PDA

View Full Version : Help with Swedish sniper M41b

soflarick
03-31-2021, 09:45 AM
A few years ago I purchased an M41b through a vendor that got all the remaining examples from Samco. The scope mount and base numbers are not matching. The scope mount does not slide completely to the recoil stop, and I'm not going to force it. I used Kroil and a rubber mallet to gently tap the scope and mount off the base, and found no corrosion or grit. The mount slides on properly, then gets really tight in the last 1/4". The handle that cams the mount into place won't budge the mount, and I'm not going to force it. I was hoping someone can instruct me on how to proceed with getting the mount properly secured on the base.

I assume a serial matched mount and base were mated during machining and installation, so I may have to lap the parts to get them to properly fit? Is/are there fasteners I need to tighten or adjust?

I've only tinkered with it as far as I stated in the first paragraph. I'd like to begin enjoying it at the range, but I need to fix this issue first.

Stewbaby
03-31-2021, 08:41 PM
Correct, it’s a taper fit and they were hand fitted and not intended to be swapped around so you’ll have to remove some material from one of the pieces till they meet correctly. The lever is just for breaking the scope off the recoil stop (from tightening caused by recoil) so you don’t want to really use it to tighten the fit too much. Good luck.

PS: I think Dutchman is on this site so maybe PM him. He’s the Swede expert.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210401/dd9d566b8e959021bd274eea82cac8a1.jpg

john.k
04-01-2021, 07:44 AM
get some rifflers and die sinkers files,some engineers marking blue,and work the high spots down gradually until the parts fit exactly...do not use loose abrasive.

soflarick
04-01-2021, 08:10 AM
Got plenty of dykem, so I'll start with that. I have different grits of clover abrasive, but realized that would be a mess and get in everything. The scope mount already shows the shiny spots that may need addressing. I'll be sure to go sslllooow. May not be matching number parts, but they are still expensive original parts.

Thanks for the help.

Ernest
04-01-2021, 10:58 PM
i am sooooo jealous! what a treasure!

samari46
04-02-2021, 12:34 AM
Check out some of the larger machine shop supply houses as they should have a good selection of mold and die stones. And the previously mentioned die sinkers and rifflers or mold maker files. Not cheap anymore but definitely what you'll need to take out the high spots. Manhattan Supply Corp is a good one to start looking. And Travers tool another. Frank

soflarick
04-02-2021, 07:54 AM
Will do. Thanks.

Just for giggles, I checked around for original matching (mine's not matching) examples with intact scope cover and scope box, etc, and they're fetching 5k and more. Local shop has an original Enfield sniper on the wall as a show piece. Will not part with it, but I couldn't afford it. Nice that I can see an original in person, though.

Dutchman
04-11-2021, 05:45 PM
Hands-on is the only way to deal with this one. Nothing I can do for you.

Dutch