PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

TexasAg11
03-31-2021, 08:06 PM
Hi folks!

Long time thread-stalker and finally decided to make it legit and join the fun.

Ive been mainly a Bowhunter (texas) but recently have been getting into handgun hunting. Haven’t bagged anything with the pistola yet but should have some more opportunities this year. BFR 454 w/ ultra dot, G20 10mm w/ red dot, and super Blackhawk 45 colt are currently in the arsenal.

Found out pretty early on that the ol’ casull is probably going to be a 45 colt +p gun for me. Great gun and tames the +p loads easily and accurately. In this setup my Primary hunting load is the Underwood 250 XTP @1300fps. 20-25 yard shots most likely.

I am having some issues finding standard pressure 45 ammo though (aren’t we all). Was thinking about getting into reloading for the 45 colt so that I could at least practice more often and shoot the ruger more. Found a lot of reloads on gunbroker but that seems like a good way to lose some fingers. Would love to hear some thoughts on that though.

Anyways, I am excited to get into this sport and get going.... lots to learn!

-Mat

RedlegEd
03-31-2021, 09:03 PM
Hi Mat,
Welcome to Cast Boolits. I think you'll find the .45 Colt is a wonderful cartridge to reload, and just like the old, venerable .45-70, you can load it mild to wild as you wish. As you probably already know, ammunition, especially .45 Colt, is very hard to find, and when you do find it, it's crazy expensive. Casting your own bullets and reloading are certainly a great way to reduce the costs. The bad news is that you, and everyone else, who have decided to start reloading are getting into it at the worst possible time. Components and equipment are incredibly scarce and difficult to obtain. Unfortunately, the lack of availability has put even more pressure on the supply chain and there are many who will snatch up any available primers or powder simply because it's there. The truly wretched ones will try to flip them for ridiculous amounts of money, and many times they succeed because novices don't know better. To your question/comment about buying reloads from GB, I whole-heartedly agree that it is a bad idea. If you can find remanufactured (i.e. reloaded ammo,) make sure you buy it from a reputable source. Almost all experienced reloaders will not shoot someone else's reloads, rather, they'll break them down for the components. Use the search function on the site for load data, and keep your eyes open on the "Swappin and Sellin'' thread for .45 Colt cases. When they show up, they sell very fast. I wish you luck in your new adventure. Again, welcome.
Ed

BigAlofPa.
03-31-2021, 09:27 PM
Welcome Matt. Good to have you on board.

Der Gebirgsjager
03-31-2021, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the Cast Boolits Forum, Matt. You'll find lots of casting and reloading information here, and we're always glad to have another member. Texas! We've got so many Texans here that you should probably have your own sub-forum!

It's kind of widely accepted in the reloading and shooting world that you should just about never shoot someone else's reloads. Maybe the next door neighbor's if you go over to his garage and watch him do the reloading, but you're always taking a chance shooting the product of an unknown reloader. Hate to lose you so soon......

DG

gbrown
03-31-2021, 11:41 PM
Welcome, sir. Glad to have you on board. Great place to be and learn. I have no experience with 45 LC or Casull. My goto is 45ACP. Good luck with your endeavor.

David2011
04-01-2021, 01:44 AM
Hi and welcome!

smithnframe
04-01-2021, 05:58 AM
Welcome from Shiner!

bedbugbilly
04-01-2021, 10:30 AM
Welcome Mat - lots of good people and information on this site - you'll enjoy it.

jakharath
04-01-2021, 11:05 AM
Welcome from Aggieland!

LenH
04-01-2021, 02:44 PM
Welcome Mat great to have you. I cut my teeth on .45 Colt some 50 years ago and I have 3 in my arsenal. I cast 6 or 7 different bullets for said .45 Colts.

A friend came over one day and asked if I wanted to go with him and his dad to shoot some hand guns. We got to where he was setting up and Mr Sonny
handed me a Ruger Blackhawk and a box of his reloads and told me not to loose his brass. Those 50 rounds started a love affair of that cartridge. Mr. Sonny
taught me to reload and gave me a bit of knowledge on casting my own.

bluebird66
04-01-2021, 05:16 PM
Howdy!

pworley1
04-01-2021, 05:28 PM
Welcome, It is best to only shoot your own loads.

Markopolo
04-01-2021, 05:35 PM
welcome sir... and nice to see you have elected to also join Team Boolits.... well done sir!

TexasAg11
04-01-2021, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys! Looking forward to learning from the wealth of experience on here.