PDA

View Full Version : What’s up with RCBS?

Jtarm
04-08-2021, 09:03 PM
Are they not producing furnaces these days?

I’m ready to trash my Lee Pro-drip and have a strong preference for RCBS products, but no one has them, not even RCBS.

I guess there’s Lyman, but this is something I plan to use the rest of my life, and I trust RCBS a little more.

Stewbaby
04-08-2021, 09:40 PM
Just good ole supply and demand mixed in with COVID impact to parts that come from overseas. Some were available then they weren’t then they were then they weren’t. Same thing happening to most reloading or casting stuff. Even the Lee pot availability has been like that.

Capt Keith
04-08-2021, 09:40 PM
I’ve had an RCBS pot on backorder for about two months. I’m seriously considering backing out and getting something else just so I’ll have something.

tomme boy
04-09-2021, 01:00 AM
Waiting on China like everyone else

John Wayne
04-09-2021, 06:36 AM
There was a recent thread on here some where. Their updated pot is a failure.

Burnt Fingers
04-09-2021, 12:47 PM
They shifted production to China.

This caused them many problems. The first batch of pots didn't meet spec.

The biggest problem is the slow boat from China.

jcduchock
04-09-2021, 12:48 PM
I've been waiting on one for about a year.

Burnt Fingers
04-09-2021, 12:49 PM
Midway and a few others had them in stock a couple months ago. I think they lasted all of half an hour.

Butzbach
04-09-2021, 02:56 PM
There was a recent thread on here some where. Their updated pot is a failure.

Your avatar and signature block remind me of a line from Pulp Fiction to wit “We should have shotguns for this . . .”

megasupermagnum
04-09-2021, 06:35 PM
That would be a downgrade. I'd recommend staying with Lee, or going for a better pot.

405grain
04-09-2021, 07:49 PM
A drippy Lee pot is usually caused, (but not always), by crud getting stuck in the pour spout. This prevents the rod from seating fully. Every once in a while I clean my pot. First I remove the rod that acts as the plug for the pour spout. Then I take a stick of wooden dowel and wrap the wire from a paper clip around it to make a tool with about an inch or more of wire sticking out from one side. Using leather gloves and a propane torch I heat up the spout just enough to liquefy any lead in it. While it's hot I root out any crud in the spout with the tool. This cleans out the spout. I check the condition of the rod to make sure that the end that goes in the spout is a clean point. If it's lopsided or just not right, a quick touch up with a belt sander or a fine grinding wheel, just enough to restore the sealing surface, makes the rod like new again. Nothing will prevent a Lee pot from dripping a little bit, but cleaning the spout will make it work a whole lot better.

G. Freeman
04-11-2021, 04:01 PM
RCBS has a huge backlog. I recommend signing up for a notification for an item you would like. I got mine after waiting a month for a bullet mould. However, it took them 3 wks to send it out.

It was worth it though because their price was still cheaper than other locations.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-12-2021, 08:26 AM
If I were wanting a RCBS, I'd look for a used Pro-melt, instead of waiting for a new Pro-melt 2.

gifbohane
04-19-2021, 10:26 AM
I have been waiting for a pair of their mold handles since January.

bob15
04-20-2021, 03:54 PM
Do you need a bottom pour? If not Waage makes a really nice pot. Model K4757. You need to call and ask to place an order as it isn't listed on their site. Buffalo Arms also sells it:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/lead-casting-furnace-115v-ladl-rcb99989.html

Dog1
04-20-2021, 04:02 PM
I'm glad I bought two extra Lee 4-20 pots when I did for back up.

Even those have gone up if you can find them

farmbif
04-20-2021, 07:03 PM
I don't know if this might have anything to do with it but there is a worldwide shortage of computer chips/silicon wafers and the like. this shortage is so extensive it has idled both ford and GM assembly lines recently

bbqncigars
04-22-2021, 12:37 PM
I love my Waage pot and Rowell ladle for my large boolit casting. The Promelt gets used for the little stuff. ;-)

gwpercle
04-22-2021, 02:29 PM
If you get desperate , gas stove will melt lead ... I didn't say that .

gbrown
04-22-2021, 10:17 PM
I am a ladle pour guy. 10-12 lb. pot and lyman ladle. I like it. Nice and slow. Good to go. Just how I am.

Sasquatch-1
04-23-2021, 07:12 AM
I have a RCBS Pro Melt 2, I bought a couple of years ago. It works great so far. The biggest down side is waiting for it to cool to under 160 degrees before turning it off, as per the instructions.

Burnt Fingers
04-23-2021, 09:26 AM
I have a RCBS Pro Melt 2, I bought a couple of years ago. It works great so far. The biggest down side is waiting for it to cool to under 160 degrees before turning it off, as per the instructions.

I use an electronic timer for that. Hit the 4 hour button and walk away...of course I set the pot to 0 first.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3QEK4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jtarm
05-03-2021, 05:05 PM
That would be a downgrade. I'd recommend staying with Lee, or going for a better pot.

What would be the better pot?

I love my Waage pot and Rowell ladle for my large boolit casting. The Promelt gets used for the little stuff. ;-)

Which Rowell do you use? I’d need to be able to fill a 6-cavity 230-grain.

Veral Smith of LBT has been a proponent of ladle-casting.

Personally I find it a lot more ergonomic than hunching down to try and see to align sprue holes and spout.

Jtarm
05-03-2021, 09:15 PM

Actually I wouldn’t mind going that route if I could run a 40 lb pot.

Then I could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity.

Sasquatch-1
05-04-2021, 08:15 AM
Actually I wouldn’t mind going that route if I could run a 40 lb pot.

Then I could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity.

If that is the case and you don't mind ladle casting get a turkey fryer. The higher pressure(?) red regulator is usually preferred.

As for hunching over using a bottom pour, I use a kitchen cabinet height bench and an office chair that lines me up fairly close. I think the key to lining up the spout is good light under the pot.

Jtarm
05-04-2021, 10:14 AM
If that is the case and you don't mind ladle casting get a turkey fryer. The higher pressure(?) red regulator is usually preferred.

As for hunching over using a bottom pour, I use a kitchen cabinet height bench and an office chair that lines me up fairly close. I think the key to lining up the spout is good light under the pot.

I have the fryer, but propane is pricey.

44magLeo
05-04-2021, 03:02 PM
You could clean and lap the rod to the seat. That will help a bit. Adding some weight to the wire that lifts the rod will help.
Some have placed the rod on the other side of the wire. This may point the rod straighter into the spout.
I had a Pro Pot years ago. It leaked but I learned to work around it. It's 10 LB. capacity was ok if you weren't making a lot at a time. Going to the 4-20 I have now was a great upgrade. It drips very seldom as long as I use clean alloy. The 20 lb. capacity lets you get more boolts cast in a session.
If you don't mind ladle casting you can empty your pot, removethe handle and rod. I'm not sure if you can remove the spout, if you can do so and replace it with a short bolt with a shank big enough to fill the hole. Gring the head down so it's shorter and rounded. Makes it easier to stir the alloy without catching on the bolt.
If you can't remove the spout you can plug it permanently by threading the hole in the spout from the bottom to what ever size small bolt that will fit.
Then you use it as a ladle pot.
Even if you get another pot dfoing this lets you keep some alloy melted so when your main pot gets low you add the molten alloy from the lee pot to the maiun pot, then add ingots to theLee pot. This helps the main pot stay at casting temp or at least it can retur to castig temp quickly.
Leo

Sasquatch-1
05-05-2021, 08:51 AM
I have the fryer, but propane is pricey.

Do you have natural gas at your farm? If so there are several videos on you tube to convert to natural gas. I figured you were talking propane stove when you said you "could cast out at the farm where there’s no electricity".

You could also look into building a waste oil burner.

onelight
05-05-2021, 10:50 AM
That long shut down on the RCBS pot seems like a problem with the engineering dept. to me.
I don't understand why they brought it to market like that. It looks like a very nice pot and it's not cheap makes no sense to me to have that silly shutdown procedure .

Sasquatch-1
05-05-2021, 02:01 PM
That long shut down on the RCBS pot seems like a problem with the engineering dept. to me.
I don't understand why they brought it to market like that. It looks like a very nice pot and it's not cheap makes no sense to me to have that silly shutdown procedure .

If you are referring to waiting for it to cool to 160 degrees, I believe that has to do with the pid being in the housing with the actual pot. I believe it is to protect the electronics.

This is pure speculation on my part.

Burnt Fingers
05-05-2021, 05:40 PM
If you are referring to waiting for it to cool to 160 degrees, I believe that has to do with the pid being in the housing with the actual pot. I believe it is to protect the electronics.

This is pure speculation on my part.

You are correct. Also if you just shut it down it can damage one of the fans that keep the PID cool.

jim147
05-05-2021, 07:39 PM
If the PID is that sensitive they are using the wrong one. I use them in commercial applications all the time.