, 09:20 AM
Yes sir. Used them when I started working at a Standard service station when I was 15. Had to look up card numbers in a book that was updated monthly to make sure the number wasn't listed as a bad card. If you took one you paid for it.

robg
04-12-2021, 09:36 AM
you had to phone supplier if it was more than £100 .klunk

CraigOK
04-12-2021, 09:42 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. The last time I remember having my card run on one was when I bought Braveheart on VHS at a Gibsons. 2 of the 3 are no longer around

Thumbcocker
04-12-2021, 10:05 AM
In the early 2000's the county I lived in had a damaging thunder storm that knocked out power for days. The local Sears store was open operating by lantern and flashlight. They had one of those machines and were checking people out with it and a calculator.

sparky45
04-12-2021, 10:58 AM
You can get your own: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADDRESSOGRAPH-BARTIZAN-Flatbed-Credit-Card-Imprinter/224351481017?hash=item343c63ecb9:g:~kgAAOSwFsxgKHD I

redhawk0
04-12-2021, 11:33 AM
I haven't seen one in about 10 years...but they can't be used on many of the new cards. They don't have raised numbers/letters any longer. The CC # is just printed on the back of many new cards.

redhawk

gwpercle
04-12-2021, 11:52 AM
At my wife's place of business they have one for the days when the power is out or the computer is down.
After the power or computer comes back up they enter the sales manually into the computer with the information on the receipts .
Otherwise they couldn't do any business ...we have a long hurricane season and power can be out for weeks .
Gary

TimD
04-12-2021, 12:41 PM
Mom and Dad had one for the shop. I remember the slips with carbon paper before the new fangled ones came out.

FISH4BUGS
04-12-2021, 03:40 PM
What we called knuckle busters.

Winger Ed.
04-12-2021, 04:17 PM
When I left the paint store in 2004, we still used one for American Express.
Any purchase over $50. we were supposed to call them for authorization.

richhodg66
04-12-2021, 08:19 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. The last time I remember having my card run on one was when I bought Braveheart on VHS at a Gibsons. 2 of the 3 are no longer around

There is still a Gibson's like you remember in Clay Center, Kansas. Not as big as the two in Lawton, Oklahoma I remember so fondly, but pretty close and still keep a little reloading stuff.

M-Tecs
04-12-2021, 08:30 PM
Yes sir. Used them when I started working at a Standard service station when I was 15. Had to look up card numbers in a book that was updated monthly to make sure the number wasn't listed as a bad card. If you took one you paid for it.

Same for me in 1975 - 1978. Started at the Standard station day after my 15th B-day. Purchased myself a car on my 16th B-day with the money I earned. I got my drives license in the morning and went to work that afternoon and evening. On weekends and nights drove the wrecker also. That was in a small town with only one station open in the evenings and weekends. Watched several friends and parents of friends die from car accidents that I responded too. Also shot cattle, horses, deer and antelope that were hit by cars. The wrecker had a 22RF bolt gun and a single shot 12 gauge for that use.

Conditor22
04-12-2021, 08:39 PM
I used one when I pumped gas as a wee lad.

I had a thread going many-many moons ago about remembering old things :)

bedbugbilly
04-12-2021, 09:02 PM
Yep - we had them in our family business as well.

What I remember very well wa before those . . . when I was a kid, every once in a while my mother would take us to the city and buy us clothes for Church - most of our clothes as a kid were denim jeans and all of our ****s, pajamas, etc my mother or my grandmother made for us. It was exciting to go into the city and a clothing store to get a sport jacket and trousers for Church when we outgrew the old ones. I those days, customers with good credit were given "metal charge plates". When the purchase was made, my mother would hand the clerk her metal charge card, he wrote p the order and the order and the metal charge card were put in a carrier and put in the vacuum tube wjocj west i[staors tp the book-keeper. She recorded the sale, put the three piece invoice in a very similar item asw shown only it was more of a press with a handle which would moss the customer information on the three layer invoice which had carbon paper . it was then sent back downstairs to the clerk in the vacuum tue where my mother would sign it and she was given a copy and the remaining copies sent back upstairs in the vacuum tube to the book-keep to post to her ledger.

Times haver sure changed . . . but I still long for those days when things were, or seemed, much better than today.

Dancing Bear
04-12-2021, 09:16 PM
Yup, used them. Worse chore was to check the tiny book for stolen/cancelled cards before running them through the unit.

Tazman1602
04-12-2021, 09:16 PM
That and counting back change is a thing of the past......unfortunately...

Mr_Sheesh
04-12-2021, 09:24 PM
Used them at searches when fueling our aircraft, one of our kids was an idiot and kept changing the numbers randomly, when I caught him at it he opined that they were random numbers anyways... I asked if he thought the FBO (fixed base operator, guys who run the place) would be amused at some idiot randomly changing the date on those receipts, took a while for him to get it. Grumble.

redriverhunter
04-12-2021, 11:12 PM
I saw them in use less than a month ago. I was leaving a restaurant they were telling customers cash only, and trying get money out of those who had no cash. Went down the road to harbor freight and they had three lines going cash only and two credit card lines. I give the manager credit he was running back and forth trying to teach the youth how to use them. Funny the cash only line was next to empty. I still try and run on cash as much as I can. I guess they would have to pen and ink mine in because the number on my c.c. are printed not raised.

kevin c
04-13-2021, 05:07 AM
My podiatrist used one at my last visit a couple years ago. He was a stubborn sort for old technology; still had an XRay machine that used film cassettes.

richhodg66
04-13-2021, 06:43 AM
My podiatrist used one at my last visit a couple years ago. He was a stubborn sort for old technology; still had an XRay machine that used film cassettes.

I would use that doctor's services for that alone. I'm a technology phobe myself to a large degree, still carrying a flip phone which my teenage students find very amusing. When I'm retired for good, I won't even be carrying that.

GregLaROCHE
04-13-2021, 10:37 AM
My first charge card was from Sears. It was smaller than those today. They had the type of machine with a big handle and a roller inside to imprint the name and number. How many remember those?

imashooter2
04-13-2021, 11:28 AM
When my Dad operated a service station it sat right next to the cash register. Set the amount of the sale, imprint, then get the customer's signature.

1970s we had one attached to a pole at each island at the old Exxon. Great memories of that place. I was paid to pump gas, but the boss let me do minor repairs for 50% of the labor charges. I was the only station for many miles that would fix a flat or change a belt after 4 PM. Put a lot of money in both our pockets for just a little bit of hustle.

wch
04-13-2021, 11:33 AM
I was in a store not long ago when there was a power outage and they hauled a couple of these out to process sales.

scattershot
04-13-2021, 11:48 AM
I remember those back in the early 50’s when I was a kid. My mother had a “charge-a-plate” from a department store (metal, not plastic) and they used one of those.

Ed K
04-14-2021, 07:06 AM
Remember one day the device was a little stubborn so with a bunch of extra force I managed to cut the customer's card in half!

shooterg
04-15-2021, 12:36 PM
First used one in 1963 , part time working in a truck stop, last used one 2007 working a Friends of NRA Dinner. Like a couple said, most new CCs do not have raised text - they probably did that on purpose . I doubt any teenager I know would be able to tell what one is !

fiberoptik
04-15-2021, 12:50 PM
That and counting back change is a thing of the past......unfortunately...

Now if you give them change so as to get back silver instead of copper they look totally dumbfounded and have to grab the cell phone or calculator to “figger it out!”
Actually quite fun![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lightman
04-15-2021, 12:52 PM
Used one on my job at the service station in high school.

Yeah, me too! A Gulf station.

Mr_Sheesh
04-18-2021, 06:45 AM
If you really want to mess 'em up, give them change such that you get quarters back, LOL

MT Gianni
04-19-2021, 04:43 PM
I don't remember ever not getting a bill or a messed up charge from the old paper "kachunk" machine. So I was recently hacked, successfully stopped a $1450 "Go fund me Vacation" and average $200 or more a year of charges I bring home a slip for but never make it to my CC bill. I understand the ease of processing, quicker turnaround of money but there have to be some large losses being passed on to consumers with our current system.

Conditor22
04-19-2021, 04:59 PM
Used them at searches when fueling our aircraft, one of our kids was an idiot and kept changing the numbers randomly, when I caught him at it he opined that they were random numbers anyways... I asked if he thought the FBO (fixed base operator, guys who run the place) would be amused at some idiot randomly changing the date on those receipts, took a while for him to get it. Grumble.

Did you also see a boy sitting on a porch playing the banjo? :)

Mr_Sheesh
04-20-2021, 01:42 AM
Conditor, nope, but if we had they would have ended up pretty sorry <evil grin>

trapper9260
04-20-2021, 04:25 AM
It been a long time since I last seen one of them. Also things was simple, also compare for how it is now .

abunaitoo
04-20-2021, 05:16 AM
I remember using it a long time ago.
Do they even make the forms for it anymore????
I'm sure it would still have to be used if the power goes down.

Ickisrulz
04-20-2021, 12:09 PM
I remember using it a long time ago.
Do they even make the forms for it anymore????
I'm sure it would still have to be used if the power goes down.

If the power (or computer system) goes down, no CC sales happen. At least from what I have seen recently.

BigAlofPa.
04-22-2021, 08:44 PM
One time at the store. The electronic card processing was down. I asked if they had a credit card slider as a back up? No and what is that?

Idaho45guy
04-23-2021, 10:36 AM
One time at the store. The electronic card processing was down. I asked if they had a credit card slider as a back up? No and what is that?

My Post Office has a sign saying no debit card or credit card use after 4:15 pm. They are open until 5pm. I've never asked why they, as a government agency, are incapable of processing credit or debit cards past 4:15 PM, when the 90-year old lady who runs the antiques shop across the street processes credit card purchases all the way up to her 5pm close using an Apple Pay app on her phone.

Would probably cause them to have a stroke if they paused to think about just how bad they are.

sharps4590
04-23-2021, 10:48 AM
No one on the register can count change back today. I can figure my change quicker in my head faster than they can get it out of the drawer and say "here" No thank you or how much your change is, just "here". Makes me want to slap 'em silly.

Yes, I knew what the credit card machine was. I first used one in the mid-late 60's when I worked in a D-X station/garage/Dodge dealership.

white eagle
04-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Worked in my dad's gun store as a kid and had to use this thing all the time. I remember giving the yellow slip to the customer and the rest went into a box to be counted at the end of the day.

I can still remember the sound they make...

Absolutely they are illegal immigrant drivers license makers
st8 from china