PDA

View Full Version : $180 brick of 22lr

Woodbridge 30-30
04-10-2021, 06:37 PM
Went to an estate auction today that had a number of guns up for sale. Watched a brick of white box Winchester 22lr go for $180! I know prices are up but I about **** my pants! Wished I'd brought a few bricks to sell on consignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

tazman
04-10-2021, 06:53 PM
That is about what I paid for a brick of Eley Tenex match ammo last year.

Cargo
04-10-2021, 06:55 PM
One of the local shops I frequent have been keeping .22lr in stock, $17.95 per 50 and I haven't spotted anyone buying any yet.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-10-2021, 10:50 PM
Wasn't I a "silly billy", buying two cases of 5,000 Federal when the price was $315/5000. If the worst comes I can use some of the 12,000 pellets in storage for my Diana air rifle.

Winger Ed.
04-11-2021, 12:10 AM
I went to a estate sale awhile back and there was some gun stuff.

There was 4-5 plastic 1 pound bottles of powder that I use.
They had in them anywhere from a inch or so to almost half full.
I asked how much?

I was told they were already marked.
They were, with the gun store retail price stickers still on them.

jonp
04-11-2021, 06:58 AM
I just bought an old pound of Hercules 2400 in the square metal can for $35 at a gun show. Can is in excellent condition and full. I wanted the can for my shelf and the powder is a definite bonus. Trying some in min loads over a chronograph shortly to see if it is 2400, if not then I'll just leave it in the can and dump it when showing signs of deterioration.

10-x
04-11-2021, 07:23 AM
Local gun show yesterday had 100 round plastic boxes of CCI for $40.00. Wally world has same every few weeks at $9.80?. Did not see any “ bricks” for sale. What powder there was $50.00 a pound. CF ammo was $50+ and up / 50 rounds.

bangerjim
04-11-2021, 02:25 PM
At those prices, I should sell my 22LR stockpile and buy an new LEXUS.................for cash.

OMG...........people are really going crazy.

Again, I repeat the old adage, "If you got the money, you got the goodies." ("Goodies" can be defined as anything.......!!!!!!! :drinks:)

TNsailorman
04-11-2021, 03:09 PM
As long as people are willing to swallow hard and pay the high prices being asked for shooting components today, the prices are just going to continue to climb. The manufacturers are watching and they too will start raising their prices. It happened the last time and it will happen again. So buying at the panic prices will only serve to guarantee that the future prices will go up. Manufacturers generally figure the production cost + 15 to 20% for profit and that is their bottom wholesale price to distributors. The sales department for these manufacturers pay close attention to the market around their products. And if they see a trend like the rising prices for components today, they will be quick to raise their price to take advantage of the market. I know as I have been there and done that with a very large and successful company. The market drives prices and once the price goes up, it rarely comes down again. james

Duckdog
04-11-2021, 04:38 PM
I'm glad I bought a bunch. I'm also glad I can reload them if I want. Not too hard... especially at those prices!

sparkyv
04-11-2021, 08:02 PM
That's absolute NUTS, and for some of the crappiest ammo on the planet, no less.
Went to an estate auction today that had a number of guns up for sale. Watched a brick of white box Winchester 22lr go for $180! I know prices are up but I about **** my pants!

Yup, that's the way it works. The Overton Window in play, yet again.
As long as people are willing to swallow hard and pay the high prices being asked for shooting components today, the prices are just going to continue to climb. The manufacturers are watching and they too will start raising their prices. It happened the last time and it will happen again. So buying at the panic prices will only serve to guarantee that the future prices will go up. Manufacturers generally figure the production cost + 15 to 20% for profit and that is their bottom wholesale price to distributors. The sales department for these manufacturers pay close attention to the market around their products. And if they see a trend like the rising prices for components today, they will be quick to raise their price to take advantage of the market. I know as I have been there and done that with a very large and successful company. The market drives prices and once the price goes up, it rarely comes down again. james

perotter
04-11-2021, 09:19 PM
Hard to hang on to all I have at that kind of price.

John Boy
04-11-2021, 09:22 PM
Price of poker just went up ... if a common brick of 22’s can go for $180 ... I have a brick of Lapua Match Target rounds with the rest of my collectibles

Shawlerbrook
04-12-2021, 06:30 AM
In the words of Patsy Cline .....CRAZY !

tbx-4
04-12-2021, 07:53 PM
Our local BiMart chain has kept prices down but limited quantity during all the former ammo scares but not any more. I went there last week 300 round brick of Fed blue box .22 $25.
Not too bad considering but then they had 50 rnd boxes of Blazer .45ACP for $25. That's 50c a round!
A week before they had 150 rnd boxes of 223 for $90. That's 60c an round!

And it sells out in a day or day and a half.

Char-Gar
04-13-2021, 04:00 PM
When the last 22 LR drought passed, I bought four cases of Federal ammo. I can learn from the past. Unless you just started shooting and reloading in the past 5 or 6 years, you should have been ready for this.

uscra112
04-13-2021, 09:42 PM
Bidders' frenzy. Saw it often at estate sales I used to attend. Two or three bidders get mentally locked into the idea that each just HAS to defeat the other guy(s) at all costs.

Skilled auctioneers play to it and get some really ridiculous prices. Like P.T.Barnum said - there's a sucker born every minute.

I'm remembering one where a clapped-out old Stevens Favorite that I wouldn't have given $50 for went for over $500. Probably for a decoration in some upscale eatery.

gbrown
04-17-2021, 02:01 AM
Yeah, I got an email from Gunbroker the other day, a page that said We have ammo. Looked at it and it had any ammo you wanted, but they were all auctions, with unbelievable prices. However, it seemed that there were plenty of people bidding on them. Guess some are still in panic mode, or groups that need them and have plenty of cash, due to their economic activities

Kyle M.
04-17-2021, 02:16 AM

Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, or one of the similar outdoor magazines recently interviewed both Hornady and Black Hills and both said they have no intention of raising prices, nor do other ammo manufacturers. They said the ammo industry is a much smaller industry than most people believe and once you start price gouging and screwing folks they find out very quickly and your reputation is ruined in a hurry. I know dealers say manufacturers are raising prices but in reality it's the distributors and dealers doing it and lying to cover their butts. Most shops around here are gouging people something terrible but I have one local shop that still has $550 AR's, $50 lowers, and if you get there on the day the shipments come in you can get primers for $28-$30/1000 and powder for $25/lb. It's first come first serve and even though he gets his deliveries on Thursdays powder and primers don't show up every Thursday. Luckily he's been in business for 40 years and the previous owners were there since the 30's, according to him he has highest seniority with distributors in the state and some out of state as well as with certain manufacturers. My favorite part is that Ruger firearms are always 25% off retail as he buys at 35% off.

The last .22 L.R. ammo I bought was a box of the Remington 525 golden bullets. I bought them in early 2020 for somewhere between $15-$20 from a different local shop, stuff didn't start getting difficult to find around here until late October of last year. I've seen a few people on various other forums say that in certain parts of the country primer and powder stocks are back to normal, so hopefully this is about over.

monkey wrangler
04-17-2021, 06:58 AM
I looked at Gunbroker the other day at ammo, powder and primers. I think the stuff in my reloading room might be worth more than the whole house.

Wonder how much longer before the smugglers start to bring ammo instead of drugs.

shooterg
04-18-2021, 09:32 PM
By the time Biden is through with dollar values , that price may look good !

Shanghai Jack
04-18-2021, 10:16 PM
Buy it low and stack it high my friends.

Take the advice of Rabbi Meir "Never Again" Kahane and Winston “Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it” Churchill.

Rich/WIS
04-19-2021, 10:02 AM
The Ammoseek site shows lowest prices on 22LR at 18 cents each. Just got some on another forum for 12.5 cents delivered, more than I am used to but don't expect prices to drop anytime soon.

downzero
04-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, or one of the similar outdoor magazines recently interviewed both Hornady and Black Hills and both said they have no intention of raising prices, nor do other ammo manufacturers. They said the ammo industry is a much smaller industry than most people believe and once you start price gouging and screwing folks they find out very quickly and your reputation is ruined in a hurry. I know dealers say manufacturers are raising prices but in reality it's the distributors and dealers doing it and lying to cover their butts. Most shops around here are gouging people something terrible but I have one local shop that still has $550 AR's, $50 lowers, and if you get there on the day the shipments come in you can get primers for $28-$30/1000 and powder for $25/lb. It's first come first serve and even though he gets his deliveries on Thursdays powder and primers don't show up every Thursday. Luckily he's been in business for 40 years and the previous owners were there since the 30's, according to him he has highest seniority with distributors in the state and some out of state as well as with certain manufacturers. My favorite part is that Ruger firearms are always 25% off retail as he buys at 35% off.

The last .22 L.R. ammo I bought was a box of the Remington 525 golden bullets. I bought them in early 2020 for somewhere between $15-$20 from a different local shop, stuff didn't start getting difficult to find around here until late October of last year. I've seen a few people on various other forums say that in certain parts of the country primer and powder stocks are back to normal, so hopefully this is about over.

If they choose to sell it below market value, someone else will just buy it and sell it for the market price. It's no different than if you sold me GE stock for 5 dollars a share and I sold it for the $13.32 it is selling on the market as of this writing. The market value of a commodity does not change just because the sellers of the product aren't willing to sell it for the market value. That is why the shelves are bare. That said, if you have GE stock and you want to sell it to me for $5 a share, you're absolutely welcome to do so and I will buy every share you can produce for that $5.

marlin39a
04-25-2021, 07:04 AM
Got an email from Wideners last week. Winchester 525 packs of 22LR for $154.00 each.

OS OK
04-25-2021, 11:08 AM
The last shortage taught me a lesson...& this shortage still got me again...

No problem with center-fire components, that's where I learned a lesson. But...then I wasn't shooting a precision .22lr Benchrest rifle . . . I had 9 bricks of various .22lr put away but it was all the 'on sale' bricks of lesser quality, sorta like ole'Lesters ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/DVLXO93.jpg LOVE this sign ... :bigsmyl2: ... it now has a new meaning to me!

What are we to do if we want to enjoy the BR community? You sure can't feed a precision rifle with Lesters stuff!
Look at the prices quality ammo is going for..."when it 'is' in stock & you had better be quick about it too or it's gone in a flash!"

https://i.imgur.com/fiWnQtN.jpg

I had to choose between putting the rifle back into the safe...or...enjoying it, also having that peace of mind shooting & the relaxation that shooting brings us.
I try to shoot everyday, it is relaxing, rewarding and shooting allows me to escape this 'Mad World' we are all caught up in for a couple hours a day.

I guess I justified 3 bricks of the Match for those reasons. One thing sure about the cost now...it'll make you 'make every shot count!'

Bmi48219
04-25-2021, 12:33 PM
Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, or one of the similar outdoor magazines recently interviewed both Hornady and Black Hills and both said they have no intention of raising prices, nor do other ammo manufacturers.

??? Hope so but not what I’ve read. Winchester announced two weeks ago they were raising ammo prices 8-10% along with components, except primers that were going up 25%. If the increase is driven by higher material costs, other manufacturers will also get hit and raise prices. If Winchester is just taking advantage of the panic other manufacturers will follow suit. If & when production finally surpasses demand primers will available but at $50/1K or more.
Bear in mind that before the panic standard primers were $33/1K, Midway’s posted (still out of stock) price is $75/1K. Increased material costs can’t justify the 125% increase. We are lucky we reload. Retail range ammo is showing up now and prices are up 300 to 400%.
In the early 70’s gas prices went from .33 to .70 a gallon overnight. After the ‘shortage’ the price stayed at .70, until the next shortage.

uscra112
04-26-2021, 10:41 AM
When (IF) prices fall out of the stratosphere, they ain't going back to how it usta was. Copper just passed $9500/ton, on it's way to ????. Electric cars use 200 pounds of copper, vs. ~ 40 pounds for gasoline burners. That's gonna make it worse than ever. Add to that the copper needed to provide charging stations for them.

Save ALL your .22 hulls and recycle. There is now a kit you can buy to reprime used hulls, and it might be worth investing in one as a hedge.

Bmi48219
04-28-2021, 01:09 AM
Save ALL your .22 hulls and recycle. There is now a kit you can buy to reprime used hulls, and it might be worth investing in one as a hedge.

I enjoy reloading but hope I never have to reload .22 or primers. Between my failing eyesight and ten thumbs loading .380 is challenging enough.

Life Member
04-28-2021, 10:02 AM
Lucked out at a gun show last weekend and got 2 federal 550 packs for &120

John Boy
04-28-2021, 11:01 AM
If for some reason all my store bought 22’s were to be exhausted... have three 22 rf molds and a tad over 8000 primed empty cases :bigsmyl2:

Earlwb
05-15-2021, 09:17 AM
One of the indoor gun ranges near me wants $19.99 per box of 50 .22LR rounds. With sales tax that is more than 40 cents each. That would be $200 plus for a a brick of 500. $39.99 for a box of 20 .22 magnums too. Other stuff is priced way up there too.

Cargo
05-15-2021, 10:08 AM
We've been paying .048-.095 cents per rd for Federal, Win, Rem and CCI over the last few weeks. Picked the kids up close to 4k rds.

762 shooter
05-15-2021, 02:50 PM
I bought a brick of Tenex off Gunbroker at a friend's request 3 weeks ago for $360. He was happy to get it.

Shanghai Jack
05-15-2021, 10:51 PM
Price of poker just went up ... if a common brick of 22’s can go for $180 ... I have a brick of Lapua Match Target rounds with the rest of my collectibles

Well, I didn't want to contribute to the craziness but I couldn't pass up a offer $1250 for my brick of Lapua X-act. They're usually $25.00 or so a box, so I didn't make a terrible killing but did more than double my money.

Garyshome
05-15-2021, 11:03 PM
Cheaper to reload 9mm. get a pcc in 9 hey while your at it get 1 in 45 also [Hi Point]:p

2A-Jay
05-15-2021, 11:25 PM
I was fortunate I bought a Box of reloading stuff at a Yard Sale A couple Months ago for $5.00 In the bottom of the Box was 4 50 rd boxes of .22lr Thunder bolts, and a 500 rd Brick ofCCI .22lr. I don't get that lucky very often. There is NO ammo availabe here in Long Beach WA now, not even at the only Gun Shop. Guns are limited to AR Style guns.

uscra112
05-16-2021, 01:38 AM
Wasted yer luck. Shoulda been playing the slots in Vegas!

trapper9260
05-16-2021, 05:05 AM
I got the 327 for this reason back when the BH came out because of how it was with the 22lr when Zero was in office and I use them for my trap line .If need to I will use the 32 S&W cartridge in my 327 to take the place of 22lr if need to and when get low on the 22lr, I will save them after for the guns that needs them. The price of these 22 lr is getting out of hand sad to see . makes reloading and casting the best thing to do now for how things are I do reloading and casting for other reasons then this and did not need this reason to do it and you can get a 30 cal to shoot like a 22lr. I done it . beside my 22 -250 I posted about it some time ago. I already got the reload of primers for all down and P caps also. Sad times we in .

JoeJames
05-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Price does not particularly matter if swapping ammo. My Ruger 77-22 likes Rem. GB’s; thought I was short on them. Checked local gun shop; he’d just gotten a bulk pack of GB’s. Asked about a swap, was ok with him; so swapped a bulk pack of Federals for the pack of GB’s.

robg
05-19-2021, 07:56 AM
american eagle is £48 for 500 ,cci mini mags £55 for 500.never thought we would be cheaper than in the USA.

trapper9260
05-19-2021, 11:04 AM
american eagle is £48 for 500 ,cci mini mags £55 for 500.never thought we would be cheaper than in the USA.

I think it is because for what is going on here in the states , one of my sisters is just getting into reloading and she had to get some of the things she needed from the UK then here in the states because of for how it is here now. Just like there is some think in Canada that is in stock but not here in the states and here it is higher. Said times are here . Thanks for the up date on the prices are there.

Tripplebeards
05-29-2021, 04:11 PM
I just left a Walmart. They had a 3 box of ammo per person limit. I and my relative picked up 5 boxes of 100 CCI CB 710 FPS shorts for $7.98ea and a 15 round box of 12 gauge Winchester 2 3/4” slugs for $13.98. The relative was my mom who I sweet talked into grabbing a few extras for me. There was a guy in line who bought the other box of Winchester slugs and 2 boxes of 15 Winchester 2 3/4” slugs. There were 2 boxes of CCI left for sone lucky person. The guy who bought the slugs said he bought a brick of 22lr at our other Walmart a few days ago. Glad I waited.I saw a box of 50 quiets at the LGS a few weeks back for $12.99 and passed. I’ve been looking for those CB’s for a couple of years now. Picked up a a 1850’s 6mm flobert and restored it a few months back. I’be been on a mission to get the shorts to try in it. I just picked up 3 more 22lr rifles so I needed the extra ammo to test them out.

rcslotcar
05-29-2021, 07:27 PM
I began to stock up on .22lr and reloading supplies before Obummer was elected. I bought a little of any thing every month on payday. I'm set for several decades now. The price of all shooting supplies will come down but not to pre-pandemic level. Take this disaster (Biden) as a new warning and stock up as you can. I'd like to see "Trump" re elected and have new laws put into effect to provide ammo manufactures with a stimulus to reduce the cost to mfg ammo.

uscra112
05-29-2021, 10:05 PM
With the $ weakening, anything we import, from microwaves to ammo to oil, is going the more expensive. Don't count on the price of gas coming back down in the fall. If you need anythng, buy it now before the $ shrinks any further.

Norske
06-01-2021, 11:17 PM
The local major sporting goods retailer got a bunch of small CCI pistol and rifle primers. Their price was about a dollar/100 more than last year. Those primers could be bought by the brick after they got a second shipment.

Iron369
06-01-2021, 11:30 PM
I bought ammo like some bought stocks; a little each payday. I’ve got more 22lr than I’ll ever shoot. ( I bought because I have 3 daughters and wanted to introduce them to shooting sports). I’m not a hoarder, but if I can find it at a decent price, I’ll buy it because eventually, it won’t be available ever.

SoonerEd
06-02-2021, 12:13 AM
At that price I'll sell all my cci standard velocity and Federal and make and extra mortgage payment on my house.

303Guy
06-02-2021, 01:44 AM
It's curious that we here in New Zealand now have CCI shorts. CCI longs along with their other offerings. The shorts and longs are not too bad in comparison to their other stuff and other makers stuff. I might be interested in the longs if I knew they would shoot straight in my rifles (or one of them actually). The logic being they have lighter projectiles at subsonic velocities. Maybe I should just get a pack and try them. That would be for quiet back yard work.

Tripplebeards
06-02-2021, 06:04 AM
I tried the CB shorts on my 1850’s 6mm Flobert. Still to powerful fo a round. Good thing I picked up a tin of 6mm flobert rounds.

uscra112
06-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Longs will work fine.

Drm50
06-02-2021, 08:12 AM
I was at local outdoor sale this past weekend. Semi annual deal. Many dealers selling guns and ammo. I saw one guy who had CCI 22s and Primers for $200 @ brick. I didn’t see a lot of ammo sold but there were people buying one box at similar prices. Prices on guns were ridiculous. I was looking to buy a SxS 12g for a buddy. Just a Stevens or similar. A cool $600 to open and they weren’t creame puffs.

Tripplebeards
06-02-2021, 10:33 PM
Longs will work fine.

They blow the action open when firing and the spent case will fly across the room...or my eyes or head if I would have been dumb enough to hold it up to my cheek when I tested longs a few months back. The CB shorts throw sparks in every direction but the action doesn’t completely open. If there is a 22lr round that’s less powder and velocity than the 710 FPS CB I will have to test it.

uscra112
06-02-2021, 10:40 PM
I was answering 303guy.

But for your Flobert ... can you find some of Aguila's Colibri?

Tripplebeards
06-03-2021, 08:50 PM
I was answering 303guy.

But for your Flobert ... can you find some of Aguila's Colibri?

I wish. Anyone have some I could trade some other 22lr ammo for?

Tripplebeards
06-10-2021, 09:00 PM
I got lucky and asked a Walmart employee if they had 22lr today. He checked the back room and brought out a case of 22lr federal auto match along with 2 boxes of 333 Winchester ammo. Limit of 3 so I grabbed a box of 325 auto match with both boxes of Winchester 333’s. I was ticked because I sighted in my cz452 ultralux with the Winchester ammo yesterday. I knew it shot about a half inch with a 5 shot group at 50 yards with my old scope that was fuzzy. It now shoots all in the same hole at 50 yards with better optics! I installed a tasco 2.5-10 mil dot on it. Here is my target from yesterday. The top right is the first 50 yards 5 shot group. I then I adjusted my scope down four clicks and two clicks to the left. That was the single hole straight down from the first group. I’ve been collected over two or three to the left and shot a five shot group. You can barely see the little red dot that I was aiming for. The whole is about the diameter of what a single 35 Rem would poke in a target. At 25 yards a 5 shot group looked like a single 308 poked through my target. I can hit dead center at 100 yards using the bottom of the first mil dot. After I figured out where to aim at 100 yards. I hit four gold balls and a shotgun shell…5 for 5!

https://i.imgur.com/dQ3NVqp.jpg

robertbank
07-05-2021, 08:53 PM
To much hoarding in the Lower 48. We have some supply but prices are higher than last year. Gov't deficits up here are keeping our dollar low despite the price of oil going up. Hurts when most of our imports come from the US.

Take Care

Bob

Tripplebeards
09-02-2021, 06:25 PM
I stopped in Walmart today to get some SD cards for my trail camera and ran into some 22 Winchester Magnum ammo they had on sitting locked up with the guns. They were 3, 125 count cartons of 40 grain HP 1875fps for $22.85 ea with a limit of three. I’m very low in 22 WMR so all 3 went home with me. They aren’t the 30 grain hornady vmax my gun loves but I’ll make due.

Rich/WIS
09-03-2021, 01:20 PM
Been watching prices on Ammoseek for 22LR and they have slowly dropped to the 10-12 cent range over the last several months. Have found a few sales on various forums that were within reason so picked up 2K Win for 12.5 cents delivered and 3.25K Federal Auto Match for just over 10 cents delivered. Went to a small local show end of July and prices were all over the place, one table had 50 rd boxes of Win for $25 next to bricks of Aquila for $65. Primers were few and ridiculously priced. Fortunately am well stocked on primers and powder and at my age my son will have to finish using them up.

Tripplebeards
09-03-2021, 02:45 PM
Here a pic of my find

https://i.imgur.com/gijVMSy.jpg

I also picked up a 1000 "Winchester 555" rebranded as browning from cabelas for around $49 a few months back.

flint45
09-03-2021, 03:51 PM
I am glad that I invested some of my retirement funds in ammo a few years ago.

uscra112
09-04-2021, 02:08 AM
FWIW I was in Walmart (Marietta OH) on Monday, they had no .22 ammo at all. Not that I need any - I was just curious. Like FLINT45 I laid in a lifetime supply during the first Clinton administration.

Photog
09-05-2021, 01:35 PM
Absolutely no ammo on the shelves in Flagstaff at the Sportsman when I went by last week. I still have some 22, but not a good enough supply. I'm well set for reloading with 30k+ primers, 28lbs of powder and I cast for everything. GT bullets is selling 96-2-2 and 94-3-3 lead at a decent price and I don't have to alloy it at home. Only thing I'm missing is a 30 carbine LNL plate, but I can single stage for that.
I'm now been through every major scare/shortage since the early 90's, and they all seem to end the same.

robertbank
09-05-2021, 01:43 PM
No primers, some powder and a fair bit of .22lr locally. Ammo is hit and miss. Lots of "Out of Stock: in our retail outlet websites.

Take Care

Bob

frkelly74
09-05-2021, 04:30 PM
Today.. Dunhams.. Remington thunder bolt 500 rd box... $50

beagle74
09-14-2021, 09:06 PM
A good lesson to have stocked up a while ago when given the chance. I have more than I'll ever go through. I'm sure. In trying to make this most meaningful, I would say to buy it whenever you see it at a reasonable price. I know this has been discussed for pages and there isn't much more I can say, but I'm just trying to fit in and contribute, and be accepted.

"Spoon"
09-27-2021, 10:52 PM
During the Great .22 Famine of Obama I rationed my use. I still had plenty but what was sad my kids didn’t get the experience of blowing through 500 rounds in an afternoon like I did. They thought .22 shells were like gold. That may have been the more important lesson. Once .22 shells hit $.08 each I switched to my rolled .38 rounds. I did set buy prices. First it was $.05 round, then $.04, then $.03. I made sure when I found a deal , I stocked up. I would tell people in that situation now to do the same. If you need it buy it but watch for the deals. If history runs true they will come again. Remember a deal must be looked at from a current perspective not from the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shepherd2
09-29-2021, 09:41 AM
We went to the gun show in Cambridge Saturday. One vendor was selling CCI Target standard velocity 22s for $42.74 a brick. I thought that was strange since the same vendor had some small pistol primers for $165/1000.

ohiochuck
09-29-2021, 10:12 PM
Dunham's in Zanesville has had a fairly steady supply of Federal and Norma 22 LR ammo this year. prices are higher than 18 months ago. Also has a good supply of center fire ammo as compared to last year.
Walmart has at best a sporadic supply of rimfire ammo
Jim

rbuck351
09-30-2021, 12:14 AM
Yesterday the Walmart in Kalispell had Federal 325packs for $21.95 and Winchester Anniversary 300 packs for $40. I left them for someone else as I probably will never need any more 22lr.

Shepherd2
09-30-2021, 10:57 AM
Our local Rural King has had Norma .22LR in stock for months but $8.99/50 it just sits there. Someone told me that it was on sale for $6.99. I'm glad there's no shortage at my house.

John Boy
09-30-2021, 11:20 AM
I’ll never have a shortage …. Primed empty cases reloaded with smokeless or black powder … 2000 reloads done and about 7000 empty cases in inventory

dverna
09-30-2021, 02:11 PM
I fired 200 rounds of new stock 22's yesterday from two brands. Cost was less than $7.50 and it was cheap fun.

40 five shot groups and it was damn good stuff. One brand average .71" groups at 50 yards and the other .88".

Air pellets are the answer to LR ripoff pricing.

Like Spoon, I shot .38 reloads during the last .22 LR shortage, but I am not wasting $100/k primers during this one.

ohiochuck
09-30-2021, 02:57 PM
"Our local Rural King has had Norma .22LR in stock for months but $8.99/50 it just sits there. Someone told me that it was on sale for $6.99."
That is what I paid for it last year at Dunham's. Now $12.00/box
Jim

15meter
09-30-2021, 09:42 PM
Things are filling back in. Was in a gun shop in Sandusky Ohio this afternoon, multiple thousand rounds of 22, not cheap but available. Prices were down from a month ago, not much but coming down.

Center-fire ammo shelves were probably a 1/3 or more full, as opposed to completely empty 8 months ago.

Powder was easily 150 lbs. plus. Again in contrast to 8 months ago with bare shelves and prices were back in the low thirty dollar range.

The had primers, still pretty limited in quantity and prices were just silly. But they ARE starting to show back up.

rbuck351
09-30-2021, 11:29 PM
The local Walmart had some Federal 325 packs at $21.95 and some Win anniversary 300rd packs for $40 a couple of days ago.

samari46
10-01-2021, 12:48 AM
I picked up 3 330 round boxes of Federal Auto Match for 19 bucks each. Wal mart had these in stock as of last week. Only 4 boxes of shotgun shells and no other ammo. Frank

Pressman
10-04-2021, 07:53 AM
Scheels in Mankato had Norma for 12.00 a box and plenty on hand, I left it all there. Might get a couple of boxes later, just because. I did pick up a brick of CCI Quiet Target for $45.00. I like it for indoor practice in the basement. Sadly, there was no CCI Standard.

Ken

uscra112
10-04-2021, 11:12 AM
Now I wonder if CCI has done another run of Quiet. About a year ago they told me they had no plan to make any more "for the foreseeable future". I was desperate, and paid a scalper $80.00 for a brick. (I use Quiet for pest control around the livestock and on the back porch.)

BenTolson
10-04-2021, 01:34 PM
Went to an estate auction today that had a number of guns up for sale. Watched a brick of white box Winchester 22lr go for $180! I know prices are up but I about **** my pants! Wished I'd brought a few bricks to sell on consignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

White box Winchester? Are you talking about 1950-60's era Olin military contract or other 1960's Winchester contract or was it the recent stuff? A brick of the Olin military contract has brought that (and more) for several years to collectors.... If it was the recent stuff, well.... a roll of TP would have been appropriate.

Handloader109
10-04-2021, 03:28 PM
It's just funny what some will pay... I wandered through a local Atwood the other day. Good supply of some various guns, and a few boxes of shotshells. Maybe a dozen boxes of various centerfire and one lonely box of 22 ammo. I didn't even look closely at brand.....

Pressman
10-05-2021, 10:47 AM
USCRA112, apparently, they made another run. Scheels had 50 or so bricks.

gwpercle
10-05-2021, 02:36 PM
So today 10 / 5 / 2021 how much does a brick of any 22 LR sell for ... I'm scared to look !

Sales flyer from local Academy advertised guns for sale ... but no ammo !
Why buy a new gun if you cant buy ammo ...
pointing the gun and saying ... phew , phew , phew ... doesn't work
Gary

Texas by God
10-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Academy had CCI Mini- mag 22LR @$12/100; and Norma .22LR for $10/50 last week. I bought some CCI- not a great price but not bad for these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

tazman
10-09-2021, 11:52 PM
Found several bricks of Thunderbolts today. I bought 5 of them for $30 apiece. I was surprised when the dealer let me have that many. He still had several left for the next guy.
During the last shortage, I paid more than that by quite a bit.
I needed some plinking ammo and now I have some.

GasGuzzler
10-10-2021, 05:41 AM
Local gun classifieds have listings for "cheap" .22LR at $0.08 per round and 22WMR at $0.36 per round. No sales after over a week but compared to what y'all are listing, it is "cheap". I stocked up 2012-2014. I frequent Walmart very infrequently but ours hasn't had any ammo of any type other than 28 gauge for almost two years, possibly more.

15meter
10-10-2021, 03:55 PM
I was buying all the Federal 36 grain copper plated 22lr's I wanted right up to the election at the local Wally World for $18.84/550 bulk boxes.

Only reenforced the bench once:holysheep

Winchester blasters were $45 a brick yesterday, limit 1 brick.

And people were walking by them.

As Remington ramps up production more, I suspect both price and availability will improve across the board.

Ithaca Gunner
10-10-2021, 04:03 PM
Found several bricks of Thunderbolts today. I bought 5 of them for $30 apiece. I was surprised when the dealer let me have that many. He still had several left for the next guy.
During the last shortage, I paid more than that by quite a bit.
I needed some plinking ammo and now I have some.

Wow, twenty some years ago while in a local ''Boscov's'' department store buying socks, they announced a flash sale on Remington Thunderbolts for $5.00 a brick. Sporting goods was just across a main isle from Men's Hosiery so after paying for the socks I ran over to grab a brick. How bad can this stuff be at $5.00 a brick?..Bad enough I was glad I didn't get greedy at the store and buy a bunch of it! In fact, I felt robbed at that price and wanting my $5.00 back! Some of it went, ''POW!'' Some, ''PEW!'' And some even went, ''K-RAK!'' Somehow though the stuff seemed to shoot almost as well at 100yds as it did at 25yds, (something I can't explain, minute of soup can at 25yds, minute of soup can at 100yds...most of the time). Funny thing is, I'm still finding partial boxs of the stuff occasionally, ''Hey, some twenty...ah, never mind. Ya want these?''

tazman
10-10-2021, 04:06 PM
I used to hate the Thunderbolts. Dirty and lots of misfires.
Recently, they seem to be much better. I am getting good but not excellent accuracy out of them and misfires have been nonexistent.
They have been shooting at least as well as any of the Federal or Winchester ammunition I have been able to get.

jonp
10-10-2021, 04:50 PM
Ive found Thunderbolts, Wildcats and other hypervelocity 22lr to be ok within 10 or 15yrds but after that its 3 or 4 shots to net a red squirrel. Better than not having any, though

Ithaca Gunner
10-10-2021, 06:42 PM
Recently, they seem to be much better. I am getting good but not excellent accuracy out of them and misfires have been nonexistent.
They have been shooting at least as well as any of the Federal or Winchester ammunition I have been able to get.

Could very well be, I spoke with the QC manager at Remington in MO about 10 years ago about some .30 Carbine brass I bought from Midway that were about half formed and he took care of it, and quick! I had a box and label the next day to send them back direct to him and 500 new brass, plus a free pair of nice Remington shooting glasses to boot within a week. I was on the phone with the guy for about 45 minutes talking guns and shooting and was favorably impressed by him. I suspect someone lost their scalp in the plant over that one.

uscra112
10-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Amateurs say Quality control, professionals say Process control. Quality comes from intensive inspection of each and every step in the mfg. process, (there are hundreds, just making .22 ammo), and taking prompt corrective action if something starts to drift off. In my career in the automotive powertrain field, corrective action often started when a dimension spread exceeded just 10% of the Tolerance. Not exceeded the Tolerance by 10%, but exceeded 10% of the Tolerance. If you work that way, you never make a bad part, and final inspection becomes irrelevant. Remington was clearly ignoring this. I know from a statistical study of Thunderbolts that I did about six years ago that they were using bullets taken from multiple swaging machines which differed in average weight by as much a 2 grains! They apparently weren't even bothering to check. Unforgivable! What else were they letting slide?

Let's hope the new owners do better.

Ithaca Gunner
10-10-2021, 08:09 PM
I got your point, and it's a good one. Last week I pulled some old .30WCF bullets from a box of 1950's Winchester what should have been just brass. The bullets weighed +/- 3gr. of 150gr. that's a six grain spread! Had it been more than 8, I suspect the spread would have been greater.

rockrat
10-10-2021, 08:55 PM
Local WM has 22's at around $22/325 (Federal auto match) and some Winchester in a yellow box at $40 for 300 rounds. Some 12ga., 350 Legend and 7.62 x 51. Last bulk pack of shotgun shells had gone up $5/pack to just about $30. Friend bought some sp CCI's @$6.99/100 and I saw some 450's for $90 a brick.

BigAlofPa.
10-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Our walmart the CCI Mags went up 3.00 per 50. They had some in stock last night. I didn't buy any i still have plenty on hand.

15meter
10-11-2021, 07:00 PM

Around here the Remington Thunderbolts are referred to respectfully as "Thunderduds".

uscra112
10-11-2021, 07:21 PM
Around here the Remington Thunderbolts are referred to respectfully as "Thunderduds".

I wonder if they'll ever live that down.

If I were the marketing consultant, I'd tell 'em to just retire the brand, come up with a new name, new packaging, put better ammo in it, and move on.

tazman
10-13-2021, 04:32 PM
Ran across some Aguila super extra in 250 count boxes today at a store for $20. They had a limit of three so that is how many I purchased.
I have never used this particular cartridge before. I have used quite a bit of Aguila target ammo with good results. It will be interesting to find out how ell this stuff shoots.

Tripplebeards
10-13-2021, 08:44 PM
The last three times I’ve been on Walmart they have 22lr in stock. The auto match went from $18 to $22 per 350 now. There wax also a box of 300 Winchester for $40. That was a new offering I haven’t seen there before. They also had $20 of Winchester heavy game loads. I’ll pass I bought a few boxes of federal heavy game loads at Walmart three months for $10.99 a box.

robg
10-14-2021, 12:18 PM
cci mini mag 35grain hollow point shoot well in my 1022 and bsa martini <lucky or what> £11 per 100. the round nose mini mags are dreadful in my rifles .22lr are fussy beasts.

FergusonTO35
10-15-2021, 10:53 AM

Thunderduds are the best cheap ammo for my rifles. They group decent and operate my autoloaders. Pistols, fuhgeddaboutit. They must use a slower powder than most, as I get an awful lot of weak rounds when firing them out of a short barrel. I really like the Golden Bullet 40 grain rounds, they are much cleaner and shoot about as good as anything else. Unfortunately they are pretty rare here.

Ugh, I think we about to hit another guns and ammo panic here. Toilet paper hoarding is already starting up again!

uscra112
10-15-2021, 11:04 AM
.22LR rifle and pistol ammo are indeed two different kettles of fish. Pistol ammo does indeed use faster powder.

Read an article this morning about a zinc smelter shutting down over supply chain problems. Brass is copper and zinc. No zinc, no brass. No brass, no ammo.

dtknowles
10-16-2021, 01:08 AM
Amateurs say Quality control, professionals say Process control. Quality comes from intensive inspection of each and every step in the mfg. process, (there are hundreds, just making .22 ammo), and taking prompt corrective action if something starts to drift off. In my career in the automotive powertrain field, corrective action often started when a dimension spread exceeded just 10% of the Tolerance. Not exceeded the Tolerance by 10%, but exceeded 10% of the Tolerance. If you work that way, you never make a bad part, and final inspection becomes irrelevant. Remington was clearly ignoring this. I know from a statistical study of Thunderbolts that I did about six years ago that they were using bullets taken from multiple swaging machines which differed in average weight by as much a 2 grains! They apparently weren't even bothering to check. Unforgivable! What else were they letting slide?

Let's hope the new owners do better.

Experts know it is truly Quality Control and understand Process Control is just one part of Quality Control. Inspection is another, Source Control is another, another is Training and Certification. Failure investigation, Cause and Corrective Actions. To have high quality everyone in the company needs to understand Quality is Job One and it is everyone's job to make sure you produce a Quality Product. If you or your position cause a defect, halt the line reject the product yourself. Don't leave it to Inspection to catch to defects.

The thing the most hurts the quality of a product is a mindset that says cost, quotas and schedule are more important than Quality.

The idea of a 100% money back guarantee just makes you their final inspector. Great customer service is getting it right the first time.

Tim

tazman
10-21-2021, 10:21 PM
I visited a couple of sporting goods store in Iowa City today. They had a lot of ammunition much of which was 22lr.
They also wanted high prices for it.
Thunderbolts for $50 per 500 round box. Most other brands were on hand as well and priced similarly.
Oddly, the Match ammunition wasn't marked up. Apparently, they don't sell enough of the match grade to make it worth their time marking it up the way they do regular ammunition.
I also saw bricks of small rifle primers on hand for $100 per thousand. I still have plenty of those left so they can stay there.
Powder was available. I didn't check the prices because I don't need any.

Butzbach
10-22-2021, 12:03 AM
Experts know it is truly Quality Control and understand Process Control is just one part of Quality Control. Inspection is another, Source Control is another, another is Training and Certification. Failure investigation, Cause and Corrective Actions. To have high quality everyone in the company needs to understand Quality is Job One and it is everyone's job to make sure you produce a Quality Product. If you or your position cause a defect, halt the line reject the product yourself. Don't leave it to Inspection to catch to defects.

The thing the most hurts the quality of a product is a mindset that says cost, quotas and schedule are more important than Quality.

The idea of a 100% money back guarantee just makes you their final inspector. Great customer service is getting it right the first time.

Tim

What he said.^

If you rely on inspection for QC your process is not under statistical control. If it is not under statistical control, you don’t really understand your process.

uscra112
10-22-2021, 02:04 AM
Just tonight reading a metals industry trade website learned that while the shortage of magnesium (major source = China) for producing aluminum alloys is getting all the attention in the press these days, COPPER inventories are running low as well, allegedly due to the widely reported shipping bottlenecks. That of course will spike brass prices, and/or limit availability in the next few moths/years. Another long term factor re: copper is the mandates for electric cars.

.22 ammo prices are never going to recover to what we remember. Police your brass. Recycle whenever possible. Waste not, want not.

Baltimoreed
10-24-2021, 03:48 PM
I stocked up with a bunch of everything after the last draught. I also police up my .22 hulls and other folks brass. Scrap is scrap. The days of cheap anything are over. With the worker shortage companies are over a barrel and WILL have to pay more either in wages or benefits to get workers and ultimately the consumer will be the one who pays. And with the current gang inside the beltway whos standard answer to when asked ‘how you going to pay for that?’ is ‘tax the rich and tax companies’. Well the rich don’t pay taxes as they have an army of accountants to make sure they don’t and anything extra that business pays gets passed on to the consumer, read you and me. Rant over.

uscra112
10-24-2021, 04:18 PM
What he said.^

If you rely on inspection for QC your process is not under statistical control. If it is not under statistical control, you don’t really understand your process.

Or in the case of Remington in recent years you understand it but you just don't care. A easy trap to fall into when you can sell all you make regardless, especially when bean counters rule. Another case in point is Boeing, which went from a company of engineers prior to the merger with McDonnell-Douglas to a company ruled from Chicago by politicians and bankers.