PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat supplies/ But NOT for boolits

cheese1566
04-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Last year I started to powder coat in the shop and bought an Eastwood dual voltage gun and built a larger oven with PID controls. At that time, I bought some powder to play with. I usually use RustOleum Hammer spray, but I now like the powder coat process.

I am refurbing some small equipment and ordered a couple pounds from Prismatic Powder, the sister company to Cerakote. The prices was OK, shipping was a flat $5.99 when it eventually shipped (it took over a week to ship after order). They have so many colors, it’s really overwhelming.

I have started to look at other suppliers like PowderByThePound and the PowderCoatStore. In my area, there isn’t a local coater willing to sell a pound or two very easily.

Where do you order your powder from for shop use?
(Not for boolits, just shop use.)

I would really like to find a green/silver dual speckle like RCBS green.

Burnt Fingers
04-09-2021, 12:25 PM
Shipping was $5.99????

Wow!!! They used to charge $15 for shipping.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PVB-8117/aqua-silver

That appears pretty close to the RCBS color.

I see $6.95 next day shipping. I'm off to order some powder!

cheese1566
04-09-2021, 12:44 PM
Interesting, two weeks ago it was 5.99, but they are delayed in shipping for about 7 days.

I tried the aqua silver but it came out more aqua green and wished it was darker.

281034 281035

blackthorn
04-09-2021, 02:06 PM
What is the difference between generic(?) powder and that used for bullets?

Conditor22
04-09-2021, 02:31 PM
What is the difference between generic(?) powder and that used for bullets?

All powder sold will spray not all powder will ASBBDT/shake & Bake

Smoke4320
04-09-2021, 02:34 PM
If you are trying to do the dry tumble method for bullets MOST formulas of powder will NOT work.

MaryB
04-09-2021, 03:15 PM
Prismatic has been my go to source. I am currently building a larger oven because my friends grandson wants some rims done. And if I do his I will get all his friends, and their friends...

I also build ham radio equipment and need to label it. Playing with laser cooking powder coat for the knob/switch labels. So far not perfect but getting close! This will also work to powder coat designs/writing on gun parts once I perfect it.