PDA

View Full Version : Mod-38 S&W airweight bodyguard

chickenstripe
12-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Recently ran upon a model 38 Smith & Wesson airweight bodyguard. The price was good, and it appeared to be unfired, but man was that thing loose. The lockup when the trigger was pulled (after single-action cocking), and the hammer held back, was something that I've never experienced before, short of an old Iver Johnson 32 short. I'd guess 1/16" rotation from side to side. The "lockup" in question is cylinder rotation, everything else seemed up to par.

The Smith was a mid eighties mfg.

Is this typical for these guns, or am I checking the lock-up incorrectly?

I was interested in it, but turned off by the "looseness". Also, ist appeared that there was a "divot" in the top strap, abover the cylinder gap. It looked something like a casting imperfection.

Is this thing a paperweight, or typical for this gun or style?

old goat
12-29-2008, 02:34 PM
...To check for correct lock-up of a revolver, pull the trigger and hold it to the rear. While holding the trigger fully back, check for rotational play. This is the position of the cylinder when the revolver fires, and is what is important.

...old goat

kingstrider
12-29-2008, 02:35 PM
A little movement is normal but that much sounds excessive to me. I have the same gun as well as a custom ordered Airweight 317 and there shouldn't be any funny business with a well-fitted revolver. All wheel guns will exhibit erosion to the underside of the top strap if fired enough, this is caused by hot gases and particles abrading the metal there. Just one of the things to look for when buying used and I would speculate the gun in question might have been assembled using parts from different guns. Sounds like your gut instinct was to pass and I'd have done the same.
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/bodyguard1a.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/kingstrider/3175a.jpg

August
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Sounds like it is well-used, if not used up. I would have passed on it. On the other hand, it may just need a new bolt. What did the cylinder notches look like????

missionary5155
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Good afternoon And the slot in the frame where the bolt passes up through to engage the cylinder may be oversized. Have you ever watched the idiots spin the cylinder fast and flick it shut .

leadeye
12-29-2008, 03:42 PM
I have a Model 38 that locks up solid. I would check the bolt also to see how far it is coming up to engage the cylinder cuts. Sometimes gunk can keep the bolt from rising completly in which case a good cleaning after taking it apart will cure the problem. The general condition of this area will tip of a problem as well.

chickenstripe
12-29-2008, 04:25 PM
The part that engages the cylinder cuts is called the bolt? I was unsure of the term or I would have added additional information about this part.

The bolt appeared to move when I tried to rotate the cylinder when it was "locked-up". Movement isn't exactly the best way to describe it, it kinda rotated or flopped a few degrees from side to side.

Nothing seemed used, It appeared as though it was unfired. No cyliner ring, no carbon above the barrel on the top strap. No casing impressions in the frame. It didn't look as though it was refinished, unless they did one heck of a good job....

I did pass on it...... just curious if this was typical, and apparently it is not.

thanks for the replies

Bret4207
12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I have one. Mine locks up quite tight even though it's well used. Mine has a "divot" above the cylinder mouth too, as do my M-19 and M-28. I was always told it was from the hot gases escaping the cylinder.

STP22
12-29-2008, 07:10 PM
I carry a M49 most times with +P ammo. I try to refresh the 20rd box each year by shooting the earlier 20 rounds, and it ain`t no fun.

I can see the Airweight showing those symptoms if it was fed a steady diet of the same.:shock:

August
12-29-2008, 07:20 PM
The part that engages the cylinder cuts is called the bolt? I was unsure of the term or I would have added additional information about this part.

The bolt appeared to move when I tried to rotate the cylinder when it was "locked-up". Movement isn't exactly the best way to describe it, it kinda rotated or flopped a few degrees from side to side.

Nothing seemed used, It appeared as though it was unfired. No cyliner ring, no carbon above the barrel on the top strap. No casing impressions in the frame. It didn't look as though it was refinished, unless they did one heck of a good job....

I did pass on it...... just curious if this was typical, and apparently it is not.

thanks for the replies

Well, from what you say, I'd guess a quick trip back to Smith & Wesson would have it in tip-top shape.

HATCH
12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I have a 638 bodyguard. Prelock. Don't know the YOM, but I have had it for about 10 years or so.
It shots great, lockup is perfect.
I Also have a 317 but unlike the above pictured one, mine has fixed sites.
I own a 640 as well.
The 638 is nice as it is lightwieght, however because of this it is a bear to shoot due to recoil.

I trained my 21 YO niece to shoot pistol recently.
I started out with the 317. She loved it. Then swapped over to the 638. She didn't like the recoil at all. I swapped over to the 640. She loves the 640 compared to the 638.

Now back to the 638 in question.
If it was a good deal and the frame wasn't scretched, I would buy it and send it back to Smith. I bet they would fix it for free.

crabo
12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Anyone know where to get a set of grips like Kingstrider has on his gun in the lower picture? He told me they came from the factory on the gun. I would like to find a set of grips for my 642 that has the top of the backstrap filled.

Thanks,