PDA

View Full Version : Welding Boolits for hunting ?

Wolfdog91
04-06-2021, 04:54 PM
Found this cruising around and found it very interesting, has anyone tried this ?

Wolfdog91
04-06-2021, 05:03 PM
Well I was trying to post the screenshot shots but didn't wanna upload so here's the link

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14252-Heavy-Cast-Bullets

jim147
04-06-2021, 05:29 PM
I need a bigger screen to read it. I'll look when I get to a real computer.

shell70634
04-06-2021, 05:54 PM
I did some 405 gr for 45-70 with 85 gr pure lead and the rest was bhn 12. Haven't killed with them yet. I dropped an 85 gr 257 cast with pure lead into the 458 mold, heated til it melted, then topped with bhn 12. Wasn't difficult. Was time consuming. Not even sure if there is a benefit over standard harness.

Shelly

charlie b
04-06-2021, 06:10 PM
The posted stuff above is not inconsistent with the "RPM theory". The theory involved states that there is a 'limit' at 140k for .30 caliber bullets. It is not a hard number as there are several variables at work. Smaller dia bullets have a higher max rpm. A small change in dia means a lot of difference based on the variables involved. I am not surprised at results using 6-7mm bullets.

I have fired .30cal bullets at 2400fps in a 10 twist barrel. Most of the time the accuracy is worse than at

Winger Ed.
04-06-2021, 06:32 PM
If ya think it'll work for you, I'd encourage doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially for target shooting at paper.
For hunting: It looks like a lot of extra casting time, can introduce unwanted variables at worst,
and brings minimal gains for all the effort at best.

When I was still hunting, I didn't over think and split hairs over doing stuff like this.
I concentrated on accuracy, trigger control, shot placement, and was sure to 'bring enough gun' for what I was doing.

M-Tecs
04-06-2021, 06:45 PM
It's an idea that has been around for a long time and various methods have been tried. No first hand experience but would be interested to see how they compare to 10-1 lead/tin bullet that is paper patched or PC'ed

Larry Gibson
04-06-2021, 07:25 PM
Been down that road both with the 2 part bullet and the claimed velocity/accuracy. Also had numerous discussions with Von Gruff regarding such. As mentioned, you want to give it a try then go for it......good luck.

GregLaROCHE
04-08-2021, 11:17 AM
It could be fun experimenting with the concept, but otherwise I think just going with a gas checked soft boolit is the most practical.

mdi
04-08-2021, 11:56 AM
I remember reading about this concept here a few times. But the discussions are normally dropped soon, indicating to me that while "duo-alloy" bullets may work, the payback isn't consistent enough for all the extra work involved. Many replies mention bullet shape and placement outweigh possible expansion from cast bullets.

But honestly, if one would like to find out if they really work for them, try some...

Winger Ed.
04-08-2021, 12:41 PM
If you're looking for more expansion, check into making hollow points, and the different levels of hardness for them.

They're a little more tedious and a little slower to produce than solids;
but not nearly as slow as the multi alloy boolits while trying to keep them even close to being the same weight.

Krag 1901
04-08-2021, 12:48 PM
Heck, why not just buy some Sierra 165 gr HPBTs and go hunting? Good accuracy and excellent performance. Is four hours of labor worth the $35 you'd save?

shell70634
04-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Sometimes it's just about the knowledge gained from experimenting and not the end result.

Shelly

Dusty Bannister
04-08-2021, 02:18 PM
If you're looking for more expansion, check into making hollow points, and the different levels of hardness for them.

They're a little more tedious and a little slower to produce than solids;
but not nearly as slow as the multi alloy boolits while trying to keep them even close to being the same weight.

If weight variations are a consideration, just cast a sufficient amount of the two alloy bullets and then weight sort into groups before you lube and size them.

I have to wonder if anyone will ever search and find this thread given the subject term "welded" bullet which is about the first time I have ever seen it in a thread.

Winger Ed.
04-08-2021, 03:15 PM
I have to wonder if anyone will ever search and find this thread given the subject term "welded" bullet which is about the first time I have ever seen it in a thread.

Yeah, I'd never heard the term before either.
That's why it sort of caught me eye. Plus, I really like following the trials and tribulations of the new kid..

I'd never discourage anyone doing research and experimentation.
However; sometimes ya just have to recognize a blind, dead end alley (for your own application) when ya see it.:bigsmyl2:

Duckiller
04-08-2021, 03:23 PM
I believe Bruce B did something similar. I did cast a few soft pointed bullets but California won't let me hunt with lead. Oregon is friendlier. Will load up the cast duo boolits if I can find them after the move settles out.

Wolfdog91
04-08-2021, 07:18 PM
Heck, why not just buy some Sierra 165 gr HPBTs and go hunting? Good accuracy and excellent performance. Is four hours of labor worth the $35 you'd save?

I mean..... I can't even find any in stock lol soooooo, and honestly if my time was that valuable to begin with I probably wouldn't bother casting anyhow

Wolfdog91
04-08-2021, 07:19 PM
Been down that road both with the 2 part bullet and the claimed velocity/accuracy. Also had numerous discussions with Von Gruff regarding such. As mentioned, you want to give it a try then go for it......good luck.

Is he a member here ?

Wolfdog91
04-08-2021, 07:20 PM
Sometimes it's just about the knowledge gained from experimenting and not the end result.

Shelly

Yeah that's basically me lol, I get bored pretty quick so things like this always peak my interest.

Wolfdog91
04-08-2021, 07:22 PM
If ya think it'll work for you, I'd encourage doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially for target shooting at paper.
For hunting: It looks like a lot of extra casting time, can introduce unwanted variables at worst,
and brings minimal gains for all the effort at best.

When I was still hunting, I didn't over think and split hairs over doing stuff like this.
I concentrated on accuracy, trigger control, shot placement, and was sure to 'bring enough gun' for what I was doing.

I'm kinda on the other side of the spectrum lol. Actually found this while looking up onfor about cast 6.5 grendel ,seems pretty cool especially for us casting out of an AR that requires a little more speed.

Winger Ed.
04-08-2021, 07:23 PM
honestly if my time was that valuable to begin with I probably wouldn't bother casting anyhow

Too funny.

It's all relative buddy: I've got a ex-wife that thinks I'm not smart enough to feed myself,
and my time is worth about 6 cents an hour-- for skilled labor.:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson
04-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Is he a member here ?

Haven't seen him post here for a long time. Probably went over to another forum.

Checked members list, still a member but last post was June of last year.

GregLaROCHE
04-08-2021, 08:53 PM
Yeah that's basically me lol, I get bored pretty quick so things like this always peak my interest.

If you’re getting bored with what you have, you need to buy some new calibers to cast for and shoot. Ever consider muzzle loaders?

JSnover
04-09-2021, 07:02 AM
The late Bruce B posted a great thread about this. Done correctly it works but is fairly tedious.
A good thing to know, I guess, but not really practical if you have other options.

Wayne Smith
04-09-2021, 08:15 AM
search the BruceB method - and you may have to use the way back machine to do it?

archeryrob
04-09-2021, 08:56 AM
A lot of guys have been shooting WW lead at deer for long time and many of them shooting it naked and lubed and slower. Maybe 1600. Read on someone pouring some SL in the tip, let it cool. Then pour HL over top and let it cool. Dip mold into pot until the sprue melts without tipping it. Lift out, don't jossle it and let it cool to be welded. Sounds like way too much work. Shooting a bullet with a big meplat will help more than that round target tip. Round tips are for targets and long distance shooting and FP bullets are for killing.

I am going to use some WW lead I have that registers about an 11 for me. I am planning on running them just under 2000 and powder coating to replace jacket and see how that hangs. If I don;t get any leading then I might try the water bottle and wet jeans for expansion test later this summer.

nekshot
04-09-2021, 08:57 AM
i spend considerable time with this method and various ways and techniques, I found 2 pots running very hot worked best for me. Now a little softer(i don't need more than 4) and flat nose and HP works for me.

Three44s
04-09-2021, 09:16 AM
Check this out:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?53157-BruceB-s-Cast-Softpoints-(as-of-MAY-2009)&highlight=Soft+nosed+cast+boolits

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Wolfdog91,

Enjoy and best regards!

Three44s

dverna
04-09-2021, 11:11 AM

Not the Gamekings (which is what I use) but still a good bullet...In stock and a decent price:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010483691?pid=741952&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=ammo-seek&utm_campaign=741952

I view casting of .30 cal. (or smaller) hunting bullets as a waste of time and resources. With a box of decent jacketed bullets you will get a sub 2 MOA load before using up about 50 bullets. The other 50 bullets will put deer on the table for another 5 years. A couple of three shot groups to check zero every year and a couple to hunt with.

BTW, I bought 5 boxes of the 165 GameKings about 8 years ago. Worked up loads for two .hunting rifles and have about 350 bullets left. A lifetime supply for less than $150. You will invest that in a mold, or molds, and components trying to find a cast .30 cal bullet that gives you 2500 fps with 2 MOA accuracy and a bit of expansion. (Bear in mind the current cost of powder and primers, and plan on 15-25 combinations of molds, alloys, lubes, bullet sizing, and loads to find something useable).

If you want to cast .30 bullets for target shooting go for it. It will teach you how tough it is achieve jacketed performance. I see a lot of posts using .308's with cast bullets at less than .30/30 levels for deer hunting. Negates the reason to use a .308 IMO.

And as Shelly posted sometimes it a search for experience.

Bottom line is you need to establish why you cast. If doing it for "fun", how much you spend is not that important. My opinions are based on my needs....I only cast to save money...it is a tedious and boring way to spend my time. When I hunt, I want the deck stacked in my favor, and cast bullets are a distant second place in the .30 calibers.

mdi
04-09-2021, 11:36 AM

Shelly
:goodpost: All knowledge is good and sometimes a feller jes wants to know...

onelight
04-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Didn't Lyman offer a 2 piece bullet that you cast in separate molds and glue together .
I never tried them figuring they would separate on impact . But similar idea .

barkerwc4362
04-09-2021, 09:10 PM
Yes, Lyman offered several two piece molds. I believe in 38, 44, and 45. The nose portion was to be cast of a soft allow and the rear of a harder alloy. The two portions were to be epoxied together. Several CBA members also published methods of producing soft nosed case bullets by either putting a small amount of solid pure lead in the nose of a hot mold and then filling the rest of the mold with a harder molten alloy or by pouring a small amount of molten pure lead into the nose of a hot mold followed by filling the mold with a harder molten alloy. At one time some one offered a bottom pour pot that had two sections. One was intended to contain pure lead for the nose, while the other would contain the harder alloy for the base. It was my understanding that the pot was designed to allow you to limit the pour of pure lead, so there would be consistency between bullets. This was gee 30 years ago. I think.
Bill

tmanbuckhunter
04-10-2021, 11:45 AM
Pole vaulting over a mouse turd. Standard cast bullets with a nice meplat have been killing game effectively for decades at this point. Neat idea, but is it worth the extra effort?

country gent
04-12-2021, 03:22 PM
Here is how I did it, 2 pots one 4 lber for nose alloy and 10 pounder to finish fill. Made a dedicated ladle of the volume for the nose, think powder dipper here.I cut the mouth at 20* or so so the low side was the limit and high side formed a spout. Attached a handle with insulator on it. Run both pots side by side. run 4 lb dipper pot on the warm side around 800* and the 10 lb in the 750*range. You have to move quick. Fill nose with the ladle and mive under the 10 lb and fill t a large sprue. Let sprue cool. when mould is up to temp you will only see the difference in color between the 2 alloys

country gent
04-12-2021, 03:31 PM
another route for cast bullet expansion is the old Paper Patched bullet. All soft lead with the paper jacket contacting the bore.

Mr_Sheesh
04-12-2021, 04:03 PM
On evilbay I've seen a lot of electronics related kits etc. from China etc. listed as "welding" instead of soldering so this was easy to figure out, for me, but at first I was trying to figure out how welding was supposed to be involved, LOL - Language can be hard until I have some caffeine onboard :)

GaryN
04-13-2021, 12:05 AM
another route for cast bullet expansion is the old Paper Patched bullet. All soft lead with the paper jacket contacting the bore.

This is what I'm eventually going to try if I want higher speeds with softer alloy. There's a lot of info in the paper patched section of this site.