PDA

View Full Version : S&W m-66 problems

tommag
12-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I have a friend who has a m-66 with problems releasing the cylinder. The problem is at the front of the ejector rod. There are no burrs, and the center of the rod doesn't go far enough forward to dis-engage the catch from the front. I took it apart and cleaned everything, hoping it was just a build up of crud, but that didn't fix it.

Update: A light touch of a file on the front of the ejector-rod housing fixed it up like new.
Thanks

scrapcan
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
You might consider taking it down and check closely for dirt gunk etc and make sure that things are not bent. It soundsto me like it is loose or bent. It is pretty easy to tie up a smith if the ejector rod housing get loose and or bent.

Also you might spend a few hours at the smith and wesson forum you will find all you need to know in the gunsmithing section.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/

txbirdman
12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I had that problem with my Model 19. Sometimes the ejector rod unscrews itself and will cause such a problem but with mine the ejector rod was not moving forward enough to disengage the front lock-up. The ejector rod shroud ( or whatever it's called) had to be shortened slightly.

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Remember that it is a left hand thread!

HeavyMetal
12-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I suspect the ejector rod is a bit short.

However you did not mention removing the locking bolt at the end of the shroud.

It's a simple pin that get driven out and you have a spring and the "locking" plunger. If a bit of dried grease or oil is in there it won't compress all the way and unlock.

I will suggest cleaning that first and maybe polish it a little bit? As well as polish and check the "chamfer" on the nose of the ejector rod. Some times a little more bevel is alll it takes to get these to open and close right!

Also do the check for unthreaded ejector rod as well!

The S&W site was also a good suggestion!

AZ Pete
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Be sure to have some spent cases in the cylinder when you tighten, or loosen the ejector rod. That will save you a world of grief.

shotman
12-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Also check the 2 little line up holes that are in the shell ejector plate . Push ejector up and feel under the bottom for burrs around the holes. I got a NEW 629 that had not been shot. That way. rick

billyb
01-01-2009, 02:12 AM
I had the same problem, unable to open the cylinder, the ejector rod had worked loose on mine. Bill

cajun shooter
01-01-2009, 11:45 AM
AS stated above USE FIRED CASES IN CYLINDER when fooling with the rod. If not you shear the alingment pins on extractor.