PDA

View Full Version : New puppy coming home soon!!!

FarNorth45
04-04-2021, 09:47 PM
I'm so anxious!!!! One of these little heathens will be coming home with me in about 4 more weeks . They are Duetsch Drahthaar's . The owner will be picking the puppies to be placed where he feels they best fit in !! Mine will be a male puppy
I used to train/run labs in Ukc/Akc test . After my last lab pasted away i lost heart , quit training and quit hunting dogs !! But i've been missing it something terrible the last year or 2 ....... it's time to fill that empty spot so i bought a versatile gun dog this time !! Looking forward to training /running test in pointing , retrieving, tracking/blood trailing ..... most of all ready to spend some time with a true all around hunting buddy who is always ready to go !!!
OH YEAH !!! HIS NAME ??? .....QUIGLEY !!!!
280841 this is the Sire , also a great Mountain Lion/Coyote hunter

Huskerguy
04-04-2021, 10:27 PM
Awesome! A friend, many years ago had several Drahtaahrs and loved them. He mainly hunted pheasants and quail. I would love to have a dog after many years of working too hard and not having time to train one properly. I considered this breed and the Small Munsterlander. Love their disposition.

FarNorth45
04-04-2021, 10:50 PM
Thanks , yes training is a lot of work ..... very time consuming and these dogs are work alcoholics !!! The Munsterlanders are very nice dogs also ! I will be hunting a lot of ducks / grouse and rabbits with him . I also do a lot of longbow hunting for bears and such so it will be awesome to have a dog that can do it all . Through all my hunts , bears with longbows spot/ stalk and etc ..... the ones that stick out are the ones spent with a dog, Family and friends !!!!

BJK
04-04-2021, 11:05 PM
I know the feeling regarding losing a really good 4 footed hunting buddy. I haven't been the same regarding it since.

I wish you nothing but good times with your new buddy.

Why is the keyboard getting blurry?

osteodoc08
04-04-2021, 11:22 PM
Good looking dogs. Look like long haired GSP.

Here my dog Kota. She’s full of energy and loves the kids. She’s 10 months old. Had to staple her shoulder up this week where she caught it on a fence. Didn’t slow her down.
Here she is resting after chasing the kids around a few hours today

FarNorth45
04-04-2021, 11:58 PM
I know the feeling regarding losing a really good 4 footed hunting buddy. I haven't been the same regarding it since.

I wish you nothing but good times with your new buddy.

Why is the keyboard getting blurry?
Thanks !!!
I know loosing them is so tough , they are family !!! But i shared so many good memories , me and my oldest son had so many good hunts all together!!! My youngest was to young to actually shoot ducks so he would go with me and pop out of the blind with a toy gun lol ...... after i had to put my lab to rest i was selfish for many years and now that my son is 14 and never experienced this ? I should be monkey stomped !!!! You spend so much time with them that it gets hard to let go .... but now i realize the consequences of not looking back and just enjoying the time we had ..... and not letting my youngest experience that ! My youngest is excited now and its time to correct my mistake !!!!

FarNorth45
04-05-2021, 12:08 AM
Good looking dogs. Look like long haired GSP.

Here my dog Kota. She’s full of energy and loves the kids. She’s 10 months old. Had to staple her shoulder up this week where she caught it on a fence. Didn’t slow her down.
Here she is resting after chasing the kids around a few hours today
Thanks and she's a good looking pup !!!!
Yes a Duetsch Drahthaar is a Pure Bred German Wirehaired......... they are not German Wirehaired Pointers . They are still heavily tested and strictly regulated breeding program through Germany. After world war 2 they got brought over from Germany, people did not want to abide by the rules for breeding them . The Akc acknowledge the breed and as you know there are no strict guidelines in Akc and now they are not the same as the Original Duetsch Drahthaar's (German Wirehaire) ...... I'm in no way Bashing any breed , or a German Wirehaired Pointer but that is the difference between the 2 breeds .

Kota will be bringing you and your family lots of joy for years to come !!!! Will you be hunting her ?

Bull-Moose
04-05-2021, 12:09 AM
Awesome. Enjoy your new pet!

FarNorth45
04-05-2021, 12:22 AM
Thanks Bull-Moose !!!

bedbugbilly
04-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Congrats on the new "baby"! Beautiful pups - not familiar with the breed so found it all interesting! Beautiful dogs and those puppies sure are cuties. Good luck to you - has to be hard to wait but it will be worth it and so much fun taking in a new family member. Please post and let us know when he arrives . . and pictures please!

Winger Ed.
04-05-2021, 01:17 PM
Way cool.

Puppies work real hard to train you. So try not to be 'difficult'.:bigsmyl2:

LUCKYDAWG13
04-05-2021, 05:43 PM
congrats to you

jsizemore
04-05-2021, 06:18 PM
A bunch of European breeds (especially Germany) require a breed to be able to do what it's bred to do BEFORE it can go in the show ring. AKC only cares about looks and movement (structure). Few owners that show care about field or working trials and the working/hunting crowd could care less about the show ring.

FarNorth45
04-05-2021, 11:42 PM
Thanks Everyone!!!! I will keep it updated and hopefully before long i will at least know which one is going to be Quigley!!!!
There is Definitely good dogs in Akc , but even with running labs you have to be very picky and do some back tracing on ancestors if you want a good hunting buddy and not just a good house pet !!!!
Winger Ed , yeah it's funny as we get older a lot of us get softer ...... i know i have mellowed out at ton from when i was younger . Now I'm excited to get a pup , develop that bond and do a better job than i used to . There are better ways to do things than the way i used to do them !
Jsizemore ...... you nailed it !!! That's exactly the way it is !!! Golden Retrievers fall in that realm big time , I've had /trained some that was awesome but tried to train a beautiful champion show Golden Retriever for a lady and hunting just wasn't in his genetics anymore !!!

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2021, 03:40 PM
those are some cute pups!!!

Plate plinker
04-06-2021, 06:03 PM
Nice looking breed.

wv109323
04-06-2021, 07:47 PM
Is this the same as a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon?

John Wayne
04-06-2021, 09:14 PM
Quigley? What's wrong with John Wayne?

Glad you're getting a dog, you guys will be fast friends. Mine is snoring beside me right now.

FarNorth45
04-06-2021, 11:54 PM
Is this the same as a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon?

They have Griff in the blood line , they are not totally different..... Just a little more aggressive hunter and a higher drive for hunting . Wpg's (wirehaired pionting Griffon) is a great dog , my best friend has one and he is awesome!! I was on a list for one but the breeding didn't take supposedly. So i ended up going with a Drahthaar, Drahthaars was bred in Germany back in the early 1900's , they took several different breeds like Wpg's , short hairs and several others to make a ultimate versatile hunting dog and the End result is the Duetsch Drahthaar. They will hunt anything you desire lol

FarNorth45
04-06-2021, 11:59 PM
Quigley? What's wrong with John Wayne?

Glad you're getting a dog, you guys will be fast friends. Mine is snoring beside me right now.

Absolutely nothing !!! Lol ........ but he didn't have a goatee!!! Ha! Ha
They are great aren't they , always just happy and wanting to be a friend !!!

FarNorth45
04-07-2021, 12:01 AM
Thanks again everyone!!! Can't wait to finally get him and wake up to him chewing on everything!!! lol

Butzbach
04-07-2021, 08:47 AM
Kudos on the new pup. Reminds me of when I sold sporting goods in the mid 80s. We had VHS tapes for rent on various hunting and fishing topics. We got a laugh out of the one on training retrievers. It stressed the importance of the basic fetching instinct in the new pup. It concluded with "If your new puppy is not playing fetch by 6 or 8 weeks, . . . You may have bought a pet."

Good luck with your training.

10-x
04-07-2021, 02:53 PM
Im jealous, cant have a hound where I live now but plan on getting own place and get another Grey.

FarNorth45
04-09-2021, 12:01 AM
Thanks guys !!! and 10x i hope you are able to have a new pup soon !!!
Ok so now for the update!!!! I found out today which pup is mine . I told everyone his name would definitely be Quigley !!! Well with Deutsch Drahthaar puppies they have to be named and paper work sent in to Germany when they are born , because they have to have paper work back and ears tattooed with the registration number before they can leave that kennel. Not a big deal , you can still name them what you want , but i liked the papered name so much that I'm keeping it !!! So i introduce my new pup "Apachie " !!!!281020281021281022

Mr_Sheesh
04-09-2021, 02:09 AM
Definitely trouble on four paws, enjoy :)

10-x
04-09-2021, 08:07 AM
Looks like he will be a smart one. About 60 years ago an old black man that worked on our farm told me you can always tell a smart dog if there is a pointed “ lump” on his head. Every dog Ive had since with a lump has been smart. Anyone else heard of this?

Vegas Vince
04-09-2021, 09:32 AM
Great dogs! Enjoy him for many years. They are great companions. Mine is with me 24 / 7.

bluebird66
04-09-2021, 11:11 AM
Congratulations!

FarNorth45
04-10-2021, 10:27 PM
Thanks Everyone!!! He will definitely be going with me everywhere, well except work and if i could he would go there also !! Lol
10x i can neither confirm or dismiss the lump theory ? But i can say all my good smart dogs has had one , but i never noticed if a not so bright dog has had a lump lol .......

FarNorth45
04-17-2021, 04:56 AM
Apache is growing fast !!! Just 2 1/2 more weeks and i can pick him up !!!.......... sounds like forever lol281436

Lloyd Smale
04-17-2021, 04:59 AM
cute pup. our last choc lab had blue eyes when it was a pup too.

FarNorth45
04-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Thanks !!!!
Yeah , puppys eyes are blue when born . I just got new pictures today and Apache's eyes are starting to finally turn that golden/yellowish color !!! Man hes growing quick !!!

Shopdog
04-18-2021, 06:19 AM
Fine looking pup. Am sure you two are going to have some great adventures. My hunting partner(euro Dobe) is sleeping at my feet right now. Grab a rifle or a bow,and she starts bouncing straight up N down doing the classic,happy dance. Nothing better than a hunting dog!

ericp
04-18-2021, 02:22 PM
I love all the various Wirehaired pointers and have hunted over many. All are friendly companionable dogs and most are birdy as can be. A Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is sitting next to me in the truck as I write this, his name is Elo and he is the best pal I could ever ask for.

Eric

FarNorth45
04-19-2021, 12:44 AM
Fine looking pup. Am sure you two are going to have some great adventures. My hunting partner(euro Dobe) is sleeping at my feet right now. Grab a rifle or a bow,and she starts bouncing straight up N down doing the classic,happy dance. Nothing better than a hunting dog!

Thanks !!!
For sure , a good trained dog makes a great hunting buddy !!! They never grip , always just want to hunt and love every single minute of it !!!

FarNorth45
04-19-2021, 12:54 AM
I love all the various Wirehaired pointers and have hunted over many. All are friendly companionable dogs and most are birdy as can be. A Wirehaired Pointing Griffon is sitting next to me in the truck as I write this, his name is Elo and he is the best pal I could ever ask for.

Eric
I do too , my good friend has a Griff .... Auggie is his name and i love that dog to pieces!!!! He has such character and extremely hunt driven . They are definitely more of a bonding type dog and thrive off of affection. I was on a puppy waiting list for a serval months for a Griff, but then it fell through. The same night that happen i found this puppy, and everything has fell into place like it was meant to be all the way to being named already . I just new his name would be Quigley, but then found out his papered name was Apache? I ended up liking it better , i have a passion for hunting with longbows/flint knapping , also part Native American and he is a Hunter/tracker....... so it just seemed like the perfect name already Ha!ha
This is Auggie , everyday he brings my friends boots to him to go hunting...... or if his wife is in one of them moods , he will go get his boots so they can go out walking lol..... now that's a buddy ha!ha

FarNorth45
05-05-2021, 02:15 AM
Just a update : Little Apache has made it here to his forever home !!!! He is the cutest, sweetest puppy that you have ever met........ when he is sleeping!!!! When he is awake he is a demon spawn straight from the gates of hell and goes full raptor mode ha!ha . He has no fear , no quit and nothing is safe when he is awake !!! But i love him to pieces and he is probably the most intelligent pup i have ever owned !!! We have to go on Several hikes a day through the woods , or he gets bored!!! Today he did some tracking training with weeners , and got into some grouse in the woods . Grouse feathers stuck all over his nose ha!ha282451282452282453

Mr_Sheesh
05-05-2021, 03:46 AM
LOL yeah. I've been known to sidle up to parents and stage whisper to them, "You know you're outnumbered, right?" Man have I gotten some interesting responses, from wan smiles to sad head shakes...

Best one, I think, was the grandpa who grinned and said "I know, but I'm getting him a banana split and a chocolate shake, then taking him home to his parents." It was sorta an evil grin, too. Have to love critters, despite the carnage... (Or kidlets.)