PDA

View Full Version : Old style dot sights.

Waisting lead
03-30-2021, 06:45 PM
I was left a curious piece of optics when my dad passed recently.
It's a "dot" sight that uses a prism to project a dot on the lens. And it works with ambient light.
Has anyone ever seen one of these before?

NyFirefighter357
03-30-2021, 07:10 PM
Is it a Weaver Qwik Point? I have one for Remington 1100/870 & one for a rifle. Uses a primitive fiber optic to glow. I have used mine a few times just to see how it worked. Some are very clear and others cloudy.

https://youtu.be/nKn-jx6d2aY

pietro
03-30-2021, 08:12 PM

Hard to tell, if it's unbranded, and no pics.

Red Dot reflex sights, even the early Opima 2000, use a battery - as does the Accupoint.

It could also be a:

Armson OEG

Meprolight

Trijicon ACOG

Weaver Quick Point

Texas by God
03-30-2021, 09:59 PM
I was left a curious piece of optics when my dad passed recently.
It's a "dot" sight that uses a prism to project a dot on the lens. And it works with ambient light.
Has anyone ever seen one of these before?Daisy made a simple adjustable one that used reflected daylight to project a red dot on the plastic lens. It actually worked ok for the 5 dollars or so that it cost. It was all plastic except for the adjustment screws.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Waisting lead
03-31-2021, 12:47 AM
This one is steel, brass and glass. It's brand name is nydar ,model #47.
There is nothing cheaply made about it. It still has the leather carrying case.

winelover
03-31-2021, 06:46 AM
Armson OEG's mounted on a Remington 1100 and a RH.................they don't require batteries. Operate off ambient light and a tritium (radioactive) element.

Winelover

DougGuy
03-31-2021, 07:49 AM
This one is steel, brass and glass. It's brand name is nydar ,model #47.
There is nothing cheaply made about it. It still has the leather carrying case.

Found a few good hits on google for your Nydar sight, looks like the one in the article uses a base which yours does not have, I suppose they made different bases for different applications.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/nydar-reflex-sight/

Bobbers
05-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Daisy made a simple adjustable one that used reflected daylight to project a red dot on the plastic lens. It actually worked ok for the 5 dollars or so that it cost. It was all plastic except for the adjustment screws.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I have a couple of the Daisy ones. They do work well. Only draw back is the sticker that is the dot fell off.