PDA

View Full Version : Any Dog Whisperers out there?

lksmith
03-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Hey ya'll, I have an 18month old Rottie pup. He's the sweetest dog there is with people (especially loves my 2yr old daughter), but he sometimes has issues with other dogs. But apparently only when I'm around. My BIL's Lab was staying with us for a few months and they got along well, until I took them somewhere else. Last time I took them to my parent's they got into it and when I grabbed him he got ahold of the lab's leg and dislocated it. This morning, I went to get him from the neighbor's house whose cane corso he's been playing with for the last few months, sometimes over here sometimes over there, he jumped on him when I went to pet him (I usually pet him before we leave). Fortunately the cane corso is EXTREMELY laid back and didn't really fight back. I'd hate to think what would've happened if I'd have to break up a full on fight between two +100# dogs.
For the record, all are intact males and altering is out of the question. I plan on Studding out my rottie once he gets mature and I think they are going to stud out their dog too

Thoughts?

remy3424
03-30-2021, 12:32 PM
I would think twice about studding a dog with that temperament. Once he bites someone, "alterations" will not be one of the decisions you get to make. With a rott and their reputation, guessing there are not second chances.

waksupi
03-30-2021, 12:53 PM
The pound here is full of Rottweilers and pitbulls. No one wants them.

jsizemore
03-30-2021, 01:00 PM
He needs to learn when it's the right and wrong time to bite. A good Schutzhund club will teach the basics for the dog AND you. The correction seems severe but does teach who is in charge. A 3-4 year old Rottweiler dog can be a handful. You don't want to have to have him put down because he mauled Fifi or a small child. Keep that in mind when you do the correction.

lksmith
03-30-2021, 01:28 PM
I would think twice about studding a dog with that temperament. Once he bites someone, "alterations" will not be one of the decisions you get to make. With a rott and their reputation, guessing there are not second chances.

No disrespect meant, but apparently you know nothing about the breed. His breed is not a problem, and he has the best temperament with people, he loves everyone. Never met a stranger
I am asking for help with him getting along with dogs. Again, with people anywhere and when at home with other dogs he is about as dangerous as an AR15 in a safe

lksmith
03-30-2021, 01:32 PM
The pound here is full of Rottweilers and pitbulls. No one wants them.

He's the 4th rottie I've had, and never had this problem before.
All the ones I've had and all the ones at the breeder I got him from are just big ol teddy bears

ryanmattes
03-30-2021, 02:09 PM
Rotts and pitts are both lovable, gentle dogs with people. They also both have a tendency to be animal aggressive.

It's possible to train that out of them, but it's well beyond my limited experience in training animals. Especially once they are 2+ years old. I believe the general way to temper that behavior is to expose them to a lot of other animals from the time they're very young, and even that doesn't always work.

I have 2 half pit / half aussie shepherds that are sisters from he same litter, and they're aggressive to anything smaller than a human (but not to humans) that comes into the yard. The only saving grace is that one of them has a really strong mothering instinct, so anything in the house she perceives as a baby she tries to mother. We got both of our cats as babies, and she mothered and bathed them both, and now she's fine with them. But bring in an outside cat and she's aggressive.

I wish I had a better answer, but both breeds have small animal hunting buried in their genes, so getting them to let that go is a bigger task than I can handle.

Photos below of Etta "protecting" the new kitten from the older cat. She just can't help it. Every time the kitten would run off to hide she'd go grab him by the scruff and carry him back where he was "supposed" to be.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210330/14defbff18b9dc606fb7cc7fbf492e82.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210330/c9a3d0c69897ebddfd83bcd6f7993369.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jsizemore
03-30-2021, 03:28 PM
I assume his trouble is with male dogs. When you show up, he feels the need to protect his position in his pack. When you showed the other dog attention, he takes exception to it. He can't get angry with you so he takes it out on the other dog. Dog denotes male, bitch female. If he bites a bitch or pup, he's just crazy. At 18 months he's not even fully mature for his breed. He may feel the need to move up in his pack the closer he gets to around age 3. Then he may challenge you if you you don't maintain your position as the male leader. He most likely has no problems with the females of your household. Does he take toys off on his own or does he like to share with you? Or a combo of the 2? Sharing is good. Not sharing and cranky about it is a problem in the future. If he shares his toys, reinforce you going through the door first, and put yourself between him and the other male dog if you decide to praise the other dog. Make sure your dog is on lead before you do and praise the heck out of him before you touch the other dog.

MrWolf
03-30-2021, 03:41 PM
That is good advice ^^^. It is very important to some dogs where they stand in the pecking order. Good luck
Ron

03-30-2021, 06:25 PM
Trying to be humorous, but accurate:

You would not pet your neighbor’s wife with you wife standing there.....don’t pet other dogs with your dog around.

lksmith
03-30-2021, 07:41 PM
I assume his trouble is with male dogs. When you show up, he feels the need to protect his position in his pack. When you showed the other dog attention, he takes exception to it. He can't get angry with you so he takes it out on the other dog. Dog denotes male, bitch female. If he bites a bitch or pup, he's just crazy. At 18 months he's not even fully mature for his breed. He may feel the need to move up in his pack the closer he gets to around age 3. Then he may challenge you if you you don't maintain your position as the male leader. He most likely has no problems with the females of your household. Does he take toys off on his own or does he like to share with you? Or a combo of the 2? Sharing is good. Not sharing and cranky about it is a problem in the future. If he shares his toys, reinforce you going through the door first, and put yourself between him and the other male dog if you decide to praise the other dog. Make sure your dog is on lead before you do and praise the heck out of him before you touch the other dog.

I think you're right and I have a jealous teenager on my hands.
He'll play with his toys and then drop them whenever he gets bored and go off and do something else. I can take anything from him and unless I make it clear that we're playing tug or something like that, he just lets it go and either doesn't react or just looks at me like "Why did you do that?"
He is 100% outside so no in/out of the door to use. But when we go somewhere like atwoods he gets excited and pulls to the door, but once we get inside he either walks beside me, behind me or sits/lays down when we stop.
He's not as good with his left and right as his brother was but he's getting there and goes left or right on command more than half the time

remy3424
03-30-2021, 07:49 PM
He needs to learn when it's the right and wrong time to bite.

That has bad idea written all over it. You real think the dog is capable of making the decision of "when to bite"??? Or do you want to "command" the dog to bite???

Rotts have a "reputation" and it isn't of being "teddy bears" that the OP seems to think they have...right or wrong...only have been around one...I wouldn't have been anywhere near him without knowing exactly where he was...owner eventually put him down.

Wait until someone tries to save their dog from him and things go from very bad to even worse...keep a good liability policy.

Battis
03-30-2021, 07:52 PM
Last November, I had to put down my friend, a 10 yr old Rott/Shepherd mix that I got from a shelter. He was about 92 lbs and the strongest dog I've ever seen. I had him for 4 years and at first, he had a real problem with male dogs. I worked with him for a long time, and always kept him leashed until he learned. I had to show him that I was the Alpha, and eventually he calmed down. I had to scare the karap out of him, threaten him, etc, and he responded.
Pitbulls hated him - he was attacked four times in a year by pitbulls.
He was not a pure Rottweiler, and he was neutered, but I still had to show him who was boss. I like the Rottweiler breed but I have no use for pitbulls.
As far as not neutering a male - I had a wolf hybrid that lived to be 18 (I got him when he was 2), and he died with The Boys still attached. That was one dog (or whatever he was) that I could never conquer.

lksmith
03-30-2021, 08:02 PM
That has bad idea written all over it. You real think the dog is capable of making the decision of "when to bite"??? Or do you want to "command" the dog to bite???

Rotts have a "reputation" and it isn't of being "teddy bears" that the OP seems to think they have...right or wrong...only have been around one...I wouldn't have been anywhere near him without knowing exactly where he was...owner eventually put him down.

Wait until someone tries to save their dog from him and things go from very bad to even worse...keep a good liability policy.

You are obviously racist about different breeds of dogs, and the media perception has been about as fair to them, as the media is to guns, especially black guns.
I have been around dogs of several breed my whole life and the only breed I've neve seen show aggression FIRST HAND to people have been rotties. the 4 I have had were protective but not aggressive. If they were pushed the probably would bite to protect but only after several warning growls and other obvious warnings. Out of my 4 rotties I have only had one growls at a person and she only did it one time with one person who was acting very aggressively towards me. My current boy and his brother I had before him have been the most affectionate dogs I have ever been around. as far as they were concerned, they were/are lapdogs.

lksmith
03-30-2021, 08:06 PM
Trying to be humorous, but accurate:

You would not pet your neighbor’s wife with you wife standing there.....don’t pet other dogs with your dog around.

Good point
I have hugged my wife's friends in front of her before we/they left. She did get a tad uncomfortable one time when her brother's girlfriend (now wife) kissed me on the cheek before we left a "family gathering." Truth be told I was a little uncomfortable too but it was innocent, it was just her family's way.

popper
03-30-2021, 08:09 PM
All dogs will bite when they want to do so. Trained or not. Some are less likely. Cats the same. Only us that think they are domestic. I did find that my kid's border collies would bark and shy away from people, growl and bare teeth. Until you sit down. In their mind you are 'safe', I guess.

Frosty Boolit
03-30-2021, 08:32 PM
I have had success with an electronic collar on a strong willed German Shepherd. He is 10 months old now and he is very obedient. I'd bet you could take command of your dog the same way if you are willing to put feeling aside and give him the stimulus he needs to learn that you are the alpha.

BNE
03-30-2021, 08:52 PM

This makes sense to me. I have not had a rottie, but praise is a very strong motivator with our dogs.

Praise what they do correctly. Ignore what you don’t want. (If you can.)

ryanmattes
03-30-2021, 09:21 PM
Praise what they do correctly. Ignore what you don’t want. (If you can.)

Just like with kids! People always get offended when I draw that parallel, but between my many good dogs and my 5 grown kids, I couldn't help but notice the similarities.

I think people miss the importance of natural consequences, as opposed to punishment, in both cases. In both cases the result you're looking for is "When I do this, good things happen, when I do that, bad things happen," rather than "Dad will be mad if I do this."

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Battis
03-30-2021, 11:07 PM
Some people take praise too far with a dog and give them a treat every time they do what they're supposed to do. You end up with fat spoiled dogs.
I had a dog that lifted his leg on people when we first got him (including on me). I talked to a "dog behaviorist" at the shelter and she told me to praise him when he pees where he should, and don't punish him when he pees on a leg. Dumbest advice I've ever heard. I broke him of that habit without breaking his spirit. They're pack animals. Don't pee on the Alpha...

gbrown
03-31-2021, 12:08 AM
I have a 13 yo Lab, Pit, Basset, probably some more flavors mix. He is the sweetest animal I have ever seen. We got him at 8 weeks of age, a re-homing, as his owners had to move and couldn't take him. He was supposed to be my middle grandson's, but I ended up with him. Neutered. Never showed any inclination to bite anyone. Has cornered a couple of meter readers. Funniest meter reader was an older lady, who would walk in the back yard with him and say, "I know you won't bite me, now stop all that and let me do my job." He would. My SIL's parents sheltered with us during Immelda. They brought their dogs, 2 sheepherding types with them, of course. They were some neurotic animals,
for sure. Walking them out, to go home, Joey walked over, for whatever reason, and one attempted to attack him. I stepped in, and narrowly avoided a couple of good bites. Not sure I could own animals of that nature.

remy3424
03-31-2021, 06:53 AM
Rotts are generally safe, they are 2nd behind pitts in fatal human attacks. I know that is a shocker. Back to shooting and casting topics.

JSnover
03-31-2021, 08:12 AM
I assume his trouble is with male dogs. When you show up, he feels the need to protect his position in his pack. When you showed the other dog attention, he takes exception to it. He can't get angry with you so he takes it out on the other dog.
Spot on, I had the same thing happen. Neighbor's pit/lab had always been a friendly dog until it saw me scratch my beagle, then it attacked my dog. I don't have a solution but I believe you nailed the problem.

trapper9260
03-31-2021, 09:02 AM
jsizemore you got it on spot
You right and for what I found work with my coydogs, is you correct them like a mother dog will do with her puppies. grab them by the skin of the neck and push them down and correct them. I am on my 3 rd coydog. I got them all as puppies the first 2 came from when I had trap one in my coyote set and the other stayed with him. They where protecting and also had there alpha order and they learn I was the alpha by the way I stated. and then the 2 brothers was trying to see who it next in line most of the time and I would stop them till they got older. They where mix with coyote, wolf and dog. the one I have now is coyote and dog. From what I learn is the males will always try to be the top of it all till they learn that they not . All I learn is that you correct them like their mother will do when they are puppies and they do not forget for how she done that with them.

lksmith
03-31-2021, 09:26 AM
I have had success with an electronic collar on a strong willed German Shepherd. He is 10 months old now and he is very obedient. I'd bet you could take command of your dog the same way if you are willing to put feeling aside and give him the stimulus he needs to learn that you are the alpha.

I guess I'll have to break out the collar I used on some of my other dogs. My main concern with that when he's being a butthead (one of his nicknames) to other dogs is that the collar may escalate the situation and him mistakenly think the other dog is causing it.

lksmith
03-31-2021, 09:30 AM
Rotts are generally safe, they are 2nd behind pitts in fatal human attacks. I know that is a shocker. Back to shooting and casting topics.

Both are big muscular dogs, when they bite they do more damage than a chihuahua, even though they are exponentially less likely to bite than a chihuahua. All the Rotties I've been around are far more likely to lick you to death than bite you or show aggression

John Wayne
03-31-2021, 11:47 AM
I'll preface my statement. I am the principal owner of a 1 million $ animal shelter that opened in 2006 and has placed over 8000 animals and I certainly have some scars to prove it.
First off I wouldn't call Remy3424 racist for his opinion. You also mention media opinion. I wouldn't worry about media opinion, I would worry about your homeowners insurance policy. Many don't allow that breed or require notification if you have certain breeds and they will charge you appropriately. Things have really changed in the legal world and sadly you can be sued for anything these days including selling a dog that becomes dangerous or was made to be dangerous long after you sold it. If your insurance company walks away from you it can really be costly.
Now the dog...I would flip him on his side and lay on him until he submits. Do this a couple of times each week during play time or if he exhibits any irritation with you or the family. Be ready for the day he "tries you" like you just gave him a slight correction during leash training and he looks around and barely growls or bares his teeth. React instantly and flip his legs out from under him, lay on him and have your forearm pinning his neck and head so he can't nip you. Hold him there until he sighs and relaxes. Don't miss a golden opportunity. Don't do any of this with a Corso around.
Best of luck to you and enjoy your dog.

trapper9260
03-31-2021, 11:51 AM
I'll preface my statement. I am the principal owner of a 1 million $ animal shelter that opened in 2006 and has placed over 8000 animals and I certainly have some scars to prove it.
First off I wouldn't call Remy3424 racist for his opinion. You also mention media opinion. I wouldn't worry about media opinion, I would worry about your homeowners insurance policy. Many don't allow that breed or require notification if you have certain breeds and they will charge you appropriately. Things have really changed in the legal world and sadly you can be sued for anything these days including selling a dog that becomes dangerous or was made to be dangerous long after you sold it. If your insurance company walks away from you it can really be costly.
Now the dog...I would flip him on his side and lay on him until he submits. Do this a couple of times each week during play time or if he exhibits any irritation with you or the family. Be ready for the day he "tries you" like you just gave him a slight correction during leash training and he looks around and barely growls or bares his teeth. React instantly and flip his legs out from under him, lay on him and have your forearm pinning his neck and head so he can't nip you. Hold him there until he sighs and relaxes. Don't miss a golden opportunity. Don't do any of this with a Corso around.

For what you say about put the dog on its side is what I left out when I said do what the mother would do with her puppies. That is what I do also by the neck skin. In time they will submit to you and what you tell them . You got it all on point.

John Wayne
03-31-2021, 12:00 PM
For what you say about put the dog on its side is what I left out when I said do what the mother would do with her puppies. That is what I do also by the neck skin. In time they will submit to you and what you tell them . You got it all on point.

Thank you sir. I knew what you meant. Ps. I never met a Trapper I didn't like!

lksmith
03-31-2021, 12:15 PM

I went through the alpha thing with him when he was about 6 months old. When he would try to show dominance toward me I'd flip him on his back and hold my hand on this throat until he calmed down. But to be clear, he has never showed aggression towards me or any human. The worst I have gotten from him towards people is that he occasionally gets a bit rowdy when playing and either forgets or doesn't realize his size.

RogerDat
03-31-2021, 12:52 PM
No disrespect meant, but apparently you know nothing about the breed. His breed is not a problem, and he has the best temperament with people, he loves everyone. Never met a stranger
I am asking for help with him getting along with dogs. Again, with people anywhere and when at home with other dogs he is about as dangerous as an AR15 in a safe

Not having complete control and confidence in the behavior of the dog of that size is a recipe for disaster. The dog has to know that "deciding" to be aggressive is never his decision. If one is unable to gently but firmly reach that level of confidence with this particular animal then breeding them is probably a mistake. The breed deserves dogs that are trainable to help responsible owners better avoid the negative incidents that give these breeds such bad press.

Imagine a buyer having met the sire and dam and finding them very friendly being totally unprepared for the dog aggressive characteristics that are strong in the sire when those show up in the pup. Just keeping a dog that one can't be sure won't attack another dog is not smart. I'm sure a hundred pound dog could savage my 40 pound dog, not sure the 100 pound dog will survive the 240 pound master entering the fray. At a dog agility trial I grabbed a 90 pound Malamute but the back of the neck and stood up. If he had been clamped on my dog his throat would have been severed on the way up. As it was he was slashing and biting not clamping and holding so it wasn't required. That owner didn't protest the lifetime ban the dog received for this 2nd leaving the ring to attack incident. They knew that dog was not temperamentally suited to being around other dogs off leash. If your dog has had two incidents I would say the same assessment might apply.

Owners owe it to their dog to insure they are taught how to behave and to not put the dog in positions where they will handle it badly. Two attacks on other dogs says to me no off leash time around other dogs until this is totally sorted out.

matrixcs
03-31-2021, 01:02 PM
if you have Netflix you might want to watch Canine Intervention. It gives you an idea how to fix some behavior issues. It gave me ideas I would never have guessed on my own..

Greg S
03-31-2021, 01:08 PM
https://shannonspring.com/

She is good. Helped my sister out when her Dane rolled outta bed and broke his neck paralyzing him.

Tatume
03-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Any Dog Whisperers out there?

I don't believe there is such a thing. I train service dogs. Dogs need frequent and consistent instruction. If you make a mistake once, they will remember. If you are inconsistent once, they will remember. If you don't want a dog to beg for food when someone is eating in the car, don't give him a French fry EVEN ONCE. If you do, he will remember.

Pay attention to what is a reward. If you laugh, that is a reward. Laugh when a dog grabs and chews your tee shirt when you take it off, and he will remember that you rewarded him for doing it. If he jumps on someone and they touch him, that is a reward, and he will remember. When you introduce your dog to a person or another dog, he should sit until you tell him otherwise. If you let him have his way, that is a reward and he will remember.

Take your dog to places where there are other people and other dogs. Consistently reward him when he behaves well, consistently don't reward him when he misbehaves. I don't believe in physically punishing dogs, but I will pull the leash and take the dog elsewhere if I see a hint of bad behavior. They will eventually learn that if they want to stay and enjoy the company of others (people or dogs), they must behave. Dogs learn bad behavior instantly, but it takes time and consistent, frequent training to teach them good behavior.

Mr_Sheesh
03-31-2021, 03:44 PM
Another thing to be aware of is that there are 3 parts to how a dog will act (May be more, 98% asleep and can't seem to fall asleep, arrgh.)

There is the dog's natural set of instincts and behavior,
There is training, and
There is the environment, including how you feel / think;

I've seen an otherwise great Hearing dog, meeting a great Service dog, get defensive because their partner went neurotic, afraid that the Service dog would get out of hand. (Unlikely as, despite being a 150# furbeast, he regularly played 'chase me, chase you!' with a 6# cat, never any issues other than making me laugh hard and distracting me, those are acceptable issues!)

The third element here probably isn't "it", but I wanted to remind all of us to keep our own intent and emotions in mind when dealing with our furry friends. They are usually better tuned in to us than we are, and i's a good thing, we just have to be aware of it.

jsizemore
03-31-2021, 06:12 PM
I'd like to point out that the police and military use dogs as well as firearms. Their dogs know when it's the right and wrong time to bite. You see them around the public daily. No reason why we can't do the same. You wouldn't take your gun out in public and start shooting indiscriminately. The same goes for your large herding or working dog. ALL dogs bite. You as a responsible owner needs to teach them when it's right or wrong. You as the head of the pack needs to show your consistent response to situations and your dogs participation or not. They don't have a hand so they use their mouth to interact with the world.

My bouvier had a schutzhund 1 title and his akc chanpionship. To get the schutzhund 1 title he had to track, do an obedience routine and protection routine. In the show ring he had to conform to the breed standard for body structure, movement and temperament. Kids were drawn to them cuz they look like a shaggy bear. Mine would lay down on the ground while surrounded by 5 or 6 sets of eager hands.

WheelgunConvert
03-31-2021, 08:32 PM
Larry Benoit in Baton Rouge.

RogerDat
04-01-2021, 04:20 PM
I don't believe there is such a thing. I train service dogs. Dogs need frequent and consistent instruction. If you make a mistake once, they will remember. If you are inconsistent once, they will remember. If you don't want a dog to beg for food when someone is eating in the car, don't give him a French fry EVEN ONCE. If you do, he will remember.

Pay attention to what is a reward. If you laugh, that is a reward. Laugh when a dog grabs and chews your tee shirt when you take it off, and he will remember that you rewarded him for doing it. If he jumps on someone and they touch him, that is a reward, and he will remember. When you introduce your dog to a person or another dog, he should sit until you tell him otherwise. If you let him have his way, that is a reward and he will remember.

Take your dog to places where there are other people and other dogs. Consistently reward him when he behaves well, consistently don't reward him when he misbehaves. I don't believe in physically punishing dogs, but I will pull the leash and take the dog elsewhere if I see a hint of bad behavior. They will eventually learn that if they want to stay and enjoy the company of others (people or dogs), they must behave. Dogs learn bad behavior instantly, but it takes time and consistent, frequent training to teach them good behavior.

This is solid advice here. Our dog tries to jump on people, never tries to jump on me. I turn my back to her and tell her "off". On the other hand my wife greats the dog warmly when she comes home while the dog jumps up on her. I point out dog never jumps on me, she sits to be greeted then rubs against my leg while she is getting petted. I can see the dog when greeting others at the door toggle between jumping on people and sitting then jumping on people then sitting. Dog wants the greeting but WE have made it so she has no clear idea of what greeting method will get her the reward she wants of being petted.

I have been tempted to get shock collar for the wife but... thought better of it. Barely.

If you want a dog to "behave" in what are strange situations for a dog like crowds or parades or little league games then you have to expose the dog to these things gradually and with a 100% focus on training the dog. Go to events or sit outside of stores when the only thing you are there for is dog training.

I had an old dog that I worked with around little league fields after work. Got him to the point that kids could pet him with one hand while eating a hot dog out of the other and I wasn't worried about the kid losing the hotdog or being "challenged" for the food. My current dog begs by laying down where she can watch you eat. Which should allow us to eat at outside dining with her easily. And without having to stand on her leash the whole time to keep her down. She gets anything that she is getting afterwards and from her dish. Zero reward for being "at" the table or chair begging.

bangerjim
04-01-2021, 06:34 PM
If there are any whisperers out there..............better get on over to the Bidumb White House, because he as a stupid dog that keeps biting people.

lksmith
04-01-2021, 06:39 PM
If there are any whisperers out there..............better get on over to the Bidumb White House, because he as a stupid dog that keeps biting people.

nah, that dog is WAAYYYY smarter than anyone else in the white house

Tatume
04-01-2021, 07:18 PM
The support staff, the Marines, and the Secret Service are all sharp.

lksmith
04-02-2021, 10:29 AM
The support staff, the Marines, and the Secret Service are all sharp.

True, I didn't think about them. I was thinking about the ones that came in with the current administration

lksmith
04-04-2021, 08:35 AM
Update, this morning my pup and the Cane Corso were running and playing as usual. Apparently when I am around he gets jealous and feels the need to make sure any other male knows I am his human and his alone.

T-Bird
04-04-2021, 09:08 AM
Read Cesar’s Way by Cesar Milan the “dog whisperer “. It gives a very good explanation of how we often send incorrect messages to our dogs concerning their order in the “pack “ with behavior that they totally misinterpret. And how to properly establish dominance. I’m a retired Vet . If I had a nickel for every time I heard “he doesn’t normally act like that “ from a Rottie owner I’d be a rich man.

Mr_Sheesh
04-05-2021, 06:26 PM
I've heard some negative things towards Cesar Milan's methods from other dog trainers, haven't looked into them as I'd be talking with these local folks if / when I get a dog.

Could be a good idea to find a good local trainer and show them the dog's behavior first hand and get feedback; "Paws-Abilities" in Fife, WA was where we trained Zeuss, good people, inexpensive classes, and they train YOU to train the dog, that last is rather important! Should be local good trainers by you. Ask local dog rescues and dog groups who they like?

I learned a LOT in their classes, much of it being what I wasn't doing or what I was doing wrong... A smart dog is a different challenge that a less smart dog, also, those can try to run the pack from the bottom, Zeuss was smart as heck and used to being the pack Alpha, it was a learning experience :)

(I could have a Service Dog but not enough it could do to help given my current situation, maybe once I move. Looking forward to having even a regular mellow furbeast around :))

T-Bird
04-05-2021, 08:42 PM
Cesars focus is on understanding the dog / human relationship and how we unwittingly tell the dog in dog language that he is the top of the heap so to speak. It's a whole lifestyle with the dog. Local trainers can be valuable too, the book explains the relationship so that you understand.

FarNorth45
04-06-2021, 12:07 AM
I see that your buddy is now playing and getting a long , great !!! They do get jealous and can be aggressive.
I trained labs/goldens to hunt and run hunting test , also obedience on other breeds . Every one has their own personality!!! My old lab was the sweetest loving dog to kids and people , awesome hunting dog also !! But when he was 10 months old i was training everyday with another friend (pro Trainer) , he had this customers lab and that dog would constantly run around trying to hump other dogs !!! He made my dog hate other dogs , from that point on he never liked other dogs no matter what i did . He would never start a fight , but if another dog came running up to pester him he would turn away , flare up his neck hair and let out a deep growl ....
.. if they continued , he nailed them !!! I tried to get him out of it , but he just never liked other dogs after that but he was still fine in our home with other house dogs .... they just knew to leave him alone !!!!! On one hand i couldn't blame him , most of time anymore i feel that way about people lol

abunaitoo
04-06-2021, 02:11 AM
I tried to whisper to my cat once.
She didn't like it.

Mr_Sheesh
04-06-2021, 04:17 AM
My cat likes whispers, odd. Try feeding her treats every time you whisper for a while :)

robg
04-27-2021, 12:08 PM
had a red setter german shepard cross ,great with people /cats menace with other dogs .
just kept him away from other dogs.