PDA

View Full Version : Pietta 1873 Trigger Question

moose30273
04-11-2021, 09:20 PM
Howdy!
Today I traded into a Cimmaron (Pietta) 1873 SAA. 7.5" barrel and .45 Colt. I love the thing! it is not a Colt, but it scratched the itch.
The gun was made pre-transfer bar and after they went to a Ruger type hand spring.
I changed the base pin to an actual Colt base pin which took out some slop and did a couple of other simple things to it. Shoots like a laser and mostly smooth as glass.
However, the trigger is sometimes good and sometimes stiff and crunchy. On digging into the gun, I found the hole in the trigger is bigger than it needs to be for a tight fit on the trigger screw. The trigger literally wiggles side to side on it. So I can't begin to really see if I even need to work on the trigger till I get that fixed.
My question is if I order a new trigger from VTI or somewhere, will the hole be undersized and need fitting?
How can I take up the slop otherwise. There is not enough metal there for any sort of bushing. I thought about the old method of using a punch over the hole on each side to displace metal and begin fitting from there. But that is not ideal.
Weld up the hole? That seems a little excessive...
I know we are not talking about a Freedom Arms or custom revolver. But honestly this gun has impressed me.
Suggestions?
I have not tried measuring the triggers from Colt's or Uberti's. Maybe they would fit tighter?
Thanks in advance for the advise.
Moose

cwtebay
04-11-2021, 11:17 PM
I would say either a new trigger or have someone tig weld the hole and drill an approriately sized one (yes, yes welding will take temper from the steel.... it's a trigger for Pete's Sake!)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

onelight
04-12-2021, 08:27 AM
Would shimming the trigger help ?
I have used shims from here on a few guns if they have a size that will fit .
https://www.triggershims.com/