PDA

View Full Version : 310 tool full length sizer

Black Jaque Janaviac
12-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Does Lyman make full length sizing dies for the 310 tool?

The dies set I have only neck sizes & I've got more than one gun in that caliber (.357) Not much point in having a pistol & lever action chambered in the same caliber if'n' the sizing die doesn't allow you to interchange the ammo.

mikenbarb
12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
They dont make any 310 dies anymore and you should check with the 310 Shop. Im sure he would have what your looking for. The 310 was meant to neck size because of the force needed to FL size in the field plus noone wants to carry case lube with it as an extra thing needed. They made what are called muzzle sizers and worked ok and also a double adjustable chamber.

ktw
12-29-2008, 08:25 PM
They did offer a "drive-in, drive out", full length sizing die to supplement the 310 tool neck sizer. This consists of a die and a rod that you use independently of a press. You hammer a case into the die, then back out again with the rod, similar to a Lee loader. People who have used these sometime recommend that you push the cases in and out in a vise or arbor press rather than with a hammer.

I have a couple of these kicking around. Don't mind sending/trading you one if I have one that fits a cartridge you can use.

These can be interesting if you are looking to complete a 310 set for collecting purposes. In practice its a whole lot easier to full length size in normal 7/8x14 dies on a press.

-ktw

Green Frog
12-30-2008, 11:35 AM
During the heyday of the small dies, Lyman did produce full length sizing dies for the straight sided pistol cases and a very few others but recommended them for use in the TruLine Jr press only, not in the 310 handles. As KTW mentioned, the other route involved use of a separate full length push die, and as he further explained, the best use of those was probably with an arbor press (or sideways in a good bench vise.) One real advantage of these was the lack of a shell holder, so you could size all the way to the rim, an extra cost option with the press mounted sizing dies. If you look on flea-Bay, the common sizes show up regularly, and I have been able to get some pretty exotic ones with longer searches.

HTH~Froggie

scrapcan
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
and to add to Green Frog's comments

They only reccomended the f-l sizers in the newer compound linkage version of the tru-line jr.

Go to the Antique reloading tool collectors association site and look under messages, then under idela tools for lots of 310 info or under 20th century tools and look for the truline jr thread. good info there.

And if you want a differen type of full length drive in tool you can look around for wilson full length sizers also.

TAWILDCATT
01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
yes they still make 310 dies.only fl sizers in pistol cal,the press is not made for full length rifle.they did not make neck sizers for pistol but fl.I have 5 truline and I use them for 32/380/9 mm.also 30/06.the dies are pricey compared to 7/8 dies.
:coffeecom [smilie=1:

Green Frog
01-05-2009, 09:29 AM
After extensive study and use of the 310 and TruLine Jr tools I can say without fear of contradiction that Lyman did make neck size only dies for their pistol sets. That is the only sizing die style that came with the 310 tool die sets. You can occasionally find a FL (full length die and so marked) for pistols, but in my experience these invariably came with die sets destined and marketed for the TruLine Jr, not the tong tool. Since the TL Jr is long discontinued and the tong tool seems to be on its last leg as well, the number of 310 die sets available has been cut back to virtually nil, and the only way to get a TL Jr set is used or from somebody's new/old stock. On the cool scale, they are very high, but if you are interested in price and convenience (and of course sheer speed of loading) you probably should look elsewhere. Of course I will be holding on to my 5-10 sets of handles, 15+ set of dies, half dozen TL Jr presses, etc, but that's just the way I am! [smilie=b:

Froggie