PDA

View Full Version : An economy build

northmn
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/002-2.jpg
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/003-1.jpg

I built this one just before hunting season. Used a birch stock I cut off my own place (maple was not available) and a $5.00 barrel from a single shot breech loader I picked up at a gun show. Estimate about $100 in whole gun.

Northmn

Mike Brooks
12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Bad link dude.....

northmn
12-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Got the camera for Christmas and learning to post pictures. Got a lot to learn.

Northmn

missionary5155
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Good afternoon Sounds like a great price to me ! If it shoots right then it it a treasure !
God bless you this coming year !

Lucky Joe
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Well now that is pretty cool.

Happy New Year

waksupi
12-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey! The lock is on the wrong side!

Underclocked
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Not a bad looking rifle at all. Is it southpaw or did you reverse the pics? ;)

I would blacken/blue that forearm escutcheon er whutever ya cawlit. :)

Mike Brooks
12-29-2008, 05:27 PM
AHHH, now I see! Great looking gun., you've obviously built a few of these in the past. That is probably the best piece of birch I've seen. I built a couple guns from birch years ago, I like it.

Razor
12-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Fine looking gun..
12 ga. ??

piwo
12-29-2008, 07:26 PM
She's a beaut Clark.. er, I mean Northmn.. :-D

Seriously, that is a beautiful piece. I build em too, but have no talent. Oh, they go boom every time and I've dropped more then a few animals with them, but they're not as pretty......

Congrats on a great project!

reivertom
12-29-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice gun! Isn't it great to take nothing and make something good out of it? I think some of my most satisfying things have been like this and not just tinkering on guns.

home in oz
12-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Very nice!

Smoothbore? Could not see any sights?

Well Done!

waksupi
12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
I would blacken/blue that forearm escutcheon er whutever ya cawlit. :)

Naw, that is made from a snoose can, that Dan'l Boone carried west with him. It's SUPPOSED to be shiney!

northmn
12-30-2008, 08:22 AM
The lock is on the correct side, its the other 80% of you folks that want it on the wrong side. Its a lefty. The barrel was a 12 ga off of a single shot breechloader (I had to buy the action W/O stock and forened included) Bore is pristine but one side had a little more gun case rust than I would have liked. The front Escutions are German Silver and the nosecap is poured tin solder. I had a bunch of stuff laying around from my building about 15 years ago. The lock I got for a song as it was pretty cobbled up. I had to buy a new plate and frizzen. I had an underrib or it would have been fullstock. Got got the butplate at a gun show for about a dollar (it was off an old hammer double or ML likely) and the trigger guard was laying around. The barrel was 2 3/4 chamber at 32 inches. I cut it back and made a Nock styled breechplug to fill in about 1 1/2 inches of chamber. Also reamed out some of the choke as it shot tighter than heck. Chose the late English flint style due to that. Call it English inspired as it is not a copy of a true English gun. It was fun to build, which is what making them is about. Its resting on its sister stock blank. May make a rifle out of it, have the parts (they cost considerabley more) but haven't decided yet.

Northmn

Underclocked
12-30-2008, 11:04 AM
waksupi, u mite b crazier'n me. ;)

Sven
12-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Very nice, Northmn. Great looking piece of birch. You must have had it kiln dried? Thanks for the explanation on the build.

northmn
12-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Drying it is another story. I rushed it a little more than I could have. There is a recipe for fast drying wood in the Traditional Bowyers Bible. I cut it in March and let it air dry for a month, put it in an old car I need to have hauled away for awhile and then in a hotbox I made. I started the build in July and put it back in the box a couple of times as I wasn't sure it was dry. Toward the last it was put in the box because it gained moisture from the outside. It was sort of kiln dried just at home. A few folks told me it wouldn't work. It did.

Northmn

Charlie Sometimes
01-29-2009, 09:51 PM
That's a good looking pieice-together.
I'll bet that was REALLY FUN- I enjoy stuff like that, but it's been a few years since I've had time to do it.
Work always seem to get in the way.

northmn
01-30-2009, 06:35 AM
My father died recently at 85 years. When he was in the assisted living home he called me to task for not going fishing. Said before I knew it I would be like him and not able to go. Work gets in the way of all the important stuff. I now try to take dad's advice.

Northmn

Topper
02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
That is a very nice piece of work.

Hang Fire
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Bad link dude.....

Hey Mike, see you have posted here on the Boolit forum before, but first time I caught one. Glad to see you here and know sharing your knowledge will be a welcome addition to the muzzleloading and BPCR sections.

Sure many already know of Mike, but to those who may not, Mike is a premier builder of traditional muzzleloaders and his creations are a pleasure to behold.

Hang Fire (TANSTAAFL)

piwo
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/002-2.jpg
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/003-1.jpg

I built this one just before hunting season. Used a birch stock I cut off my own place (maple was not available) and a $5.00 barrel from a single shot breech loader I picked up at a gun show. Estimate about $100 in whole gun.

Northmn

You guys with talent piss me off... LOL :drinks: Instead of building guns that represent the 1700's, mine look like surviving relics from the 1700's................ :cry:

cajun shooter
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Northmn, That's one nice looking firearm. If you decide to build another and are not sure of the wood and what moisture it contains go to a large paint store. Most of them have moisture meters that they use to see if block walls and such are dry enough to apply coatings. I see no reason why this would not work on wood also.

northmn
02-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Building that gun has been an inspiration. It has inspired me to buy more components. Considering that an entry thimble costs maybe $6.00, I can say I didn't even come close to making wages on making one of those. Did not have the jig to make one and making that added tot he time. Building is a hobby and you really don't want to count your time, but sometimes it gets a little ridiculous. I am working on a 58 English styled fintlock now and it is more of an assembly than this one was. Will have it built sooner also. The little things add up admittedly.

Northmn