PDA

View Full Version : Casting ladles

tomf52
01-02-2006, 08:10 PM
Was reading one of Lyman's publications today and the subject of casting ladles came up. The author said not to use that style of ladle which is like a ball with a quarter of it cut away and has a pipe like nipple on the other side of the ladle. I guess he was implying that an open pan shaped ladle was superior. What do you guys use? I have been using the closed style of ladle and had no real problems.

Maven
01-02-2006, 08:33 PM
I use what you use and have for 37 yrs. with no problems to speak of.

wills
01-02-2006, 10:41 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/images/Bullet%20Guide.pdf

imashooter2
01-02-2006, 11:46 PM
I've used the Lyman ladle for years also. The only problem I see with them is the spout can freeze if the ladle isn't hot. A quick swirl through the melt and that isn't an issue.

MGySgt
01-03-2006, 10:59 PM
Was reading one of Lyman's publications today and the subject of casting ladles came up. The author said not to use that style of ladle which is like a ball with a quarter of it cut away and has a pipe like nipple on the other side of the ladle. I guess he was implying that an open pan shaped ladle was superior. What do you guys use? I have been using the closed style of ladle and had no real problems.

Lyman doesn't reccomend a 'Closed Style' ladel, yet that is what they sell?????

I have both types, RCBS and Lyman and Rowell ladels. I keep coming back to the lyman.

Drew

NVcurmudgeon
01-03-2006, 11:16 PM
I use the RCBS ladle with the fin on the bottom. It is handy for raking any dross on the surface of the melt toward me before filling. Also, the RCBS holds enough alloy to fill my four-cavity H&G #68, .45 cal, 200 grain, mould and allow a generous sprue. The Lyman ladle is a little small. On either of these ladles, once the spindly little factory handle shaft breaks, I tap the hole out 5/16" NC and use a long bolt for a lasting replacement.

pdgraham
01-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I just started using my Lyman Casting Dipper (casting ladle) again after 15 years.. I haven't used it since my black powder days .. works great now.. worked great then...

Although.. I'm not doing it as they instructed here:
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanp...let%20Guide.pdf

I've always just dumped the lead into the upright mold.. :confused:

Seems to work OK that way...

One of these days I should read the manufacturers instructions for all this lead casting stuff I got... :idea: instead of pretending that I know what I'm doing..

Edward429451
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I use the Lyman with the fin also and nada problem there, except with the 45/70's. Such a long pour that I found I got many less rejects using the Lee bottom pour pot which seems ideal for big bullets.

I never did that roll the mould technique either, vertical pour.

wills
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
More thoughts on the subject

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

BABore
01-06-2006, 04:55 PM
This is a reply to a question I put to Dan at Mnt. Molds.

"The pour orifice on RCBS ladles is about 1/8". That's pretty small, plus it will get partially plugged with dross in use unless you flux religiously. If you have access to numbered drills, a #21 is about the perfect size for all around use. You might want to start out small and gradually work your way up one drill size at a time, because the larger orifice increases flow dramatically, and at first it seems difficult to control. After a while, you get used to it.

My molds will be equipped with the proper size sprue hole, about a #14."

I opened up the ladle orifice hole and sprue plate hole on my bigger bullet moulds to Dan's suggestion. It works. Straight WW's at 725-750F and I get 5-8% loss. I use a full ladle for each cavity on bullets over 300 grains.

redneckdan
01-06-2006, 07:48 PM
i welded up a little pot and welded it to a handle, the dipper holds enough lead for about 6 230gr bullets. Works great for me.