PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder rotation problem. Taurus 607 44 mag ported.

Madman O Anderson
04-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Hello everybody.

So, a few months ago I bought a used Taurus 607 (Tracker) in 44 mag. Really clean looking, paid through the nose for a used gun in todays market.

Problem. When using it single action, sometimes if fails to rotate the cylinder to the next round. It's not every rotation, but often it seems to be this one cylinder. But not reliably that one.

Take the plate of and clean and oil it?

I've heard that Taurus isn't banging repairs out as fast as we'd like. And I am guessing that it'll cost way to much.

Thanks everyone!

Sorry if this is a repost, but search isn't working right for me.

Dusty Bannister
04-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Fired primers dragging on the recoil plate? Or does it do it with unfired and fully seated primers?

onelight
04-01-2021, 04:51 PM
If it's the same chamber every time I would think it would be a problem on the star on the back of the cylinder .
I am no gunsmith but can't think of any thing else that would cause that assuming you are able to get the hammer to full cock every time. I have seen revolvers that were not fully indexed when I heard the sear set and had to have the hammer pulled past the sear click to get the cylinder to lock.
I look forward to seeing more knowledgeable responses .

04-01-2021, 05:01 PM
Either the star, or the hand, needs to be replaced. Larry Potterfield at MidwayUsa.com has a nice video of himself doing a S&W.

The parts have to be fit correctly, not simply installed.

Madman O Anderson
04-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys! I'll check the star. And a couple of other things.

I am a new reloader, so I'm really checking the primers. I also checked that the cartridge was fully inserted.

Thanks again. I am off to the lab!

charlie b
04-05-2021, 12:28 AM
Don't know if it applies or not.

I had a 605 in .357Mag (it's the little 5 shot snubbie). After shooting a box of 125gn magnums it also locked up. I was kinda stumped. I ended up taking off the side plate. One of the screws inside had worked loose, jamming the mechanism. Don't remember which one. I tightened it back up, but, another 50 rounds and it happened again. That time I used some red locktite on it. Did not come loose again :)