View Full Version : Looking for a BHN of 7 to 8 for muzzleloader boolits

lungbuster1
12-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hay fellers
I shoot strickly Muzzleloaders and am looking for a lead mix of WW and Pure Soft Lead that will get me a 7 or 8 bhn :veryconfu , as I don't have a tester I thought some one here may have a good idea.

Also a great Pan lube for Muzzleloader BOOLITS [smilie=b:

Thanks in advance
LB1
:redneck:

Springfield
12-30-2008, 11:17 AM
About 2 parts lead to one part ww should do it. Why not just pure lead?

montana_charlie
12-30-2008, 12:17 PM
If you already have pure lead available, you have the right 'alloy' without any mixing.
CM

Lead melter
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
As I recall, the BHN of pure lead is just about 8. Castability of pure can be a problem, as fillout is often not complete. Try casting as hot as your pot will go, and if this doesn't work, add just a touch (1-2%) tin to help fill out the mold.

As far as pan lube goes, I'm in the dark. The T/C Wonder Lube seems to work well for ML projectiles and can be applied sans pan process.

45 2.1
12-30-2008, 12:29 PM
As I recall, the BHN of pure lead is just about 8. Castability of pure can be a problem, as fillout is often not complete. Try casting as hot as your pot will go, and if this doesn't work, add just a touch (1-2%) tin to help fill out the mold.

As far as pan lube goes, I'm in the dark. The T/C Wonder Lube seems to work well for ML projectiles and can be applied sans pan process.

BHN of pure Pb is about 5. The above mentioned mix via Springfield is what you asked for. Cast at the proper temperature and technique, pure lead casts easily and fills out completely.

lungbuster1
12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks fellers

Springfield
As far as shooting the pure soft lead I do not get as good of accurrasy or penetration that I am looking for they expand to fast !

I got some from Dan ( aka BullShop ) and they shot fantastic Some of the best shooting Conicals I have ever shot in my life , 3 shots in 2 holes @ 100yds bench rest , but I think they were a 50/50 mix but did not expand well at all .

I may have forgot to say that these were going to be 465gn conicals shot from a 1:28" twist GM barrle out of my Inlines.

I was thinking on a 70/30 mix dose that sound about right ? I really am not sure as I am very very new to this casting stuff ( STUPID NEW )

montana_charlie
12-30-2008, 02:04 PM
As I recall, the BHN of pure lead is just about 8. Castability of pure can be a problem,...add just a touch (1-2%) tin to help fill out the mold.
Adding 2.5% tin to pure lead will result in 40-1 alloy, which has a BHN of 8...and is somewhat common as a cartridge gun alloy.

I got some from Dan ( aka BullShop ) and they shot fantastic Some of the best shooting Conicals I have ever shot in my life , 3 shots in 2 holes @ 100yds bench rest , but I think they were a 50/50 mix but did not expand well at all .

I may have forgot to say that these were going to be 465gn conicals shot from a 1:28" twist GM barrle out of my Inlines.
As you are loading a conical instead of patched ball, you may be able to use something harder than pure lead...maybe. But, conicals have to be 'small' to get rammed into the bore...and then expand to grab the rifling.

You haven't said what diameter those Bullshop bullets were, so it's unclear how much 'bump' you need. Lead/tin alloys are somewhat more 'elastic' than alloy which relies on antimony for hardness...which brings up the question, "What alloy did Bullshop use?"

You say those bullets wee too hard to expand well, which makes me wonder if they 'bump' (much) at all, when fired.

So many questions...so little information...
CM

Larry Gibson
12-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I go with Montana Charlie

Use tin with the lead for inlines. I shoot a .50 cal Blk Mtn magnum (28" twist barrel made for 150 gr charges of Pyrodex/BP). I to quickly found that pure lead was not strong enough for MaxiBalls (370 gr) at 1500+ fps. I also knew from casting for my TDs that Frankford Arsenal, in 1880, found a 1-16 alloy to be best for their new 500 gr service bullet. I tried 1-16 alloy with the MaxiBall and found immediate success at 1525 fps with excellent accuracy and expansion in game. So I suggest trying 40-1, 30-1, 20-1 and 16-1 alloy. One of those will suit your needs with your inline perfectly.

Larry Gibson

JeffinNZ
12-30-2008, 03:17 PM
My stick on wheel weights measure 7.2 BHN.

lungbuster1
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Sorry guys
When I was saying that the Conicals from dan did not expand I was talking about in a deer I took a High shoulder shot on a big buck this year and it did drop him right were he stood but had to shoot him a second time the exit hole was the same size as the entrance hole - None or not much Expantion . The bullet that I was useing was a .452 488gn BullShop shot from a .45cal Knight 209 mag Wolverine and the barrle slugged out at .451.5 I tried a .451 but they were to loose of a fit I began to get some leading from the .451 bullets . What alloy did Bullshop use?" I don't Know but I have always trusted dans Advice when it come to my booolits .
And this is in no way saying anything bad about dan at all as far as I am conserned he casts the best shooting conicals there is and I plan on still buying them I just aquired alot of lead from a buddy and have always been interested in casting but was to afraid to try it but i think I would like to give it a run now. The WW that I have are the clip on type but I do have some pure soft lead . and really don't want to buy tin so I thought that i could find a good mix of the WW & Pb to fit the bill.
Thanks Ron G.

madcaster
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Try mixing up some DRD lube,which is
3 parts beeswax
1 part olive oil
1 part STP Oil Treatment
Works great I feel!

runfiverun
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
you could always anneal the nose of dan's boolits right before the season then you will have what you want.
it is easy enough to do and you only need to 5 or so for a season.....
it's lead ....there is always something you can do to it.

lungbuster1
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
madcaster And runfiverun

Thanks so very much for the resp.
I will try that lube for sure.

Try mixing up some DRD lube,which is
3 parts beeswax
1 part olive oil
1 part STP Oil Treatment
Works great I feel!:

idahoron
12-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I mix 5 pounds of pure dead soft virgin lead with 500 grains of chilled lead shot, that is just over 1 ounce. I get .030 to .045 on my cabin tree tester. I am going to guess about 7 BHN average.
I am using this mix in all my ML's. I have 2 Green Mountain 50's 1-28 twist, and 1 45 1-18 twist. In the 50's I am using the Lee C-501-440-RF it weighs 460 gr and I paper patch this bullet. I am getting sub 2" groups at 100 yards. Ron

cajun shooter
12-31-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm not doubting what madcaster posted but I don't like putting any oil based products in anything that shoots The HOLY BLACK. I did not see which powder you use. The fake stuff can get by on this but not the one and only. The sticky section has several lube receipes, look for one of your liking without oil based products.

montana_charlie
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I was talking about in a deer I took a High shoulder shot on a big buck this year and it did drop him right were he stood but had to shoot him a second time the exit hole was the same size as the entrance hole - None or not much Expantion ..
If that 'high shoulder shot' did not touch bone, it passed through muscle (not vital organs) in a place where the animal is so 'narrow' there isn't enough mass to cause much expansion...even if the bullet is able to expand.

It would be my guess that the 'same hit' from almost any modern rifle/cartridge combination would have been similarly ineffective in putting the animal down for good.

It's possible (if you had not followed up) that the deer may well have recovered from the wound, and could have told his grandchildren stories about his scar.

It would be a mistake to assume a bullet is ineffective (because of it's hardness) when that evaluation might be based on a poor hit.
CM