PDA

View Full Version : Lubing door hinges

dale2242
04-04-2021, 09:24 AM
The hinges on my 2016 Dodge Ram are constantly squeaking.
I have tried all kinds of lubes to get them to stop squeaking.
Most seem to last only a short time.
What should I use that will last a good while?

Minerat
04-04-2021, 10:41 AM
Try a synthetic oil or grease. I had a 77 Chevy van that had that problem. I'd give it's hinges a little squirt of Mobile one and that lasted longer then anything else.

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2021, 10:59 AM
More than likely it isn't the hinge pin that is squeaking but rather the roller on the spring that holds the door in the open position.

The hinge pins usually pass through bushings and generally a little 30 weight oil is all they need. But the roller that acts as a detent is steel on steel and once the bore in that roller wears a bit, the hole gets a little oblong instead of round. If you can force a little grease in the center of that roller and pivot point, you'll probably solve your squeaking. If you have one of the needle tips for a grease gun, that may work.

rancher1913
04-04-2021, 11:09 AM
try replacing the pin and bushings, they are probably wore out.

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2021, 11:52 AM
A lot of the new hinges don't have replaceable bushings like the old hinges. You have to replace the entire hinge.

Mal Paso
04-04-2021, 12:19 PM
Motor Cycle Chain Lube is grease with a solvent. It penetrates, then the solvent evaporates leaving just grease.

Might last longer than oil.

waksupi
04-04-2021, 12:35 PM
I use Ed's Red. Seem to work as well as anything else.

country gent
04-04-2021, 12:59 PM
Those high tension hinges were originally lubed with white lead, but thats been removed from use as a hazardous material. Motor mica graphite or molybdenum disulfide in a light oil carrier might be a better choice now. Another might be a little bullet lube worked around the joint and melted in with a heat gun

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2021, 03:10 PM
Going back to my prior post #3

Often the squeaking is not from the hinge pin but rather from the roller that acts as a detent to hold the door in the open position (there's usually two steps, partially open and fully open). It's the roller that squeaks, not the pivot points for the hinge.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-04-2021, 03:15 PM
My Chevy Truck door hinge/spring/rollers have a habitual squeek also. I put a couple squirts of recycled tranny fluid on the entire area. It seems the squeek goes away for about a year.

rancher1913
04-04-2021, 03:16 PM
A lot of the new hinges don't have replaceable bushings like the old hinges. You have to replace the entire hinge.

you are partly right. it takes a little mechanical skill but nothing serious. grind off the bottom of the pin, its folded over like a rivet, knock pin out and replace with a new set.

Petrol & Powder
04-04-2021, 03:30 PM
you are partly right. it takes a little mechanical skill but nothing serious. grind off the bottom of the pin, its folded over like a rivet, knock pin out and replace with a new set.

Yeah, I know how to do it.
But if I have to pull the hinges off, grind the tail of the "pin" off and swage a new one in its place; I might as well replace the entire hinge.
In today's world the hinges are readily available and not that expensive. Plus, If you're charging a hourly rate in addition to the parts, it's probably cheaper to just replace the entire hinge.

Back when you could drive the pin out, drive the bushings out, put new bushings in and replace the pin - it was cheaper to repair the hinge. (I've done it and on some cars you could even do it with the hinge in place if you unbolted the door from the hinge). Today, it's cheaper to just replace the entire hinge.

metricmonkeywrench
04-04-2021, 03:34 PM
Mine were doing the same, after taking the truck in to get some deer strike damage fixed, some kind soul at the body shop sprayed them down with some white goo.. made a bit of a mess but been squeak free fo over 2 years.

Brasso
04-04-2021, 03:40 PM
I use spray White Lithium Grease on mine.

M-Tecs
04-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Did mine with this about 5 years ago. https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/collections/lubricants-and-cleaners/products/4-oz-bottle-of-phil-tenacious-oil Hasn't made a sound since.

It's what I use and AR bolt carriers.

Hossfly
04-04-2021, 03:49 PM
Silicone grease. From NAPA sil-glide i think is the name very stiff and stays put. Small tube.

Winger Ed.
04-04-2021, 03:52 PM
Motor Cycle Chain Lube is grease with a solvent. .

That's one of my favorite, go-to lubricants. It does a good job, and sticks like poop on a baby blanket.
Spray it on, let it soak a minute, then wipe off the overspray with a paper towel.

fixit
04-04-2021, 08:06 PM
The best product for hinges and mechanisms I've found is something called MY T grease. It is an aerosol lube that sprays on liquid, but quickly turns to a gel. It stays where you spray it, and it's good for freeing up frozen mechanisms, particularly tailgate latch mechanisms, which are notorious for not working on older trucks! It works very well for silencing hinges, especially household types. I have squeeky hinges in my house that haven't made noise for years after using it. Not always, but more often than not

Mk42gunner
04-04-2021, 09:12 PM
I use spray White Lithium Grease on mine.

That is what I use. Seems to work as well as motorcycle chain lube.

If you do have to replace the door hinges; be prepared, automotive doors are heavy and awkward. Adjusting them isn't a lot of fun either.

Robert

sigep1764
04-04-2021, 09:35 PM
White Lithium grease is what they are lubed with from the factory. It is available for 5 bucks at Napa.

jim147
04-04-2021, 09:57 PM
White lead. I haven't had any of that in 20 years. Used to use it for my dead centers on the lathe.

gwpercle
04-05-2021, 12:39 PM
I had a can of spray on motorcycle chain lube ... it sprayed on , foamed and penetrated into small spaces then in a few minutes turned into a light grease that stayed in place and didn't evaporate or wash off .
Worked great on door hinges , much better than WD40 , which doesn't last a long time ...too thin .
I don't remember the brand ... but that was 40 years ago and probably not around any longer ... just look for something that says foaming chain lube like Technichem 303 Lube.
Gary