PDA

View Full Version : Posting brass overseas

brnomauser
04-09-2021, 08:09 AM
What are the legalities of posting once fired brass overseas - eg from the US to Australia, personal use to personal use? Can they just be chucked in a padded envelope and put in the mail?

mdi
04-09-2021, 12:27 PM
I'd try at least. Fired cases are just inert pieces of brass. But that's logical but the USPS may disagree... :veryconfu

I have purchased once fired brass on several occasions and it was delivered via regular postal service, but that's just in the US...

Outpost75
04-09-2021, 02:45 PM
You can't export it under ITAR.

zarrinvz24
04-09-2021, 02:50 PM
You can't export it under ITAR.

Yes the State Department is whose jurisdiction this falls into. No Bueno.

LUBEDUDE
04-11-2021, 04:05 AM
Years ago an Aussie shot at a match that I was at in New Mexico. He told me that he always always brought back home the maximum amount of brass that he could get into the country with. I forgot what that number was, but I remembered thinking that it was not enough, especially for a competitive shooter.

As an aside, I used to ship cast bullets to a guy in Canada about 12-13 years ago. I had to fill out a special form and there was a limit on the number of bullets I could ship there. Needless to say, I always shipped the maximum amount.

Stephen Cohen
04-11-2021, 05:09 AM
Yes I understand its an offence to send brass to Australia without the proper documentation, Had a mate who lost a $1,000 worth of Boyd stocks to our customs. We in Australia can import some items with a form from our Police Weapons Section. If I was the one you were sending them to, I would be thankful of the thought but don't do it. Regards Stephen

Bad Ass Wallace
04-11-2021, 06:22 AM
I get barrel liners in BUT I obtain a form B709A first then send to USA and they then send the item and the completed form back. The barrel liner is customs declared as "machined parts".

dale2242
04-11-2021, 07:08 AM
Isn`t brass cases just small metal containers?

GregLaROCHE
04-11-2021, 07:23 AM
They might slip past if labeled brass containers, or maybe just containers.

dtknowles
04-11-2021, 10:51 AM
Yes the State Department is whose jurisdiction this falls into. No Bueno.

Yes, the State Department but for ITAR approval of items on the Munitions List, they have to get DOD approval before they can approve the Export License.

fgd135
04-11-2021, 12:23 PM
Iirc, empty shotgun shells, even brass cases like Magtech's, can be exported to Canada from the US, but rifle and pistol brass cannot. Go figure. And don't take my word here on the interweb as true fact, research it yourself.