PDA

View Full Version : How complicated/detailed can swaged bullets be?

Dick Dastardly
12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I have good reason to ask, how much detail (Lube groves etc.) can swaged bullets have vs. cast bullets?

Dick Dastardly

felix
12-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Zero detail, other than smooth ogive. With a moving jaw die, it's possible to implant minor grooves like typically seen. ... felix

deltaenterprizes
12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Depends on the skill of the diemaker and how much money you have to spend.

turbo1889
12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
My basic understanding is that you can do lengthwise grooves like a rifled shotgun slug but can't do body bands like a mold. Basically molds can have body bands but not lengthwise grooves and vica-versa for swagging.

That's the only reason I'm interested in swagging -- me want to make rifled shotgun slugs.

deltaenterprizes
12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
And the point of rifling on a shotgun slug is? They are like tits on a bull useless.

turbo1889
12-31-2008, 01:32 AM
And the point of rifling on a shotgun slug is? They are like tits on a bull useless.

I'm not trying to get into a forum word war with you, deltaenterprizes, but as I have previously posted in refrence to this issue:

Nice drawings but rifling a slug does nothing but look impressive. With a bullet the rifling is engraved onto the bullet,that is why they make rifled shotgun barrels. If rifled slugs worked there would be no need for them. A rifled choke works well also.

Yes, I am well aware of the fact that engraving rifling into a slug does not make it spin in flight -- this is why I simplified the design by using straight rifling instead. This rifling does, however, serve a very important purpose which is far more important then looking impressive, in that it allows a solid slug be made full bore diameter for maximum accuracy and still be safely fired in a choked gun because the thin rifling ridges just flatten out with the slug hits the choke when used in a choked gun. Longitudinal rifling serves this purpose better then lead body bands and works with swaging while body bands work with molding. . . .

Buckshot
12-31-2008, 02:11 AM
http://www.fototime.com/F35C6824AA814F3/standard.jpg

.............A simple swage die will make a boolit about as complicated as these :-) Optional complications easily handled are a hollow base of various confgurations, and/or a HP nose. Other then that a simple swage die will only eject a slug with lube grooves if a slug with lube grooves (filled with lube) was sent into it, as these below.

http://www.fototime.com/DC4CBD73B8E232A/standard.jpg

These had a HB added.

...............Buckshot

turbo1889
12-31-2008, 02:21 AM
In addition I do believe swagging is the only way to make a bullet that is both hollow base and hollow point at the same time -- no way you can pull that off with a mold (how would you get the lead inside?).