PDA

View Full Version : TN Constitutional Carry

owejia
03-30-2021, 08:19 AM
Had e-mail from NRA-ILA that we will get it on 1 July 2021. Waiting for the Governor to sign it. Been a long hard fight and probably not what everyone wanted in the bill, but can always revisit it in the future. Thanks Governor Lee.

farmbif
03-30-2021, 08:25 AM
looks like its gonna now be legal to open carry or concealed carry without a permit, is this still what it is, saw a bit on news about it but not the whole thing. I got couple holsters. I didn't see anything about carrying Gun inside at Walmart yesterday, just a big sign saying. no mask, no enter

MrWolf
03-30-2021, 11:11 AM
For some reason I have a problem seeing those no gun signs. Must be my aging eyesight or something.

abunaitoo
03-30-2021, 02:13 PM
I really wish we would have it here.
But sadly, it will probably never happen.
Sister and friend now live in Tennessee.
Sister doesn't even own a firearm, but got her CCW.
Tennessee is looking better and better, but probably to old to make a change.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-30-2021, 06:30 PM
For some reason I have a problem seeing those no gun signs. Must be my aging eyesight or something.

They seem to have removed them in my AO. Made businesses look stupid I guess.

Thin Man
03-31-2021, 05:50 AM
No news yet on the governor signing the bill. Even when he does a lot of TN residents will continue to maintain their state-issued permits. These permits allow the owner to carry in other states via reciprocity while the new legislation cannot provide that protection outside of TN.

bakerjw
03-31-2021, 10:42 AM
I have been very active with my state representative and senator about these bills. In fact I am well known to them.
There were 3 bills working through the house and senate. One was sidelined by the lt. governor and another died in a house finance committee. Of all 3, the Lee bill was the weakest but it is better than nothing.
Governor Lee has been good on somethings like not locking down the state and this bill but has been wishy washy on a few others.

Half Dog
03-31-2021, 12:35 PM
Personally, I prefer a license to carry. It shows minimal firearm competency and education.

alamogunr
03-31-2021, 01:28 PM
Last night on the Memphis news all the law enforcement hierarchy(African American) including the Attorney General(white female) were interviewed opposing the law. I can understand their position after watching the nightly news and seeing reports of at least one shooting involving African Americans but more probably multiple instances.

I would expect(HOPE) that these occurrences would become less frequent with passage of Constitutional Carry. Memphis is a place I would not go at night even armed.

44MAG#1
03-31-2021, 01:35 PM
I think permitless carry is a good thing. It is time for this to be passed.
I for one am glad to see it.

WestKentucky
03-31-2021, 07:57 PM
I have been watching this closely and at this point it’s a bit of a poison pill for Gov Lee. He has pushed the legislation and has finally won, but he has alienated a lot of folks along the way, particularly the law enforcement community. Having family in law enforcement I get their side of it, but I still say that a man should be able to do what is legal until such time as he proves himself unable to do so responsibly. I hope he still has enough support to get re-elected because he is also an outspoken proponent for fostering and adopting which is near me dear to my heart as an adoptive dad. I am thankful to have Gov Bill Lee as my governor. Since my family is all in Kentucky and about 360 days of my year are spent in KY and TN I’m pretty well golden now. I just have to remember to not carry while on vacation

Butzbach
04-01-2021, 12:08 AM
Personally, I prefer a license to carry. It shows minimal firearm competency and education.
I guess we are all lucky that it is a God given right and not a Half Dog given privilege.

Thundarstick
04-01-2021, 05:35 AM
Governor Lee has been good on somethings like not locking down the state and this bill but has been wishy washy on a few others.

O no! HE didn't! HE just abandoned his role as governor and let every two bit city and county mayor do it for him, so come election time HE'S not the one who locked down the state!

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Goody goody on the permitless carry in Tennessee. Every state should have it.

BJK
04-01-2021, 07:58 AM
Good for the Tennesseeans! Unless folks in Tennessee are somehow different than any other state that has it it'll work out fine. BTW, every other state that has it has had dire warnings, but they're all BS. The bad guys already have and carry guns. All this law does is let the good guys have them. The LEOs need to remove their heads from their anal sphincters.

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 08:12 AM
Good for the Tennesseeans! Unless folks in Tennessee are somehow different than any other state that has it it'll work out fine. BTW, every other state that has it has had dire warnings, but they're all BS. The bad guys already have and carry guns. All this law does is let the good guys have them. The LEOs need to remove their heads from their anal sphincters.

Glad someone with some gray matter is here. I am with you on this.

myg30
04-01-2021, 08:42 AM
My wife and I both got our carry permits in 95 when they were first issued. I would think most folks will still get a permit if they can afford one.
I do believe that training is important. Everyone that carries should be familiar with their carry gun and be responsible enough to use it when needed and know that they are liable where their bullets land.
As for LEO’s they should always treat a person or traffic stop knowing that there can be a firearm or other weapon.

So why are the leo’s so against permitless carry ? Less records of who has a firearm since carry permits go across the sheriffs desks ?

Mike

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 08:53 AM
The government, "law enforcement", ect. already knows too much.

BJK
04-01-2021, 09:07 AM
As far as the training issue goes I've run into quite a few people who want to carry but know that they aren't rained and wait until they are before carrying. Have faith in your fellow gun owners. Most are just as responsible as you are. That's just the way we are. Now scumbags, they don't care, but that's not us.

BTW, I've had a permit since '82 and when CC came to Maine I decided to maintain my permit. There are advantages to having one.

Half Dog
04-01-2021, 10:47 AM
I guess we are all lucky that it is a God given right and not a Half Dog given privilege.

Butzbach, I have seen people who were not able to hit a stationary target and those who got their gun safety knowledge from Hollywood. Apparently you haven’t. For the safety of all, those people need training and as I said previously, a license shows minimal competency and knowledge.

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 10:52 AM
The training to get a license is mainly a token training. That type of "training" is nothing more than a calming the unknowing that thinks they know.

Burnt Fingers
04-01-2021, 11:12 AM
Butzbach, I have seen people who were not able to hit a stationary target and those who got their gun safety knowledge from Hollywood. Apparently you haven’t. For the safety of all, those people need training and as I said previously, a license shows minimal competency and knowledge.

You're funny.

The "training" required to get a Texas CHL/LTC is so minimal as to be worthless.

But let's go down your route.

To make it REALLY safe let's require everyone to complete the Gunsite 499 level training before they can beg to the Government masters for permission to carry a firearm.

OR...we could read this moldy old document called the Bill of Rights and follow it.

I prefer the last one.

I'm guessing you're a LTC/CHL instructor???

RickinTN
04-01-2021, 01:29 PM
I have to ask this question.....Can a person purchase liability insurance coverage without a permit. My suspicion is that a carrier won't touch covering a person without a permit showing at least some sort of training. On another forum a person there stated he had an umbrella policy so no worries for him. It is my understanding that an umbrella policy only comes into effect when an underlying policy is exhausted. If a person doesn't have an underlying policy then the Umbrella policy is no good.
Anyone researched and know the particulars here?
Take care,
Rick

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 02:57 PM
Insurance companies, by nature, are going to try to throw a monkey wrench into the works someway or another.
What would be different about this?

Handloader109
04-01-2021, 08:41 PM
I held a ccw for one 5 year term. Instruction, it WAS NOT TRAINING, was good as far as when you could defend yourself legally, when to not pull out that gun and HOW TO FOLLOW THE CCW LAWS. By that, in Arkansas, if you hold a ccw, if you have a traffic stop, you are Required to hand over the license with your DL and inform the officer if you are or not carrying. $100 fine if you fail to do this. ONLY FOR A CCW HOLDER. Range shooting for license was a joke. if you could hit the paper, you passed. It AINT TRAINING. DO NOT FOOL YOURSELF. Mine lapsed, I'm not paying good money for the privilege as AR is now constitutional carry state too. I'm safe in my surroundings states, mainly MS and now TN. law officers don't like it here either, it was really back doored as the state constitution permitted it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

44MAG#1
04-01-2021, 09:03 PM
I will continue to keep my handgun carry permit as a Tennesseean. But I am glag for the permitless carry law now.
Right it is really no training in my opinion.
It is just a formality is all.

alamogunr
04-01-2021, 09:51 PM
I will continue to keep my handgun carry permit as a Tennesseean. But I am glag for the permitless carry law now.
Right it is really no training in my opinion.
It is just a formality is all.

I agree completely. The last time I renewed my permit it was for 8 years. I'll be 82 when it expires. I'll make the decision, if one is to be made, whether to renew or not. I've had a permit since they first were allowed in TN, when we had to be bonded. I've not always carried consistently but liked knowing I could. It has only been in the last couple of years that I acquired a serious carry gun. Now I've got two. A Dan Wesson .45 and a S&W Shield .45.

I sincerely hope that the bad guys are nervous about anyone being able to be armed.

EDIT! I just noticed that my driver's license expires the same year. I guess I should also worry if I should renew that too.

Thundarstick
04-01-2021, 10:23 PM
Let's see. I carried BEFORE Tennessee had a permit system. I got a permit when they became available. Won't renew if this is signed. I don't wag my pecker around in public, I don't wag my pistol around in public, and no one cares that I have either. Having one makes me a potential murderer, the other a potential rapist, this is where laws against possession are evil.
I wonder what's going to happen to these constitutional cary laws when federal law makes it illegal to "bear arms"?

Burnt Fingers
04-02-2021, 10:47 AM
I have to ask this question.....Can a person purchase liability insurance coverage without a permit. My suspicion is that a carrier won't touch covering a person without a permit showing at least some sort of training. On another forum a person there stated he had an umbrella policy so no worries for him. It is my understanding that an umbrella policy only comes into effect when an underlying policy is exhausted. If a person doesn't have an underlying policy then the Umbrella policy is no good.
Anyone researched and know the particulars here?
Take care,
Rick

Yes you can.

pastera
04-02-2021, 12:01 PM
In Massachusetts - Each town is a fiefdom unto its own. The cheif of police determines what level of training you need above state minimum, if you need referal letters and from whom, and if you will be restricted to no concealed carry (you can't legally own even a spend casing here without a license). And we can only buy "approved" handguns from dealers which limits the selection and excludes the more affordable options. Owning a firearm is only for those who can afford the time and money to jump through the hoops.

If anyone has an issue with constitutional carry because of training they should advocate for mandatory firearms training as part of the approved curriculum in schools.

EMC45
04-02-2021, 02:39 PM
I know folks here in East TN who have gone through the requisite training and they have said it is laughable, even to the point of erroneously giving legal advice and misquoting law and code. When I moved here I showed the DMV my qual card from my last job (DOD) and they issued my permit. No class required.