PDA

View Full Version : what to do with lead shot

HVACscott
04-05-2021, 09:42 PM
A while back (20+ years) I bought lead shot for SCUBA weights. I don't dive anymore so how do I turn 25 LBs of pure lead shot into a cast able bullet alloy? I have been using wheel weights alloy and was hoping I could just add some to each batch, but how much to add or will that not work at all??? Don't really want to invest is alloying metals.

Any suggestions?

Scott

Budzilla 19
04-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Just a suggestion, post wtt in S and S section, to trade someone for a suitable amount of casting alloy. Shot is scarce right now, so trade it to someone for something you want and can use. Just asking, what size is the shot? That will help it go quicker if you do decide to trade someone. Good luck to you.

Winger Ed.
04-05-2021, 09:49 PM
Try to sell it first.

As shot-- its worth WAY more than ingot prices.

Back when Lead was bought by scrap yards for 9-10 cents a pound, and they sold it for 20-25 cents,,,,
even reclaimed range shot was $1.00 a pound and up---- if you could find it.

HVACscott
04-05-2021, 10:01 PM
Just a suggestion, post wtt in S and S section, to trade someone for a suitable amount of casting alloy. Shot is scarce right now, so trade it to someone for something you want and can use. Just asking, what size is the shot? That will help it go quicker if you do decide to trade someone. Good luck to you.

cant read the size on bag anymore its about 1/8" "Winchester American Standard" is all i can read

Winger Ed.
04-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Do a web search for 'shotgun shot size' or something like that.

You'll find charts that give the diameter for the different sizes.

rancher1913
04-05-2021, 10:11 PM
bring it out when you come and I will trade you some ww for it. friend needs to load some shotshells and he can put it to good use

going to pick up the compressor this weekend.

HVACscott
04-05-2021, 10:13 PM
bring it out when you come and i will trade you some ww for it. Friend needs to load some shotshells and he can put it to good use

going to pick up the compressor this weekend.

deal!

HVACscott
04-05-2021, 10:15 PM
Do a web search for 'shotgun shot size' or something like that.

You'll find charts that give the diameter for the different sizes.

The bag empty is selling for $2...the world has gone NUTS

Winger Ed.
04-05-2021, 10:25 PM
The bag empty is selling for $2...the world has gone NUTS

That fits.

Check out the prices for empty powder cans on ebay.

bruce381
04-06-2021, 12:56 AM

good idea or yes add a few lbs to each batch, I find it is dirty tho and needs to be fluxed.

rboeser
04-07-2021, 08:33 PM
Trading the shot for ingot sounds like the way to go.