PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 86

Loudenboomer
12-29-2008, 03:56 PM
I've got a miroku winchester 86. Does any one else out there have a problem with a light main spring strike? Wolffe has done a good job of curing this problem for me in the past but does not make an extra power main spring for this model. Large pistol primers are softer and seem to help. They are what I use for low pressure cast Boolet loads. Any Ideas to really fix the problem?
Kevin

Heavy lead
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Had two, a lightweight and a takedown, both too light hit. I heard it was the tang safety, which Winchester, Miroku, Browning, whomever should be shot for. Anyway I had read an artlicle in a older Rifle magazine somewhere where these could be removed and the hammer fall could be restored, but my memory fails me as to exactly how this works, maybe someone else that still has the magazine can chime in here. They are a very nice rifle though.

The Nyack Kid
12-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Memory fails me too , as to what the parts are called and the date of the magazine article ..... However my 1886 ex-lite japchester had the problem and it was an easy fix . It had to do with one of the "fingers" on the rebounding hammer "lever" being too long .The finger that is too long ( there are two of them an upper and a lower) pushes the hammer away from the firing-pin . by filing it down the hammer rests closer to the firing-pin . It was a bigger pain getting the gun apart than it was solving the issue . Much easier to explain with the gun sitting here than trying to name and explain parts that some-blasted-idiot-deemed-needed. The best fix is to cut the finger off and replace the hammer with a half-cock hammer . I can live with the tang safty , but the rebounding hammer is anouther story ( and that story uses more cuss words than other words)

Cimarron Red
12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Here's a link to a site that contains the information on eliminating the rebounding effect on Miroku leverguns. Scroll down to the How-To section and then to item number ten. There you'll find four links dealing with Miroku leverguns mods.

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.com/

KCSO
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I have had to modify EVERY rebounding hammer Winchester that has come in to me. On my personal guns I was lucky enough to have spare parts for a Browning and was able to swap out for old style parts. I would love to have an 86 take down but it galls me too much to spen $1500 for a gun that needs fixing out of the box.

Loudenboomer
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for showing me the sticky Red. The lower hammer strut is comin off! This should put my 86 back into service. I kind of lost confidence in the gun. It mis fired twice on a big 10 pt. white tail buck a couple of years ago. Was a lite strike in the summer but ok intil I got into the woods and freezing temps. Then No Go. The good news That Buck got one year bigger as I did harvest him the following season. I was shooting my 30-06 this time. He was running full tilt quartering away when a 165 grainer behind the last rib did him in. Nearly a 21" inside spread.:smile: Next year it's back to Boolits in the 86.
Thanks again
Kevin

Cimarron Red
12-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Loudenboomer,

You're most welcome. I'm sure that will fix your problem.

muskeg13
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Be careful about using pistol primers in your '86, or in any rifle with a tube magazine if you can help it. I had six round go off in a '92 magazine, and sensitive pistol primers may have contributed.

Loudenboomer
01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey Guy's. I just tore down the 86 and trimmed The lower leg of the hammer strut as per instructions on the sticky. While I had it apart I decided to cut 1 coil from the main spring (because of reduced drag from the lower strut). I've only fired a few rounds out the garage door into the -20 temps but the modification seems to work perfectly. I'm happier than a pig in you know what:)

Cimarron Red
01-03-2009, 02:28 AM
OK, Loudenboomer. Now it's time to enjoy that rifle!

Just Duke
01-03-2009, 06:25 AM
I am going to have to do this to my guns also.

tgs989
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Cimarron Red,You Are The Man!I always leave this forum with more Knowledge of something. Thanks to all. I am going to do this to my new 86 Win.Pistol Grip TD.Its A Gun that I have been saving for for a long,long time!I also bought a new stock and forearm for it but it turns out that I cant see no diff. in the new stock/forearm VS the one that came with the new rifle.Now I have an extra set. Any one interested let me know. Thanks again every one who puts there "two cents worth In"!-Tim

Cimarron Red
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey, Tim,

I'm glad the information will be of help to you. I've converted three Winchester/Miroku lever guns, and I'm pleased with the results.

Just Duke
04-26-2009, 03:48 AM
Mine all came out great!