PDA

View Full Version : Shooting House/ Masonite siding question!!

Jeffery8mm
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
How well will masonite siding hold up on an elevated [10ft high] shoot house. Since the siding will not be in contact with the ground, will it absorb moisture?? I found a good deal on 4x8 sheets due to some forklift damage. Would a good coat of paint also help in the longevity of it?? Thanks fo all input and info!!!!!
Jeff

Boerrancher
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
If you give it a good coat of paint it should last 20 to 30 years if you paint it regularly as the paint starts to show age.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

DLCTEX
12-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Water is the enemy of masonite siding. Caulk all joints, and as Joe said, keep it painted.

44man
12-30-2008, 11:57 PM
instant destruction if it gets wet.

DLCTEX
12-31-2008, 10:47 AM
A better siding is Hardi Board, a concret/fiber product. More expensive, but practically indestructable and guaranteed for 50 yrs. against damage by hail, etc.

txbirdman
12-31-2008, 12:06 PM
If you cover it with corrugated iron afterwards you'll never have a problem with it.

cajun shooter
12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
My wife and I have a drafting business that is full time into the design of homes. You know that in this current time we need help in carrying all our money to the bank. A little dry humor. The material masonite will fall apart after pronlonged exposure to wet ground contact. The Hardiplank that Dale clawson told you about is a wonderful product. It comes in several colors and does not have to be painted. It is however alot more expensive than the masonite. Not knowing what part of the country you live in limits my suggestions to you. You could use t-111 and paint it for a good outside material. Again it needs to be coated for ground contact . It's made for this type of use though. In Louisiana it's used alot for homes and camps that are on a lower budget.

Freightman
12-31-2008, 02:56 PM
It should hold up there is a garage behind me that the owner built out of the stuff 25 years ago then sold the house before painting it and the nex two owners haven't painted it and it is still sound and ugly. Now as to water we do not get much around here so where you live may be different.