PDA

View Full Version : range lead

redriverhunter
03-27-2021, 05:19 PM
I got some indoor range lead at a buck a pound. I got try and see how it goes. I will tell you all how much i netted after it cools some. does any one know what this is, it was a gray powder and did not melt but seemed heavy. 280295

Winger Ed.
03-27-2021, 05:25 PM
That's pretty common. Guys talk about that stuff that acts like heavy dirt but doesn't want to melt.

When I encounter it, I just have to toss it and move on.

heebs
03-27-2021, 05:52 PM
I believe it is dirt that was imbedded in the lead from hitting the backstop and stopping in the sand. Get a lot of that from berms. You're not losing any lead. Toss it and don't worry.

Huskerguy
03-27-2021, 06:37 PM
I get a lot of that stuff with indoor range lead. It just acts like plain ole dirt!

redriverhunter
03-27-2021, 08:11 PM
as best as i can tell bathroom scale said 67 pounds. I started with 104 pounds. The lead cost me 1.55 pound plus propane and gas getting it.

Winger Ed.
03-27-2021, 08:49 PM
Next time around, take a common, grocery store colander and sift out the dirt and little stuff.
Try to end up with only larger caliber, recognizable bullets.
Also, make a judgement call on how much to deduct for the jackets.
Then you'll be closer to the actual value of what you're buying.

farmbif
03-27-2021, 09:05 PM
I saw stuff like that at scrap yard that came from one particular range that only allows frangible training ammo. if that's what it is its some type of sintered metal that is not a lead alloy that is remeltable.

CScott
03-30-2021, 12:44 AM
I paid $50 each for 5 gal (120 lbs +/-) buckets of indoor range lead. After gas, propane, and selling the scrap jackets back to a recycler, it comes out to about $.55 for a 1 lb ingot. The alloy is 98.4%, Pb, 1.5% Sb, and 0.1% Sn which is ok as is for light pistol loads and great for alloying with "Superhard" or linotype.
I don't know what that grey "dirt" is either but I put it in with my iron recycling.
Scott

GregLaROCHE
03-30-2021, 08:16 AM
You find that dirt a lot with range scrap. I believe it’s a mix of fine and/oxidized lead. It’s not worth trying to get the lead out, just toss it, but be sure it’s not in the wrong place. Sifting and/or washing range scrap will save on propane. Even if there are small pieces of lead, it’s not worth it.

Range scrap is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are getting! The hardness can vary greatly depending on the range and even with different batches from the same range. If hardness is a big concern, you need to check each batch you melt.

PBaholic
04-01-2021, 10:21 PM
Throw some in a bucket, and wash it with the hose. Dirt will be easily displaced, and you can pour off the lighter stuff. Lead will stay on the bottom.

Use a propane torch to see what you've got, as it'll melt range lead.

Never throw wet lead into a hot pot!