PDA

View Full Version : Potter Casting pot

metricmonkeywrench
03-30-2021, 09:23 AM
My latest acquisition was a second Potter Model C casting pot. Plugged it in and got it drained of the questionable contents and was able to scrape, poke and Dremel wire brush out the innards to an acceptable level. I turned my attention to the outside. the baseplate screw actually came out and i was able to pull off the outer shield/insulation.

I should have taken pictures, ill try to describe it, now exposed is the internal post connections and heating element. The heating element is a wire coil type wrapped around the cast iron pot and secured with a hardened white substance that is crumbling a bit at the two ends where the wires go back to the post. The exposed coils are about 3/8 in in length

This is where my trouble/concern lies, any idea if what this material could be? it seems to be the consistency of a hardish chalk or almost a gypsum consistency, i would not be surprised if it might be an asbestos paper machea. I think leaving the coils exposed could eventually lead to a hotspot/coil burnout. Any thoughts on a replacement filler like wallboard compound?

Ill try to grab a picture tonight

ReloaderFred
03-30-2021, 10:27 AM
The resident expert on all things Potter is Roundnoser. You might want to send him a PM and see if he may know the answer to your question.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Oaks&Pines
04-01-2021, 09:11 PM
It may be Plaster of Paris it has a max temperature of 2200 Degree's I believe. Has better heat resistance properties then Gypsum plaster.

GregLaROCHE
04-01-2021, 11:08 PM
If you are going to fabricate something yourself, consider using the clay used in ceramics.

beagle
04-11-2021, 07:49 PM
Started out on a Potter. Good little pot. Wish they were still made. Hope you get it up and running./beagle