PDA

View Full Version : Which tumbling media?

RickinTN
03-27-2021, 01:52 PM
Hello all,
I've been using Lyman corncob media for tumbling brass. I'm not pleased as it usually doesn't remove carbon stains and such. Assuming it's a dry method, which tumbling media do you recommend? I have recently seen reference to Harbor Freight Walnut shell media, and went to buy some the other day but they have 2 different grits and were out of the finer grit.
Open to suggestions you may have, and thanks for the help,
Rick

swamp
03-27-2021, 02:05 PM
I use walnut. You might try a construction tool and supplier. When I was delivering they hade large bags of it. If they have it, ask about broken bags.
swamp

45-70 Chevroner
03-27-2021, 02:41 PM
About the only thing that will remove carbon stain is steel wool. My friend uses stainless steel a d it won't remove carbon stain.

redneck1
03-27-2021, 02:53 PM
I go to a pet store and get a $4 bag of walnut lizard litter , then add a splash of mineral spirits and new finish wax/polish .
Everything I put in comes out bright n shiny .
And its cheap enough that you can change the media without regret whenever you feel like its time

Shuz
03-27-2021, 02:53 PM
Try soaking your brass for about ten minutes in a citric acid and water solution. (1 oz to 1 quart H2O). I use Lemi-Shine obtained at Wally World. I then place the wet cases upside down in a plastic sleeve with holes in it as comes from factory ammo .44 mag boxes,or use a 50 round loading block that has holes drilled in it. You can then either place the rack of brass over a furnace register, or blow dry with a hair dryer. Then use14/20 grit corncobs as sold by Cabelas and others in your tumbler to get nice clean shiny brass.

TNsailorman
03-27-2021, 03:19 PM
I wash my brass in one ot two cleaners. Either in ISSO or I sometimes use a general all purpose cleaner from WallyWorld such as Purple Power. I have used lizard litter for years in my tumbler. I make my own polishing liquid for the vibratory tumbler. I use 1/3 Nu Finish car polish mixed in with 2/3 odorless mineral spirits. I measure it by volumn. Shake well after mixing and use a cap or two full in each tumbler full of brass. Brass usually comes out looking very bright--better than new brass. If the inside carbon is not all removed on really dirty cases, I use some 4 ought steel wool on an appropriate sized wood dowel checked up into a hand drill. . Works for me. james

oley55
03-27-2021, 03:33 PM
About the only thing that will remove carbon stain is steel wool. My friend uses stainless steel a d it won't remove carbon stain.

If your friend is wet cleaning with stainless steel pins and it's not removing carbon, your friend is is not doing things right or long enough.

lesharris
03-27-2021, 03:40 PM
I tumble with SS pins,Dawn,Lemi-shine and water for b2-3 hours brass comes out spotless including the primer pockets.

444ttd
03-27-2021, 04:36 PM
I tumble with SS pins,Dawn,Lemi-shine and water for b2-3 hours brass comes out spotless including the primer pockets.

+2 fer me!!!!!!

Burnt Fingers
03-27-2021, 06:03 PM
I couldn't care less about carbon stains on my brass. As long as the dirt and grit are knocked off I'm happier than a hog in clover.

derek45
03-27-2021, 10:23 PM
I couldn't care less about carbon stains on my brass. As long as the dirt and grit are knocked off I'm happier than a hog in clover.

yep

tumble with media and a little nu-finish

run it thru the Dillon again

repeat

Paul D. Heppner
03-27-2021, 10:31 PM
I use a 50/50 mix of corn cob and walnut shells treated with a little red rouge. The walnut seems to knock the chunks and crud off and the corn cob puts the shine to the brass. It has worked for me for a lot of years. Every once in a while I add a few cc of mineral spirits and dryer sheet strips to keep the dust down.

45-70 Chevroner
03-28-2021, 01:55 AM

I agree with that.

trudd
03-28-2021, 08:26 AM
Whenever I get disappointed with how brass is looking coming out of the tumbler using walnut shells, another shot of the Lyman Turbo Brite in the bowl gets them all cleaned up.

bluebird66
03-28-2021, 10:17 AM
Have always used corn cob media, but whats in my Vibra-Shine is about shot so I'm going to try walnut shells.

RickinTN
03-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. I have Walnut shell Lizard bedding to try when I change over. I put a small splash of Nu-Finish in my corn cob media and ran some stained brass for a couple of hours. It came out shiny as I expected.
Thanks again,
Rick

Burnt Fingers
03-29-2021, 12:20 PM
Walnut shell is a good cleaning media, corn cob is a better polishing agent.

I use Nu-Finish cut 50/50 with REAL mineral spirits.

Gundogx2
03-29-2021, 01:57 PM
Used it all now I’m trying the stainless steel pins and Lyman cleaner does a bang up job everything seems to be shiny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castaway
03-29-2021, 02:14 PM
Before I found Harbor Freight walnut media, I tumbled my brass in rice. Cheap and does a good job

bishopgrandpa
03-29-2021, 03:30 PM
For rifle brass (I'm exclusive to the 45-70 ) so I don't use them by the 1000's I use Flitz. I took a washing machine motor, removed the belt pulley and while motor is running, put a file against the spindle to make it cone shaped to fit the mouth of the 45-70 casing. Put the brass on the spinning spindle and apply some Flitz (put some on a rag) then use a dry piece of the rag to wipe it off. They will look brand new. If you are using for large quantities of brass this may be a long and intensive way to clean your brass, but for small quantities it works great.

jaysouth
03-29-2021, 08:47 PM
If you use lizard litter from pet stores (crushed walnut media) it will last for years of you put in two dryer sheets with each batch and throw them away when the batch is finished.

RickinTN
03-29-2021, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the additional tip neighbor. I think I've tried it before but I'll give it another go. The Nu-Finish renewed my corn cob media very well.
Thanks again,
Rick

jaysouth
03-29-2021, 10:03 PM
I use walnut. You might try a construction tool and supplier. When I was delivering they hade large bags of it. If they have it, ask about broken bags.
swamp

Harbor Freight carries it in two different grits. Roughly $25 for 25 pounds. Team up with a couple of buddies.

RickinTN
03-29-2021, 10:06 PM
I actually bought 5 quarts from Amazon for $6 something. Not sure if that's a deal or not.
Rick

fastdadio
03-30-2021, 05:30 PM
I'm using corn cob media since I have a lot of it. It wasn't doing too well at getting the dark carbon stains off, so I added about 30% rough grit sand blasting silica sand media to the tumbler. Works great. I also use dryer sheets to collect the dusty stuff and they help a lot also.

AndyC
03-31-2021, 10:12 AM
What does mineral spirits do, exactly? I use both walnut and corn-cob + Nu-Finish, but I don't know what the addition of mineral spirits does.

RickinTN
03-31-2021, 10:22 AM
My guess is it dilutes the Nu-Finish to make it easier to mix in with the media. Putting the Nu-Finish in pure makes the media clump up and it takes a while for it to get into the media evenly. This is only my guess, of course.
Rick

TNsailorman
03-31-2021, 11:26 AM
Nu Finish puts the shine on the brass. Mineral Spirits soaks the burned carbon, corrosion and dirt off the brass. My method does not get the brass quite as clean inside as the steel pins but it does put a better shine on them. I tried it both ways and ended up selling my steel pin set up. my experience anyway, james

AndyC
03-31-2021, 12:24 PM
Aha - thanks!

fastdadio
03-31-2021, 07:22 PM
What does mineral spirits do, exactly? I use both walnut and corn-cob + Nu-Finish, but I don't know what the addition of mineral spirits does.

I add mineral spirits to help dissolve the case lube off the cases.

dondiego
04-01-2021, 10:36 AM
Spirits also helps reduce any dust.