PDA

View Full Version : New Compressor

GregLaROCHE
03-30-2021, 07:11 AM
I’m planning on getting a compressor to run small air tools, that I’ve had stored for years. Drills, die grinders, ratchet wrench, impact wrench, etc. I already have a portable compressor mounted on a tank, but the few times I tried to use it with an impact wrench, it wouldn’t work after fifteen seconds. I wasn’t surprised, but thought I’d give it a try.

Now I’m looking for a compressor that can be stationary, but most of all will do the job. I have three phase available, but would have to run a line to where I plan to install it, so that would add a cost.

What do I need as CFM output? Perhaps the most important part of the equation is the volume tank. I don’t like the idea of an inclosed unit. I would prefer the type with the motor separate with a belt driving the compressor.

The most reasonable prices seem to be complete units including the volume tank, that doesn’t seem big enough to me, at least compared to what I had used in shops years ago. Is getting one of these combination units and connecting it to an an additional big volume tank a good way to go? How many CFM is recommended? Or how many hp motor, which seems to be the only way many are rated, at least on the internet.

This is only for hobby type use or working on my car, not heavy everyday use. Therefore, I need to keep it economical or I won’t be able to afford to do it. Perhaps buying new battery powered tools would be less expensive in the long run. But I have always liked using air tools.

Thanks for all advice.

Armorer77
03-30-2021, 07:30 AM
Each of your tools should have a CFM rating , but for running air tools , Volume is King . ED

John Wayne
03-30-2021, 07:40 AM
Look for a good condition 3 phase on craigslist. 3 phase is cheaper to operate by far.

farmbif
03-30-2021, 07:47 AM
you get what you pay for. ive been through many and in my opinion only the best quality are worth investing in if you want reliability, Ingersoll rand, Curtis, emglo, are a few good brands, might call a compressor shop and see if they have a good used one or rebuilt. you probably want at least an 80 gallon tank and 5hp two stage compressor to run a wide variety of tools without running out of air. it won't get you into effective sandblasting but you could paint a car with an hvlp gun.

metricmonkeywrench
03-30-2021, 08:00 AM
Second on the volume, followed by refresh rate, both effect or how often it has to cycle to meet the demand for air

Going from memory most "standard" air tools operate something like 10-20 cfm and work off the standard 3/8 hose. Small volume tools such as nailers and the occasional tire top off can get away with the smaller pancake 3-5 gallon tanks. Normal general shop use such as your describing can be done with an off the shelf 30ish gal tank and a decent sized single or dual stage compressor (think refresh rate) available from most of the usual tool outlets. Allotted space and noise may drive your choices. I've had a 5hp 25 gal Craftsman for years that's done everything I've needed it to do.

The Big boy tools like industrial needle scalier and 1 in semi tire impact wrenches eat a lot more and have a bigger supply lines.

pastera
03-30-2021, 08:17 AM
I use a cheap HF oil lubed 10gal 4cfm compressor.
Didn't work well with impacts until I changed over to high flow couplers. With high flow couplers the impact had much more power and ends up using less volume because it breaks things free fast.
Painting with an hvlp gun works for small jobs
Drills, sanders and grinders are continuous draw tools and you really need a compressor CFM about twice the highest draw tool.

GregLaROCHE
03-30-2021, 09:10 AM
Checking shops that repair compressors for a used one is good idea.

Mal Paso
03-30-2021, 09:34 AM
My new battery operated 1/2 inch impact wrench (Milwaukee) is more powerful than my air impacts which sit on the shelf now. The rest of my air tools are smaller and run on a little 2 HP Makita compressor.

Alstep
03-30-2021, 11:31 AM
The last shop I worked in before I retired had a 3 phase vane or screw type compressor. We never ran out of air with this thing, and there were 6 of us working there, and someone was always using an air tool of some kind. It was quiet too, compared to the old Ingersoll. But it was pricey!

If you already have a small one, another small one "T'ed" together might be all you need for intermediate use.

trails4u
03-30-2021, 11:49 AM
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIET-TECH-26-Gallon-Single-Stage-Portable-Electric-Vertical-Air-Compressor/1001014062?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-bing-_-lia-_-153-_-compressorsdiyandstationary-_-1001014062-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=7cda5e121d1b13d1e8603e71553e9634&gclsrc=3p.ds&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=7cda5e121d1b13d1e8603e71553e9634

I have this one..... Love it, and it is quiet!!

remy3424
03-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Bought a Dewalt 20 volt impact and haven't used the pneumatic one since....also bought a set of torque limiting extensions at HF and haven't used the torque wrench since either. For just household use, forget about 2 stage or 80 gallon tanks, I would get the largest portable model you can find, I myself wouldn't get a direct drive either. That will do all it sounds that you will need. Invest the $1,000 (or more) you will save NOT buying a "king-kong" sized compressor, in a nice line-up of the Dewalt 20 volt lithium brushless tools and don't look back. If you think you are going to paint....well, then you need a big compressor.

jsizemore
03-30-2021, 12:50 PM
The big plus is the battery powered stuff is portable. I got the Dewalt 20volt system tools. They ride in the truck full time so I can take care of business anywhere. 2 battery chargers is a big plus. I have a Rol-air Bull for carpentry work.

Gofaaast
03-30-2021, 01:57 PM
I have a DeWalt 30 gallon that serves my needs well which are similar to yours. I painted my stock trailer with it a few years back and it maintained the pressure needed for my hvlp gun. For a couple hundred more you can get a lot more compressor than it though. I purchased my gently used.

Adam20
03-30-2021, 05:18 PM
i use rol-air on framing sites for the last 8 years, no troubles at all and reasonable priced, change oil, drain water from tanks. Have used box store compressors before, they last about 1 year. they are build to a price not a standard for boxes stores. No idea what CFM what you need.

Petrol & Powder
03-30-2021, 07:46 PM
To address this requirement set out by the OP:
"....This is only for hobby type use or working on my car, not heavy everyday use. Therefore, I need to keep it economical or I won’t be able to afford to do it. "

You're probably not looking at a commercial unit set up for a garage or farm shop. Those are going to be too expensive unless you find a good deal on a used one.

As others have accurately pointed out, volume is the name of the game. Most any compressor can achieve the required pressure, the key is how long does it take to get up to that pressure and how often does it need to cycle.
There's really no way around CFM but if you're not continuously using air, you can get by with a little less.
For a 1/2" drive impact wrench and intermittent duty, you can get by with about 6 CFM and about 2 1/2 hp.
For tools that use air for longer periods of time, like some sanders, you need to step up your game.

In a slightly related story, a friend's father had a huge homemade compressor when I was a kid. That thing had a giant two cylinder compressor driven by about a 3 HP electric motor via a very large pulley. That thing ran slowly due to the huge reduction of the belt drive but the giant displacement of the compressor made up for the leisurely pace. The tank was probably 30" in diameter and 6' long. If empty, It took forever to bring it up to full pressure but once there, it rarely cycled. That thing ran like an old John Deere 2 cylinder tractor !

mroliver77
03-30-2021, 08:28 PM
I have an 5 hp 80 gallon compressor from Tractor supply. It runs my 1/2" impact just fine and after turning it up a little it runs a Coats 10/10 tire machine pretty well.

Handloader109
03-30-2021, 09:12 PM
If you pla. on using the impact wrench and die grinder any more than once in a while, I'd sell them and go electric. otherwise 5 hp compressor if you will really use them..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mal Paso
03-30-2021, 10:10 PM
A big used 1800 rpm motor, 2 stage from a time when 5HP pulled 28 amps would cover an air tool shop. High RPM, high duty cycle doesn't allow the heat to escape. There is no way to compress air without temperature gain. You can't get moisture out of hot air so water gets in your lines/tools. There are air chiller/dryers but it's cheaper to have a large compressor that is off more time than it is running.

I don't have room/budget for that so I have electric tools.

samari46
03-30-2021, 11:22 PM
Voltage supply is a consideration as well. 220-240 if you have it available.
Frank

redneck1
03-30-2021, 11:28 PM
I have the harbor freight 21 gallon compressor , I've used the crap out of it it will run air tools as long as you don't push it .

While its been good for the money , get something quiet . holy snarkle its loud . by loud I mean 115 decible loud .

Petrol & Powder
03-31-2021, 06:43 AM
.......... There is no way to compress air without temperature gain....... .

/\ Very True /\

Most 2 stage compressors at least attempt to improve efficiency by cooling the compressed air but there's only so much that can be done in that short period of time.
Heat robs the efficiency of the system. Some of the better old school compressors had large heat exchangers between the two stages, not just a little loop of pipe with fins but a large steel radiator that was cooled by a fan.
If you have the power, space (and money), a large compressor and tank helps to reduce that duty cycle.

bangerjim
03-31-2021, 01:18 PM
80 gallon vertical tank with a 5HP 2 stage compressor does everything I need for air tools. It is rated at around 12CFM at 90 PSI. But for small things like tires and small tools I use a pancake style diaphragm compressor feeding a 20 gallon propane tank for added volume. Works great.

But I still use electrics a bunch. Especially the quality LIon powered hand tools out these days. I never have to listen to the compressor noise and wait for it to fill up each time I use it. It's funny that no matter how you dope and seal ALL your connections, you always loose all the air over few days or weeks.

MaryB
03-31-2021, 02:20 PM
I was in the needed for hobby use and had to meet a budget place... 3.7hp, 11.5cfm at 90psi so it will run most air tools, 60 gallon tank so it doesn't cycle as often, 4 year warranty, yes only a single stage... I don't work it that hard. If I am going to b in the shop it is turn it on and it might cycle 3-4 times during a project. Had a friends Suburban in there last week for 4 corner brake job, new lines, new proportioning valve, then bleed everything. All 4 tires off at once and up on jack stands so the impact got a workout, compressor cycled once taking off all 4 tires.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200756209_200756209

David2011
04-01-2021, 04:01 AM
Based on what I’ve had since around 1995 I would get a very different compressor next time. My current one is a large portable horizontal model with a 25 gallon tank, 3600 rpm motor and oilless compressor. Even when I got it and was younger, it has always been cumbersome to move and it’s loud. OTOH, I’ve never used air faster than it could deliver. My tools include paint guns, air grinders, an air hammer, drill, ratchet and random orbital sander.

If/when I have to replace it, the next one will be a vertical portable on wheels with a 1750 rpm motor and a cast iron compressor. The horizontal just takes up too much space besides being so loud. When I had my new shop built (attached to the garage) I included provisions to put the noisy compressor in a storeroom in the garage.

Lloyd Smale
04-01-2021, 04:41 AM
80 gallon vertical tank with a 5HP 2 stage compressor does everything I need for air tools. It is rated at around 12CFM at 90 PSI. But for small things like tires and small tools I use a pancake style diaphragm compressor feeding a 20 gallon propane tank for added volume. Works great.

But I still use electrics a bunch. Especially the quality LIon powered hand tools out these days. I never have to listen to the compressor noise and wait for it to fill up each time I use it. It's funny that no matter how you dope and seal ALL your connections, you always loose all the air over few days or weeks.

im armed the same way. 5 hp verticle mounted one the roof of the loading room in the pole barn. Its hard piped all around the pole barn and in the reloading room. Then i have a pancake compressor for small jobs and its nice and poratable. my son in law just called me last week and said he had a flat and his spare was to low on air to use and he was 9 miles away on his way to work. I fired it up and filled it threw it in the jeep and went and aired his tire up.

john.k
04-01-2021, 07:09 AM
The OP wants a budget unit,presumably affordable tools.......which IMHO the 18/20v battery stuff aint.....a 2 1/2 hp .11 cfm approx chainstore compressor will run many different air tools costing around $50 for reasonable quality........I have a cheapie 11 cfm ,bought for $140 ,and its good enough to run a 3/4" IR rattle gun to remove the wheels off a big tractor........I do know compressors,having been a maintenance man ,and do have bigger gas engine units.........but ,would I buy another 11 cfm cheapie?...Yes.................one tip for the cheapies.......the tanks are thin hard steel,and can rust thru pretty quick......I recommend you add about 1/2 pt of oil into the tank and swill it all over the inside to stop rust.......Ive done it with mine.

Plate plinker
04-01-2021, 07:13 AM
Air tools are becoming a thing of the past. Also who likes dragging a hose around when you can be free to move around with battery power?

john.k
04-01-2021, 07:20 AM
I find the batteries on the end of a tool pretty clumsy .......often thought maybe battery in a small case,with a lead to the tool.....I have a couple of old 12v tools which run off a car battery with the old tool battery made into an adaptor for the power lead.

winelover
04-01-2021, 07:22 AM
Horizontal Craftsman 21 gallon, circa late 70's. Operates off of 220 volt. Yes, it's loud. Does what little I need to do with air tools. Constantly running any tool, will result in air starvation, till it recovers. My Star sizer is set up for air, in basement shop. Compressor is in garage. Fill up a portable 5 gallon tank, occasionally, to run the Star.

Winelover

Petrol & Powder
04-01-2021, 08:46 AM
The issue of money always seems to rear its ugly head. ;)

Pressure isn't too difficult to achieve but volume is a bit tougher. You can briefly compensate for this problem with a decent sized tank but you're just trading longer fill times for longer tool run times. If you're using a tool that has intermittent demand (like an impact wrench or a nail gun) you can use the capacity of the tank to get away with slightly less CFM from the compressor. But you have to pay the piper some time.
When you start using air faster than the compressor can deliver it, the compressor will just run continuously while the pressure decreases. Eventually you will get to a point where there isn't enough air to run the tool. At that point you have to stop and let the compressor catch up.

NOW, if you're a hobbyist, these momentary pauses are just annoying but not really worth spending hundreds of more dollars on.
(that's the money thing :wink: )

In a perfect world.............you could have a compressor that was capable of producing adequate pressure and more CFM than you could ever use. Some shops have that capability but it doesn't come cheap.

So we compromise and find an affordable unit that produces enough CFM to run the required tools at an acceptable duty cycle.

BJK
04-01-2021, 09:01 AM
Some battery powered tools are great and some not so much I find. I love B' powered drills and drivers, but the Makita impact wrench I bought is a heavy beast compared to my air impact. On the positive side of the ledger it's portable and that's the only reason I bought it. There are times when I wish I had more air available, but I bought a Makita portable compressor (5 or 10 gallon tank? I don't remember) and it works well since I don't work all that much. It's a 50% duty cycle and there are times that I push that.

One thing I would insist on is an oil lubed compressor.

Good luck with your search.

GregLaROCHE
04-01-2021, 11:29 AM
What’s the story on the Dewalt 20volt tools? Are they that different from Dewalt 18 volts tools? Is anything interchangeable, batteries charger?

lightman
04-01-2021, 12:34 PM
When I built my shop back in about year 2000 I bought a 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon one from the local parts store. It has a cast iron compressor and a commercial quality motor. Its overkill for a home shop but I'm bad about overkill.

MaryB
04-01-2021, 01:42 PM
When I built my shop back in about year 2000 I bought a 5hp 2 stage 80 gallon one from the local parts store. It has a cast iron compressor and a commercial quality motor. Its overkill for a home shop but I'm bad about overkill.

I thought I was going overkill then I thought abut it... I have a nice heated shop, concrete floor, all my friends do their car repairs in it(and usually leave me a $20 bill for rental). And I am doing some powder coating and needed a small sand blast cabinet that needed 10cfm... so the bigger compressor got ordered.

Mal Paso
04-02-2021, 01:41 AM
I thought I was going overkill then I thought abut it... I have a nice heated shop, concrete floor, all my friends do their car repairs in it(and usually leave me a $20 bill for rental). And I am doing some powder coating and needed a small sand blast cabinet that needed 10cfm... so the bigger compressor got ordered.

You need overkill for blasting. Water in the lines will plug up almost any media. I ran a 5 gallon pot with a 3.5 hp Speedair ..... barely. LOL

MrWolf
04-02-2021, 09:10 AM
I have a few tools laying around because they became obsolete when the batteries went. After awhile it starts to add up. Air tools do not need the constant upgrade. Thought about going the battery route but.... still thinking.

Petrol & Powder
04-02-2021, 11:43 AM
I have a few tools laying around because they became obsolete when the batteries went. After awhile it starts to add up. Air tools do not need the constant upgrade. Thought about going the battery route but.... still thinking.

/\ That is a big part of the equation and worth expanding on. /\

In the air verses electric debate, you're just trading one source of power for another. They both have pros and cons.

The self contained, battery powered devices have become prevalent. They have sufficient power, don't require a costly and separate air compressor and are not constrained by an air hose. However, the battery is large and bulky, has a finite life and many of the batteries are proprietary designs (at least the external case is).

Air tools require a compressor, a tank, an air hose and some maintenance. The tools themselves tend to be a bit lighter and have a long life but you're tethered to that compressor.

I look at it a little like the old shops and factories that had large overhead rotating shafts and power was supplied to equipment with big flat leather belts. Later that machinery would be converted to electrical power but the work didn't change.

Compressed air allows for the delivery of a lot of energy, which is why it was popular in shops where a central air compressor was feasible.
As electrically powered tools became more practical, they started to displace the older central air systems.

We now have more choices. Pick what works best for you.

MaryB
04-02-2021, 01:32 PM
The battery impact is great for small jobs. Mine will NOT do a 4 tire change without a battery swap. I ran Rapid Air lines around the shop so an air outlet is always nearby whatever I am doing. And I put one on the outside wall for filling tires, blowing the grass off the lawnmower etc. I have a closed cabinet next to it with an old air line and a blow gun and tire inflator stored in it so no need to run inside. All cheap so if stolen not out much.

MaryB
04-02-2021, 01:33 PM
You need overkill for blasting. Water in the lines will plug up almost any media. I ran a 5 gallon pot with a 3.5 hp Speedair ..... barely. LOL

This is a small bench top blast cabinet... I may upgrade though, have friends asking me to do rims...

MrWolf
04-02-2021, 07:00 PM
I bought the lil 1 gallon super quiet compressor for my inside the house workbench awhile back. Must say it does what I wanted it to do.

Mal Paso
04-02-2021, 07:53 PM
The battery impact is great for small jobs. Mine will NOT do a 4 tire change without a battery swap. I ran Rapid Air lines around the shop so an air outlet is always nearby whatever I am doing. And I put one on the outside wall for filling tires, blowing the grass off the lawnmower etc. I have a closed cabinet next to it with an old air line and a blow gun and tire inflator stored in it so no need to run inside. All cheap so if stolen not out much.

I have the 1400 ftlb Milwaukee with the 5 AH battery and 4 8 lug wheels barely put a dent in the charge. I bought the bare tool for $229 and a 5AH battery for $55 and I had the charger.

Trying to figure how to work the 3/8 ratchet into the budget.

The makita 1/4" hex driver is great for tearing down small engines, did Subaru heads with one.

jonp
04-02-2021, 08:38 PM
Wife bought me a Lowe's Kobalt for Christmas a few years ago and it has been good. Roofing, cement siding, lugnuts all no problem and I went down to a 1/4in line for ease of movement. Runs the air stapler to the bostich framing nailer with no problem

GregLaROCHE
04-03-2021, 01:38 AM
The one thing they haven’t figured out in battery tools is how to blowdown/clean sawdust etc. from surfaces. But I’m sure someone is working on it.

winelover
04-03-2021, 06:56 AM
They already have those...............it's called a leaf blower.:coffee:

Winelover

GregLaROCHE
04-03-2021, 08:07 AM
They already have those...............it's called a leaf blower.:coffee:

Winelover

Do they really have battery power leaf blowers now?!!!

jonp
04-03-2021, 05:41 PM
Do they really have battery power leaf blowers now?!!!

Heck yeah! I've seen a number of drivers carry them in the truck to blow out a trailer instead of sweep it. Recharge the batteries while driving