PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating and Ventilation

Capt Keith
04-10-2021, 10:46 PM
I really watch my ventilation (stay outside) for casting, but for powdercoating with the shake-n-bake method do I have to worry about ventilation? I live in high humidity, and would be doing 20 or so at a time, so it would be much easier to do them in my basement workshop. Thanks!

BamaNapper
04-10-2021, 11:13 PM
In sure we'd be safer if we powder coated in a positive pressure hazmat suit. I shake and bake standing in the garage, no fan and no mask. I don't huff the dust or lick the container, and I think I'm doing pretty good. Like so many things, there's a small element of risk. A bigger risk to me would be the wife's retribution if the lid came off and me slinging PC powder all over the place. That could easily be fatal.

TjB101
04-11-2021, 04:41 AM
I cast with a ventilation hood in the garage. Toaster is in same garage with no ventilation. After I start the cooking process I evacuate the area for the 20min that’s needed. Smells like burning plastic in there. I do keep the fan running all day (exterior vent) and that helps dissipate the smell.

G. Freeman
04-11-2021, 05:18 AM
I'm new to all this bullet casting. When I PC, I usually keep my garage door partially or fully open just because I hate to feel confined.

Heck, I couldn't even enjoy a meal in a restaurant with no a/c or air flow.

In the basement it should be okay. But personally it may be helpful to have some sort of DIY ventilation just for health and comfort reasons.

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2021, 07:28 AM
I wasn’t aware of the fumes from baking were harmful. I am always careful not to breathe in the powder.

charlie b
04-11-2021, 07:58 AM
I bake in a closed garage (it does have ceiling vents). I don't usually stay in there the whole time and I only bake one or two batches at a time. I have noticed some outgassing at the beginning of the bake but I don't know what it is. Slight smell like burning plastic.

If in a basement or other such area I would vent it somehow. A fan in the window or something.

BNE
04-11-2021, 08:03 AM
To me and especially for my wife the smell is enough that I don’t bake in the garage. I stick the oven just outside the garage door and bake them outside with the door closed.

I have a vent fan over my casting pot.

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2021, 08:09 AM
Question. Do all powders smell the same during baking?

high standard 40
04-11-2021, 08:42 AM
I am relatively new to powder coating. So far, all of my baking has been done inside an air conditioned 20X20 room. I haven't noticed much odor at all.

WardT
04-11-2021, 08:56 AM
Smokes clear has no smell when baking

high standard 40
04-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Smokes clear has no smell when baking

The powder I'm using is from "Smoke". Dark blue.

cwlongshot
04-11-2021, 10:26 AM
Be sensable with it its a chemical!!

Garage with door open aughta be fine.

DONT BREATHE DUST! Mask recommended as all who have done know... Opening container sends a flume up into your face!!

CW

oley55
04-11-2021, 12:17 PM
aside from initial cooking of silicone baking sheets, I really haven't noticed any strong odors. I cast n PC in my unconditioned garage and do not get overly concerned about all the ventilation concerns. But then I have strong recollections of the pleasant smell of asbestos siding being cut by my dad with a skill saw some 50 or 60 years ago and am patiently waiting for the onset of some incurable illness.

I think as a whole, our society has been bombarded with this and that ridiculous study or the clever manipulations of the litigation types. In reality only those in an occupation which routinely and daily exposed them to this or that have ever developed black lung, asbestosis, and so on and on to adnausium.

If it irritates you, do something different, otherwise life is too short to be afraid of living.

popper
04-11-2021, 02:26 PM
I've read on no Manuf. warnings for cooking but fumes from 'recycling' are NOT good. I turn on the hot plate and usually am someplace else for cooking or the garage door open. If the smell irritates you, use ventilation.
1961 I got trained to put out an oil fire in a closed building with no PG. Coughed up and blew black junk from my nose for a week. Still alive and well.

Conditor22
04-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Be sensable with it its a chemical!!

Garage with door open aughta be fine.

DONT BREATHE DUST! Mask recommended as all who have done know... Opening container sends a flume up into your face!!

CW

this↑↑↑↑↑▲▲

Huskerguy
04-11-2021, 04:19 PM
In my earlier life I refinished cars and taught it at a college. We used all of the PPE available and I still had a reaction, nearly deadly, to a new paint we switched to. Moral of the story is you should take all precautions possible/practical but you can't eliminate all hazards.

As for powder coat, for me the dust from the powder could be a culprit. When you open the container it is in the air and as you shake it off or tap the bullet it goes in the air and ultimately up your nose. I have a portable air filtration unit that I set on my bench and do my work in front of it. The dust is pulled right into it.

I am actually less concerned about when it is baking as I don't think there is a chemical gas off such as occurs with automotive paint.

Walks
04-11-2021, 04:55 PM
I cast and PC on an open patio. When nobody is home but me. Wear an N95 when PC'ing.
Safety glasses for both.

Capt Keith
04-11-2021, 07:47 PM
Great info—thanks! Even though casting is done outside, what type of mask/respirator do you use?

cwlongshot
04-11-2021, 08:51 PM
Your basically looking to keep from inhaling the airborne powders. So any dust style
Mask should work just fine.

CW