PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning lead from your barrels

bluejay75
04-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Greetings,

Life is about learning. I thought I could treat my cast shooters like I treat all of my rifles. Shoot them until accuracy degrades then clean them. Bad choice. Some of my barrels had 1500-4000 shots on them and I just noticed they started to throw shots. Proven loads would put a round 10-12 inches out of the group. Been doing it for a couple years now and I just decided to look down the barrel. 3 lands were completely fused together and the thrown shots were skidding.

So I set about cleaning them. Hardest work I have done on firearms since I started. Tried everything... chore boy, 45 nickel scrubber, solvents Iosso paste and a solid weeks worth of elbow grease. Just to get to the tops of the lands.

Best was the tornado brush to break the tops. Then the lead cleaning cloth of a bronze brush to start down the grooves then a little at a time it started coming out.

My advice is not to let them get there. What has your experiences been for heavily leaded barrels?

JB

stubshaft
04-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Chore Boy over a bronze brush and Kroil has never failed me yet. I've managed to clean some "sewer pipe" looking bores with it.

onelight
04-02-2021, 03:18 PM
I have not tried any of the chemical methods . Other than regular gun cleaners and solvents.
A ,Lewis Lead remover is the best mechanical way to get lead out I have found then a bit distant is chore boy and then way distant cleaning brushes.
You have paid your dues , I know a lot here don't but I clean after every range trip. If I am getting leading I want to know and deal with it early.

bluejay75
04-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Two barrels had a smear from the chamber to the bore. I could see my progression in casting in the layers almost. It was a mix or carbon, copper, lead and uncured powder coat. I got the majority either out or started enough to bang it out the rest of the way with jacketed bullets followed by more cleaning. Lesson learned.

Win94ae
04-02-2021, 04:04 PM
If you have thousands of rounds down the barrel, and can't see the grooves, you have a big job ahead of you. You'll just have to keep at it until you are clean; I did the same thing you did, just not so extensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdYzdT8pkk

It took about 11 days of cleaning to get the bore squeaky clean.

Then I had to foul it to get it shooting tight groups again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43RdrWjsTYc

Good luck!

Dom
04-02-2021, 09:39 PM
I guess they don't make it any more. I have an Outers Foul Out. Plug the chamber end with the provided rubber plugs. put the insulated stainless rod down the barrel . pour the Outers liquid in the bore. Hook up the electrodes , plug in, turn on. Come back in about an hour to a shinny, squeaky clean bore. Bought this outfit about 30 yrs ago. Still works perfect for removing copper or lead.

Froogal
04-03-2021, 09:24 AM
Stuff the barrel with paper shop towels. Pour you favorite gun cleaner into the barrel until it drips out the end and then let it sit for a day or two. It will still take some scrubbing.

waco
04-03-2021, 09:37 AM
Chore Boy over a bronze brush and Kroil has never failed me yet. I've managed to clean some "sewer pipe" looking bores with it.

This along with JB Bore Compound.

WardT
04-03-2021, 09:47 AM
use 100% copper chore boy, not copper plated steel

EMC45
04-03-2021, 10:38 AM
This along with JB Bore Compound.
I've smeared J-B on a 0000 steel wool wrapped ratty old cleaning brush and gotten some old milsurp gun bores looking really good.

waksupi
04-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Shooting a few low velocity loads cleans a barrel well.

mdi
04-03-2021, 12:11 PM
I normally soak in Kroil overnight. Then the next day scrub with a Lewis Lead Remover and solvent. Also, I added some ammonia (tried both sudsy and plain) janitorial strength to my gun solvent which seems to help a bit. But, I'm one of those that clean my guns often, many times the same day as the shoot, and I believe in prevention (most of my cast bullets shoot clean)...

Warning about the peroxide/vinegar solution; don't allow it to soak in the barrel for more than a few minutes. I have a Dan Wesson 44 H that has small pits in the barrel because I left the solution in the barrel for about 6 hours. Lead is turned into lead acetate and can be pretty bad on humans. Vinegar will attack bluing also...

oley55
04-03-2021, 12:30 PM
kroil left to soak will seep under the edges and allow the chore-boy to grab and break pieces of lead off the edges, and just keep soaking and coming back to it. Bronze wool also works (available from most woodworking and marine suppliers), since the solid copper chore boy is becoming more difficult to find. there is a lot of copper washed steel scrub pads out there that are not good for any barrel, so double check with a magnet before use. I ran into that several years ago, so I stocked-up with a couple packages of the real Chore-Boy. if u can’t fine chore-boy give the bronze wool a try, it is available in various wire sizes (coarse to fine).

Shuz
04-03-2021, 12:46 PM
If I get leading in .44 mag handguns or rifles, I just shoot 5 or 6 gas checked boolits with a magnum charge of WC820, H-110/296 or 2400. Bores so far have come out squeaky clean. My cast rifles do not seem to lead up because I use gas checks on my loads of 1600 to 1800fps. If accuracy starts to go south a little, I'll run a brass brush soaked in Ed' Red down the bore, followed by a couple of cloth patches and then I'll take a worn brass brush and wind thin strips of lead free cloth around it and make a couple of passes down the bore, taking the jag off when it passes thru the muzzel. After a few fouling shots, accuracy usually returns.

oley55
04-03-2021, 01:00 PM
If I get leading in .44 mag handguns or rifles, I just shoot 5 or 6 gas checked boolits with a magnum charge of WC820, H-110/296 or 2400. Bores so far have come out squeaky clean. My cast rifles do not seem to lead up because I use gas checks on my loads of 1600 to 1800fps. If accuracy starts to go south a little, I'll run a brass brush soaked in Ed' Red down the bore, followed by a couple of cloth patches and then I'll take a worn brass brush and wind thin strips of lead free cloth around it and make a couple of passes down the bore, taking the jag off when it passes thru the muzzel. After a few fouling shots, accuracy usually returns.

I can not prove it as the cause, but in the early to mid 80’s I’d sometimes shoot the lead out of my Redhawk and it developed some really fine barrel cracks. Ruger replaced it without comment, but I still wonder if firing jacketed rounds over the leading didn’t contribute to the barrel cracks by inducing some swelling of the barrel as the rounds passed over the lead. Not saying that contributed or not, but I don’t "shoot the lead out" anymore.

edited for word cleanup after initial smartphone post.

PBaholic
04-03-2021, 01:06 PM
I used to have a leading problem, even bought Lewis Lead removers. Soaking for long periods of time with Hoppes #9, and brass brushing worked eventually.

Then I saw the light, and started Powder Coating. Zero leading issues now, and I hardly have to even clean my guns anymore.

crackers
04-03-2021, 01:20 PM
https://www.amazon.com/PRODUCTS-123101-Bronze-Medium-3-Pads/dp/B0000AXS0U/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bronze+wool&qid=1617470246&sr=8-6

Don't pull it apart - use a scissor and wrap it around a swab. Wrapping anything around a brush simply places it inside the bristles.

poppy42
04-03-2021, 01:39 PM
50% hydrogen peroxide, 50% household vinegar for 10 minutes! Caution!!!! don’t soak the barrel! plug one end and carefully fill the barrels with a solution. I don’t know for sure as I’ve never taken a chance, but I’ve been told it can ruin the bluing! I’ve used it from everything to a severely leaded barrel to an old lead pot. I’ve even gone so far as to put a cast bullet in the solution and let it sit there for about an hour. Just to see what would happen . After that time the object no longer resemble a boolet! I have posted this recipe before and received many a cautionary warning. Cautions warning of toxic fumes, destroying finishes etc. I certainly don’t recommend it for a streak of lead here in there. All I can say is it is worked for me. Do your research, and use at your own risk. Hope this helps.
Poppy42

onelight
04-03-2021, 01:49 PM
I appreciate you posting your formula poppy42 I also appreciate the warnings , all good info.

Bird
04-03-2021, 02:03 PM
The Outers Foul Out is the best method of lead removal I have. If I did not have one, I would make my own version.

bluejay75
04-03-2021, 02:28 PM

The biggest part of my problem. I run PB boolits all out. I have GC molds but rarely use them.

bluejay75
04-03-2021, 02:42 PM
Jacketed bullets shot the lead out of two of them this morning. They cleaned up like new. The other I’m going to disassemble plug and try the peroxide and vinegar. I tried vinegar alone and it did bring out some brown sludge.

poppy42
04-03-2021, 02:53 PM
Jacketed bullets shot the lead out of two of them this morning. They cleaned up like new. The other I’m going to disassemble plug and try the peroxide and vinegar. I tried vinegar alone and it did bring out some brown sludge.

I wants to use the solution to clean a 20 year old Lee 4 pound lead pot. My first lead pot it had never really been cleaned. After 10 minutes with the solution in it I was amazed. I did a little more than flush it with lots of fresh water and wipe it out. That was three years ago the pot still works fine. That’s when I decided to put a cast bullet in it and leave it in there for quite a while just to see what would happen. That’s when I decided to soak a Cast Boolets in The solution. You still might have to run a bronze cleaning brush through a couple of times. Maybe even repeat this song. Depending on how bad the leading is. Anyway good luck

whisler
04-03-2021, 07:28 PM
Check the toxicity of lead acetate and its ease of absorption through the skin before you consider using peroxide/vinegar. Then you also have to dispose of a toxic material. I was a chemist with lots of industrial experience with toxic chemicals and I wouldn't do it in a home environment, just to avoid a bit of scrubbing with Kroil and Chore-boy. But to each his own risk assessment. Good luck.

gwpercle
04-03-2021, 08:47 PM
50% hydrogen peroxide, 50% household vinegar for 10 minutes! Caution!!!! don’t soak the barrel! plug one end and carefully fill the barrels with a solution. I don’t know for sure as I’ve never taken a chance, but I’ve been told it can ruin the bluing! I’ve used it from everything to a severely leaded barrel to an old lead pot. I’ve even gone so far as to put a cast bullet in the solution and let it sit there for about an hour. Just to see what would happen . After that time the object no longer resemble a boolet! I have posted this recipe before and received many a cautionary warning. Cautions warning of toxic fumes, destroying finishes etc. I certainly don’t recommend it for a streak of lead here in there. All I can say is it is worked for me. Do your research, and use at your own risk. Hope this helps.
Poppy42

REMOVES Blue finish like it was made to do it .

Martin Luber
04-03-2021, 08:58 PM
Check the toxicity of lead acetate and its ease of absorption through the skin before you consider using peroxide/vinegar. Then you also have to dispose of a toxic material. I was a chemist with lots of industrial experience with toxic chemicals and I wouldn't do it in a home environment, just to avoid a bit of scrubbing with Kroil and Chore-boy. But to each his own risk assessment. Good luck.

That's why I got rid of the Foul Out unit and the solution l had. Kroil is magic in rifles. In a short Pistol barrel you can firebrush it.

mikequaintance
04-03-2021, 09:16 PM
Greetings,

Life is about learning. I thought I could treat my cast shooters like I treat all of my rifles. Shoot them until accuracy degrades then clean them. Bad choice. Some of my barrels had 1500-4000 shots on them and I just noticed they started to throw shots. Proven loads would put a round 10-12 inches out of the group. Been doing it for a couple years now and I just decided to look down the barrel. 3 lands were completely fused together and the thrown shots were skidding.

So I set about cleaning them. Hardest work I have done on firearms since I started. Tried everything... chore boy, 45 nickel scrubber, solvents Iosso paste and a solid weeks worth of elbow grease. Just to get to the tops of the lands.

Best was the tornado brush to break the tops. Then the lead cleaning cloth of a bronze brush to start down the grooves then a little at a time it started coming out.

My advice is not to let them get there. What has your experiences been for heavily leaded barrels?

JBBalistoil and water mix and a good brush usually handles it nicely. In the event that it doesn't I add a little bronze wool to the brush and give it a few passes and the problem is solved.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

poppy42
04-03-2021, 09:28 PM
REMOVES Blue finish like it was made to do it .

That’s what I’ve heard. That’s why i’ve been extremely careful the few times I’ve had to use it!

bluejay75
04-03-2021, 10:05 PM
Masked, gloved and eyepro'd
Put a bowl that I lube brass in in the toilet.
Plugged the barrel with a torn piece of paper towel. It held.
Mixed the vinegar and peroxide in an empty dawn bottle. Fine tipped spout.
Filled the barrel up and placed the muzzle in the bowl. Put on a 10 minute timer.
Pushed it all out into the toilet and went directly to the bathtub to rinse it out.
First round took out about half.
Now Im in round 2. Will keep this updated. The rest of the barrel is spotless. Clean like factory new. The muzzle is still a little caked.

44Blam
04-04-2021, 01:39 AM
I had an 8mm Mauser that I leaded the hell out of after just a couple shots. With a bore scope, in places you couldn't see the lands.

It took 3 sessions of grinding away the lead with a copper choreboy covered brass brush to get it all out. I could see that I was making progress, but it took some effort...

I also shot some 10mm rounds in a pistol that lead ever so slightly. Typically I can shoot about 50 with no real problem, but I have to choreboy it to get the barrel clean. I've stopped making those in favor for a GC version of the round.

M-Tecs
04-04-2021, 01:43 AM
This has worked well for me. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1014881110?pid=588466&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Gun+Cleaning&utm_content=588466&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting+-+Gun+Cleaning-_-Sharp+Shoot+R-_-588466&msclkid=263bc28462fd1d989d06a2ed332abedf&utm_term=1101100736089

Ed_Shot
04-04-2021, 07:41 AM
I have not tried any of the chemical methods . Other than regular gun cleaners and solvents.
A ,Lewis Lead remover is the best mechanical way to get lead out I have found then a bit distant is chore boy and then way distant cleaning brushes.
You have paid your dues , I know a lot here don't but I clean after every range trip. If I am getting leading I want to know and deal with it early.

I could not agree more

remy3424
04-04-2021, 08:47 AM
Blue, are you saying, 1,500 to 4,000 shots fired from a single barrel without cleaning? Maybe it just me but, I would seldom go a tenth of the low end, without a good cleaning. This would be an entire new thread (discussion), but it that normal maintenance with many shooters (lead or jacketed)...that shoot much? 1500-4000 shots, not sure if that is months or years of shooting...years for me.

bluejay75
04-04-2021, 09:23 AM
I have been treating all of my firearms in the same manner for years. Shoot them until accuracy degrades then give them a thorough cleaning then start that process again. I was not paying attention to the signs of accuracy degradation and blamed it on the load. My reloading skills got better and helped me overcome the degrading accuracy of my cast shooters. I bought new brushes, carbon rods, rod guides and solvents this time around and will start to look from the other direction. Will thoroughly clean, foul then develop loads. Zero and do it again at the end of hunting season. Lesson learned.

Burnt Fingers
04-04-2021, 11:54 AM
The Dip, hydrogen peroxide/vinegar or mercury are the two best.

I really wish I still had that quart jar of mercury I had when I was a kid.

I never let the dip sit for more than a couple of minutes. It can and will pit a barrel.

BTW, I use 10% vinegar and H2O2 in mine formula.

bluejay75
04-04-2021, 12:41 PM
The Dip, hydrogen peroxide/vinegar or mercury are the two best.

I really wish I still had that quart jar of mercury I had when I was a kid.

I never let the dip sit for more than a couple of minutes. It can and will pit a barrel.

BTW, I use 10% vinegar and H2O2 in mine formula.

Why 10%. I have a biology degree and this has me thinking in terms of molarity and strength of the solution.

bluejay75
04-04-2021, 01:39 PM
It might not be lead. After two cycles of 50:50 vinegar: peroxide the barrel is noticeably cleaner but there are still streaks of black granular looking stuff that won’t come out. I plugged the barrel and filled with Hoppes 9. Warmed the barrel first on a recommendation of a gunsmith friend. Will keep you posted if this works.

ak_milsurp
04-04-2021, 02:13 PM
I guess they don't make it any more. I have an Outers Foul Out. Plug the chamber end with the provided rubber plugs. put the insulated stainless rod down the barrel . pour the Outers liquid in the bore. Hook up the electrodes , plug in, turn on. Come back in about an hour to a shinny, squeaky clean bore. Bought this outfit about 30 yrs ago. Still works perfect for removing copper or lead.Agreed! Still have mine, but can't seem to find the copper removing solution in Alaska. It ships as hazmat....bummer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
04-04-2021, 11:58 PM
Agreed! Still have mine, but can't seem to find the copper removing solution in Alaska. It ships as hazmat....bummer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Look down this page for home mix formula. http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarNorth45
04-05-2021, 12:35 AM
This 100%...... makes life way easier lol

Burnt Fingers
04-05-2021, 12:29 PM
Why 10%. I have a biology degree and this has me thinking in terms of molarity and strength of the solution.

Because I have both just sitting there waiting to be used. Also it cleans the lead out VERY quickly.

bluejay75
04-05-2021, 02:14 PM
I would say Im about halfway. Nothing has worked yet. I think its a mix of stuff. Now when I use a nylon brush and solvent every hour or so black runs out of the barrel. Its getting there though.

waksupi
04-06-2021, 11:54 AM
The best cure for a leaded barrel is finding a bullet that is the proper diameter, and a good lube.

bluejay75
04-07-2021, 06:45 PM
Shot it some more and this is day two of running a copper brush with Hoppes #9 and letting it sit overnight then repeat. Finally breaking free. Today, I could finally see the bottom of the groove. There are still some gray streaks that look like the bottom of the ocean in the middle of the grooves. But the lands are showing sharp pronounced edges. It shot an inch the last time I shot it though. Thanks for the tips. But as usual...the old remedies still work. With a little elbow grease.

David2011
04-09-2021, 02:37 AM
Your next challenge is to determine why you got so much leading. I have only shot cast boolits in handguns; no rifle experience but I’ve shot tens of thousands of rounds with only minimal leading and that was infrequently. My competition pistol has only needed a couple of passes with a brush every 500-1000 rounds for the last 40,000 rounds. I clean the frame and slide frequently but cleaning the barrel is “least concern.”