PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vs. Redding dies

richhodg66
04-11-2021, 12:11 AM
I've used every manufacturer's dies at one time or another, but more RCBS than any others. I do have a couple of Reddings and they seem just as good, though I've never done any systematic comparisons. Has anybody here really done a serious comparison? I know both are top quality, but the Reddings cost more.

Reason for the question, I stopped by a little brick and mortar shop I hadn't been in for a while and walked out with two brand new (near as I can tell) Redding sets in two oddball calibers I load for and already have RCBS dies for. The price was just too good to pass on, cheapy Lee ones in common calibers are going for more than these did.

Just wondering if this is an upgrade, or all I did was just gain spares.

cwtebay
04-11-2021, 12:24 AM
I know there is a lot of animosity towards Redding by some, but personally I prefer them. I have Redding for my "serious" cartridges that I reload for (hunting and precision rifles) and even for the plinkers. I would have all Redding if I could ever justify the cost difference. They just feel good and feel like a better quality of workmanship.
Ymmv

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

richhodg66
04-11-2021, 12:40 AM
I've only ever used Redding dies in 6.5 Creedmoore and got a set when I started loading for my .30-06 cast bullet target rifle because the set has a neck sized only die. There's no doubt they are very good dies, but I got both sets used and wasn't particularly brand particular. Niether of the calibers today do I expect real precision out of (.351 WSL and .22 Savage High Power), so may not be able to tell any real difference.

samari46
04-11-2021, 12:42 AM
When I first started reloading many years ago I mostly bought RCBS from a local gun shop. But within the last 5 years or so when new dies sets were needed went with the Redding deluxe die sets which are full length sizer, neck sizer and seater. And when I bought my Swiss K-31 Redding dies were recomended for the K-31. So far have been satisfied with Redding dies. Frank

M-Tecs
04-11-2021, 12:44 AM
I don't have systematic comparisons but when you look at the equipment list for the various precision rifle competitors Redding is by far the preferred die manufacture for factory dies. I use Redding S neck bushing dies for 95% of my competition loading. Same for most of the serious competitors I know.

Winger Ed.
04-11-2021, 02:32 AM
Either one can load ammo that is more accurate that most shooters, including myself.
I've used their .300WshortMag. set and they're great. Most of my others are RCBS or Hornady, and they do a great job too.
I've seen that most serious competitors use the fancy sets of Reddings, probably for good reason.

In high level competition, when the distance between 1st and 2nd place is so small:
Like when 1st & 2nd place at the Indy 500 is 1/2 a car length--- ya need any little extra bit of an edge you can get.

ioon44
04-11-2021, 09:29 AM
I like the Redding S neck bushing dies for rifle loading, also have no problem with RCBS, I have started using Hornady for pistol loading on my Dillon 550 ( I fell out of love with Dillon dies a few years ago), I have some Forster bench rest dies which are good. Lee, Lyman I have some but would never buy again.

lightload
04-11-2021, 11:44 AM
I have used all brands. Redding has an excellent reputation that is deserved.

Nueces
04-11-2021, 12:42 PM
I have several Redding sets, including a form set for 33 Winchester. Excellent quality.

No company makes die sets that are what I want. Example, the 45-70. A Redding or RCBS sizer works, with a Lyman M die neck expander, usually by Buffalo Arms. Then a Hornady sliding sleeve seater. Finally, a Redding profile crimp or Lee rifle type factory crimp die.

It's cumbersome and somewhat costly to assemble sets like this, but they work so well, I've done it for nearly all my calibers. For straight case handgun rounds, I collect carbide sizers, which vary some in diameter. I made a chart of the resulting inside casemouth diameters from each sizer, so I can pick the one that matches bullet diameter. For an old round like the 45 Colt, well fitting bullets can run from 0.451 to 0.456, depending on the application. I like to avoid oversizing cases.

A point I've made before is that the Lee pistol factory crimp die has a place here, in that the bottom sizer ring usually runs larger than many sizer die diameters. So, it can be useful in case sizing for fat slugs.

gifbohane
04-11-2021, 01:38 PM
I have both RCBS and Redding dies. Bought the RCBS first and they work just fine, a few years later I bought the Reddings and they just seem more solidly and finely built. I will never know if the Reddings are worth the extra cash but I bought them and would do it again.

Would buy them first time around.

Mk42gunner
04-11-2021, 06:44 PM
I have a great variety of loading dies ranging in quality from Lee to Redding. Most die sets work fine, but some are better than others. Some have features I like (Lyman's M die for one) some I don't like (Lee's powder through expander).

I tend to go with RCBS for most two die rifle sets, they work for me. Lee RGB two die sets do the same work.

Redding dies seem to be a step up in quality from RCBS, but I can't really prove it. I do like the Redding profile crimp die for .38 Special wadcutters.

What I buy tends to depend on my personal experience and the amount of spare cash I have on hand when I find something.

Robert

oldhenry
04-11-2021, 07:31 PM
I have RCBS & Redding dies along with Lyman & Hornady. Every rifle die set regardless of brand has a Redding neck die inside the box. I used the Redding bushing dies in my tight neck guns & their bushings in my Wilson dies back in my rifle shooting days. They make good stuff: however, I had problems with their 7X57 & 38 spec . set & their CS folks were not very helpful. I think their stuff is so good that they can't believe something if not right with a particular product.

porthos
04-11-2021, 07:52 PM
all Redding equipment is made in USA. not so with rcbs. that alone is why i will never buy rcbs again.

lightman
04-11-2021, 08:00 PM
I have several sets of each and both work well. It seems like it takes less effort to FL size brass with the Redding but I have no way to measure the required force.

Harter66
04-11-2021, 08:28 PM
I have a set of Redding in 45-70 and a near new set of RCBS .
I've sized and seated with both , I didn't get an expander with the pre owned Redding set . I added a Lee through powder expander before I got the RCBS set .

SxS sizing , the brass working is about the same to my chamber . Die/brass contact happens about the same place . The Redding makes a much more decided line on the neck and a slightly longer grip area . The RCBS is a more fluid line and honestly better suited to my personal needs . The Redding is a little smoother maybe .

Seating .......well it's pretty hard to mess this up unless and the depth spuds are identical in form and function . The Redding has 2 to accommodate Marlin and everyone else OAL both RN . I think I could sub in an FP or SWC from one of the Colts in the RCBS . The crimp step is more fluid feeling in the Redding being squeeze to stop vs the bump squeeze in the RCBS .

Neither set has a pointy or FP seating stem readily available pointy isn't a big deal I drive an 1895 but it would be if I drove a 1873 , Sharps , RB , or Falling Block type .

CS .... I FB messenger'd RCBS about the vintage and type of die with a coned collar an slick sided decapping pin . The response was to send me the parts set , rod , bushing expander ball , lock nut , and 5 extra decapping pins to update the die to current production parts .
Redding was sent an Email about the short seating spud with a request to purchase a longer one preferably with a flat point . I received a well written reply that detailed the 2 RN stems and for the price of a mailing address I would receive correct for my needs stem . I did and it was accompanied by a set of instructions but no lock nut .

Final conclusion ?
For a standard set they are nice but I don't think they are 50% more nice .
SxS $5 bucks more than RCBS , let alone at Lee prices , I'd take them in a minute , I don't know that they would be an immediate replacement .

Like others I have and use CH , Forster , Herters , Lee , Lyman , Pacific , and RCBS die set also . I buy Lee if others aren't available and RCBS is usually first in line , I don't have any Hornady anything except an 008 Pacific press in Hornady red the came in a Hornady by Pacific box circa 1972 .

1hole
04-11-2021, 08:57 PM
I've used them all and determined that, from a functional point of view, our dies fall into two classes, first class and second class. Redding and Forster are tied for first place, everything else is tied for second place. And the average "on target" difference between first and second place is usually much less than many seem to presume.

Fact is, accuracy can't be bought in a properly labeled or expensive box; nothing is automatic. The biggest effective difference between mass produced dies is not in the brand but in how well they are used. From what I read on the web it seems few people really understand dies or how to best use them or how to judge which individual dies of any brand are functioning somewhat "better" than others. Or why. All IMHO, of course.

Petrol & Powder
04-11-2021, 10:26 PM
I have used all brands. Redding has an excellent reputation that is deserved.

/\ I'll second this /\

There's no real rocket science involved in reloading dies and I have used just about every brand. I can't say Redding dies produce better ammunition but I can say I've never had a problem with Redding dies. They seem to have excellent manufacturing tolerances and the materials are top notch.
Because I see dies as a "one time, lifetime" purchase, I'm willing to put a little more money out for dies. If I can't get the Redding dies I want or it is for some oddball cartridge I rarely load, RCBS is my next choice.

I use Redding titanium carbide dies on my progressive press when loading pistol ammo and they work flawlessly. Again, can't say they are better but I can say I've never had an issue.

ReloaderFred
04-11-2021, 10:28 PM
all Redding equipment is made in USA. not so with rcbs. that alone is why i will never buy rcbs again.

RCBS tells me that only their electronics are made overseas, simply because they couldn't find domestic suppliers for what they needed. All their steel tools are made in the USA.

Hope this helps.

Fred

MrWolf
04-11-2021, 10:28 PM
My preference is Dillon as I have the 550, then Redding, RCBS, then others.

ReloaderFred
04-11-2021, 10:36 PM
I have dies from every domestic manufacturer, and some who have long since gone out of business. The only carbide sizing rings I've ever had pull out of the die is two Redding dies, one in 10mm and one in .38 Spl./.357 Mag. Redding replaced both dies, but I've never had a carbide sizing ring pull out from any of the others (RCBS, Dillon, Lee or Lyman). I do have a .45 Colt carbide sizing die from Dillon that's over sized, but I use it for other purposes, so I keep it. I also have a Lyman carbide sizing die in .38 Spl./.357 Mag. that has given me good service since I purchased it in 1969. It's probably had close to half a million .38 cases run through it, and it will still be going after I'm long gone.

Redding does a much better exterior finish on their dies, but that's part of what you're paying for when you buy them.

Hope this helps.

Fred

sigep1764
04-11-2021, 11:51 PM
Why is there animosity towards Redding? I have a set in 270 win and love them.

oldhenry
04-12-2021, 06:15 PM
Why is there animosity towards Redding? I have a set in 270 win and love them.
No animosity:just a realization that they're not perfect. A realization their CS people have not arrived at yet. You can see from my prior post (#12) that I have several of their dies. In addition my single stage press is a Redding. My powder measure & beam scale are '60 era Redding (with the brown wrinkle finish paint).

I have their Competition Pro Series .38 spec./.357 die set that has made the trip from Georgia to NY two times to correct (at my expense). That set now utilizes a '60s era Lyman crimp die & I would jump at an opportunity to trade for a Dillon set. I have a 7X57 die set that also required two trips to correct (also at my expense).

As stated: their stuff is good. They just have a difficult time admitting that they goof-up occasionally.

Livin_cincy
04-12-2021, 07:05 PM

M-Tecs
04-12-2021, 07:14 PM

That is the funniest thing I've seen on the web today. Reality is for most application most dies are satisfactory. When you get into the higher precision rifle demands Lee is conspicuously absent for the equipment lists of the winners. I wonder why?????????????

Mk42gunner
04-12-2021, 07:50 PM
I will say that the only mislabeled shell holders I have ever bought were Redding. I can't remember if I wanted one for the 7.62x54R and it ended up being for .45 Colt or if it was the other way around. Bought at a gun show, may have been seconds.

Conversely, the only shell holders I have ever broken were Lee, for the .43 Spanish (two or three of them). Fixed that by finding one from RCBS.

Robert

porthos
04-12-2021, 07:52 PM
a friend looked at a rcbs balance scale; it was made in CHINA

lawdog941
04-12-2021, 08:05 PM
I use both RCBS and Redding. For precision work in my rifles I prefer Redding, but wouldn't hesitate using RCBS. Experience has Redding with the finer finish, but RCBS is a close second.

M-Tecs
04-12-2021, 08:19 PM
For precision ammunition runout and consistency is the only criteria of importance. External finish means zero.

richhodg66
04-12-2021, 08:22 PM
A guy can't go wrong with anything RCBS, and had these dies been RCBS, I'd have bought them just as quick. Any .351 WSL dies you find are gonna be expensive, and .22 High Power isn't real easy to find.

I'll most likely try loading some ammo with both and see which I prefer and sell the other set.

cwtebay
04-12-2021, 09:33 PM
To be completely frank - most wouldn't know precision if it came out and bit them.
My boys all shoot precision rifle and I would bet dollars to doughnuts my 12 year old can outshoot 98% of folks.
(BTW - he shoots a 243 Win - reloaded with Lee dies). I know I'm speaking out of both sides of my mouth, I enjoy Redding, but truly have no problems with any of them!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Iowa Fox
04-12-2021, 10:18 PM
That is the funniest thing I've seen on the web today. Reality is for most application most dies are satisfactory. When you get into the higher precision rifle demands Lee is conspicuously absent for the equipment lists of the winners. I wonder why?????????????

I do know several of the 1000 yard guys using the collet neck sizer along with the Redding body die myself included. Now lee has chosen to shorten the collet which is not conducive to precision loading but most of their users will never even notice the difference. The instructions packaged with the collet die are not correct which makes me wonder if they fully understand the die. I would sure like to see Redding come out with a two die set, a collet neck sizer and body die.

DDriller
04-12-2021, 10:46 PM
I use RCBS for most of my rifle dies. Hornady and RCBS for pistols. Redding neck sizing die and competition seating die for my 6mm BRX. If I need to full length size the BRX I use a RCBS .308 size die. I don't find a lot of difference in any of the dies I have.

Char-Gar
04-13-2021, 11:26 AM
I have used quite a few RCBS and Redding dies. They are both top quality makers. I can't say one is better than the other. That, said I will go with RCBS dies because of their customer service

M-Tecs
04-13-2021, 01:23 PM
I do know several of the 1000 yard guys using the collet neck sizer along with the Redding body die myself included. Now lee has chosen to shorten the collet which is not conducive to precision loading but most of their users will never even notice the difference. The instructions packaged with the collet die are not correct which makes me wonder if they fully understand the die. I would sure like to see Redding come out with a two die set, a collet neck sizer and body die.

The Lee Collet Neck sizers are fairly common with the long Range shooters. So are QC problems and wear issues. Had to send one back when new due to QC issues. After I received a couple of good ones they both started to have issues at around 5,000 or 6,000 round mark. They now live in my ever growing junk pile of stuff that didn't work as hoped. Like most Lee stuff great ideas but short on quality.

In the end the Redding S Neck Bushing dies have given me zero issues. The Lee Collet Neck Dies not so much.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/10/how-to-neck-size-cases-with-lee-collet-die/

http://www.benchrest.com/showthread.php?49899-Lee-Collet-Die-Adjustment

contendernut
04-13-2021, 01:31 PM
Redding standard seater dies are better than rcbs standard seaters to me as I like a drop of high vis fingernail polish to see adjustments. I do prefer rcbs shell holders to all others.

contendernut
04-13-2021, 01:34 PM
Also, RCBS other items are not as well made today as they were in earlier years. I have a hand primer from the 1990 and it is better built than today’s current version, but this seems to be true with everything

Shawlerbrook
04-13-2021, 04:28 PM
Both RCBS and Redding are quality tools but the additional cost of Redding is not warranted for most of my minute of deer reloading.

AZ Pete
04-13-2021, 04:48 PM
rich, you will find out, when you load and test rounds with each brand die, in a side by side comparison. Either company can let a sub par die set get out of the factory. I have returned three sets of dies that were unsatisfactory in the last 60+ years that I have been hand loading. One from Herter's, one from Redding and one from Forster. Redding replaced the set, no questions asked. Forster asked for samples of my sized brass and the die to evaluate. Forster then evaluated the die, agreed with me and sent a new die, with my brass that they had sized with the new die. Herters...didn't want them back or a replacement as they were so crudely made.

Bottom line, use both and compare the resulting dimensions and concentricity to see if you upgraded.

And let us know what you find out, please

GONRA
04-16-2021, 11:08 PM
Most of GONRA's reloading projects involve an eclectic mix of
RCBS, Hornady, CH or CH4D, Lee, Hollywood, Lyman-Ideal, GONRA, etc.

richhodg66
04-17-2021, 08:06 AM
Most of GONRA's reloading projects involve an eclectic mix of
RCBS, Hornady, CH or CH4D, Lee, Hollywood, Lyman-Ideal, GONRA, etc.

This is me as well, but no doubt I have more RCBS than most.