PDA

View Full Version : Mating Season in the Neighborhood!

Krag 1901
03-28-2021, 08:06 PM
I live in a typical suburban neighborhood, except for a couple of creeks the run thru it. My lot backs up to a Mormon Church that has a ball field and kind of a park behind it so the Turkeys in the neighborhood gather there in mating season. Today while taking time out from loading rounds for my Krag I sat on the patio and watched 6-7 Toms strut around for two hens that paid them no attention.

We must have several hundred turkeys in the area. The City put up Turkey Crossing signs in the areas where habitually they cross the roads! I've seen as many as 21 at one time in the ball field. My wife like to see the chicks running thru the grass when they are so short that all you can see are their heads above the long grass.

Spring has sprung!

Der Gebirgsjager
03-28-2021, 08:14 PM
When you walk across the ball field, be careful where you step! ;)

DG

Pipefitter
03-28-2021, 08:44 PM
When you walk across the ball field, be careful where you step! ;)

DG

If you see any "J" shaped tootsie rolls laying on the ground, don't pick them up for the young'uns........

LUCKYDAWG13
03-29-2021, 06:45 AM
same by me i have lived in same town 40 years last week saw Turkeys for first time in town 10 of them

10-x
03-29-2021, 06:54 AM
Will see lots of turkeys now, just wait til season opens, none to be seen. lol

FISH4BUGS
03-29-2021, 07:22 AM
Here in NH we feed them cracked corn. We have had as many as 50 in the yard at once.
And yes, watch out for the poop! I have tracked it into the house on more than one occasion.
The Toms are strutting their stuff and the girls are not impressed. They will start sitting on their nests shortly and we won't see so many girls, just the boys until later when the babies come out.

memtb
03-29-2021, 10:02 AM
My initial thought was..... you lived near the beaches in Florida! :bigsmyl2: memtb

waksupi
03-29-2021, 12:45 PM
Here in NH we feed them cracked corn. We have had as many as 50 in the yard at once.
And yes, watch out for the poop! I have tracked it into the house on more than one occasion.
The Toms are strutting their stuff and the girls are not impressed. They will start sitting on their nests shortly and we won't see so many girls, just the boys until later when the babies come out.

Around here, if you don't like a neighbor, you spread the cracked corn in THEIR yard!

Texas by God
03-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Just a few clicks from my wooden box call yesterday morning brought one hen, 3 jakes, and 2 strutting Toms to within 10 yards of the juniper tree I was standing behind.
Season starts next Saturday- they'll be elsewhere.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

10-x
03-29-2021, 02:46 PM

dale2242
03-30-2021, 08:45 AM
There is a pasture on the way to a rock pit were I shoot that has no turkeys before or after mating season.
I saw 30-40 of them in the field the other day in the field.
I have seen 100+ in that field during mating season.
I have seen that many together any were else.

farmbif
03-30-2021, 08:54 AM
I can hear the turkey's squacking out back, just can't see em in the high brush where they like to hang out. been thinking about putting up a corn feeder out in the open pasture, but that might just be illegal around here if one happens to get lead poisoning nearby.