PDA

View Full Version : Wyoming Armory

Boz330
12-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Any of you guys from WY or MT know anything about these folks? Is this the old Ballard Company?
I want to have the Ballard I picked up Christmas Eve gone over and get the extraction problem fixed. Thanks.

Bob

Don McDowell
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
As I understand it, those guys are the ones that decided they didn't want to move to michigan, when the folks that took over Ballard pulled up stakes and left.
I'ld imagine they'ld be a good bet to get that old rifle a good goings over.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Don has it pretty much right.

Ballard dont make ballards anymore? Guns they are showing at the Shows, Ie SHOT and Safari Club, are all Highwalls in DGR calibers, Keith Kellby is honco at the WYO Armory, and is one hell of a good guy when it comes to these old rifles.

Kenny the Lunger

Boz330
12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys. The rifle is headed that way today, getting boxed up as soon as I get off the puter.

Bob

Kudu
01-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Keith Kilby and a partner are operating Wyoming Armory. I have visited their shop and they are set up well to do most any restoration, rebarrel, stockmaking, bluing, caseharding, building, etc. on vintage rifles as well as modern single shots, leverguns, bolt actions etc.
Keith is an excellent craftsman and I would trust any project to him.
Rich

BPCR Bill
01-16-2009, 01:33 PM
The "New" Ballard shop relocated to Michigan has turned into a place for the wealthy, discerning sporting gentleman to shop. I cobbled together an original Ballard action into a Schuetzen rifle, .22LR, and inquired at the New Ballard about getting a DST block assembly for it. I had reviewd the "Price List" for parts and thought it a bit on the expensive side, but doable. After speaking to one of the guys in the shop, I was told that the parts prices listed are for rough castings. They would have to fit everything to my rifle, machine and mill, as well as case color everything. The cost would be in the neighborhood of $1200.00. That is one thousand two hundred. Needles to say, it ain't gonna happen. I need to chat with Keith about this now. Granted, a DST would be great for offhand shooting, but for that kind of money this rifle will shoot just fine off the bench.

Regards,
Bill

Boz330
01-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Waiting to here back from them on my rifle. They were going to try and round up some parts. I would like to have it back yesterday but in reality I won't be able to work with it for at least a month or so. I have something to shoot so it isn't a necessity at this point, other than trying out a new to me toy.

Bob

BrentD
01-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Wyoming Armory is a bunch of the old Ballard Rifles folks. Keith Kilby, Earl Hines, Steve Garbe and probably a few others. They are building a highwall for me right now.

I forgot to add, I believe they are selling many highwall and Ballard parts (but not actions as a rule).

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/westerner_photo/Butte20080291024x768.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s277/westerner_photo/Butte20080181024x768-1.jpg

Boz330
01-23-2009, 10:22 AM
GEEEESSSSHHH, no wonder it is taking so long to get my Ballard done, there working on your stuff.:kidding:
That is going to be a very nice looking rifle when finished.
My shootin buddy is building a Hiwall from one of the Frontier Armory castings right now. He is really having fun.[smilie=b: He is a perfectionest so it will be a peice of art when finished though. He does some really exceptional wood work and has lots of air dried curly maple he makes stocks from. I wish I had the patience.

Bob

BrentD
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey that ain't mine. It is the one (or ten) ahead of mine.

Brent

Boz330
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Hey that ain't mine. It is the one (or ten) ahead of mine.

Brent

:groner: You could have gone all weekend with out saying that. That is the problem when you want the best to do work for you.

Bob

6pt-sika
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Alright all this is news to me .

So then when and if I scrape up enough money for a nice new Ballard Schuetzen in the Schoyen style it'll be coming from Michigan instead of Wyoming ?

Boz330
01-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes sir!

BrentD
01-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Alright all this is news to me .

So then when and if I scrape up enough money for a nice new Ballard Schuetzen in the Schoyen style it'll be coming from Michigan instead of Wyoming ?

Doesn't have to. Wyoming Armory in Cody will be happy to build it for you. All they will need is a donor action - which, in my case, they happened to have on hand.

Brent

6pt-sika
01-24-2009, 12:14 AM
I looked an Ballards website and they don't even have a price any longer for the Ballard Schoyen schuetzen rifle !

When you gotta ask about the price that ain't exactly a good sign :?

Boz330
01-24-2009, 01:10 PM
They aren't cheap on anything they make. Makes my C-Sharps Hiwall look like a real bargain.

Bob

mtolson
04-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Keith and John worked for Ballards until the move. They are EXCELLENT gunsmiths on old Winchesters and Ballards. John is probably the best gun builder I've met. They are currently working on 3 of my guns. I'm very lucky to have this shop right in my hometown.

missionary5155
04-24-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey mtolson WELCOME !!!!
Good to have "Eyes On " the shop here with us. Why not set a live feedback to your house and keep us posted who´s Ballard is getting treatment today...
Mike in Peru

Kenny Wasserburger
04-24-2009, 03:37 PM
6 Point Sika,

Ballard Does not make ballards anymore! LOL thats why they dont list them.

Highwalls now and mostly DGR rifle calibers.

They have turned their backs on the BPCR shooters.

Get ahold of WY armory See if they can scrounge up an action for you.

The Lunger

John F.
04-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi, folks,

Sounds like they might be a great resource. Do they have a website, by any chance? Or if not, how does one contact them?

Thanks,
John

BrentD
04-24-2009, 10:58 PM
John,
They do not have a website but you can reach Keith Kilby at kkilby@wyomingarmory.com

I can find an address and phone on Monday if you can wait that long.

Brent

Don McDowell
04-24-2009, 11:31 PM
http://www.wyomingarmory.com/

BrentD
04-25-2009, 06:42 AM
Bout time they got caught up to the 21st century. Thanks Don.
Brent

zampilot
04-25-2009, 08:41 AM
One question: what is a DGR rifle?
Thanks

Don McDowell
04-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Brent I just wish Cody wasn't so dang far out in the middle of nowhere.........

DGR=Dangerous Game Rifle

BrentD
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
What's the middle of nowhere about Cody? Seems to me it's more or less the center of everything interesting to me about Wyoming. I just wish I wasn't out here in the middle of nowhere.

Them boys need to get a lot more up to speed on their webpage now. Of course, since I just got my new rifle from them, I don't much have to worry if they spend time webbing instead of smithing... :)

Brent

Don McDowell
04-25-2009, 09:56 AM
400 mile drive mostly 2 lane blacktop, constitutes middle of nowhere IMHO. lol

Was wondering which you'ld rather have them doing, working on the website, or finishing your rifle?????
Figured you'ld be shooting Ackley today

BrentD
04-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Well, thunder, lightning, and the creek done rose. So no match. Cancelled to avoid frying folk on the hill. I'll head out to the shop in a minute and get to work on that barrel.

Brent

Don McDowell
04-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Think it's gonna be one of those years. We got about 3 inches of gloppy snow and it's still coming. Was 85 day before yesterday, and looking at the forecast, carharts, slickers and 5 buckles might be good things to pack for Alliance next week.