PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Taurus 692?

chutestrate
03-27-2021, 11:20 AM
I'm doing some reading and it looks like it might be worth picking up. I'm not a taurus fan but the revolvers aren't too bad.

engineer401
03-27-2021, 08:44 PM
I have one with the three-inch barrel. It's ported but the noise doesn't bother me. It's a Tracker so it acts like the 627. It's smooth and easy to shoot. It's not a Smith but neither is the price. It makes a good Jeep or truck gun. It's also a good plinker. The only gripe I have is the grip. Hogue makes a nice over molded one that fits well. I like mine just fine.

Petrol & Powder
03-28-2021, 10:50 AM
I played in the Taurus sandbox years ago. I now refuse to play in the Taurus sandbox. You can get a good one or a bad one. It's just not worth the time and money to me to roll the dice.
YMMV

I've had Taurus pistols and revolvers, and had slightly better luck with the revolvers but even that edge isn't enough for me.
The amount of money you save just isn't enough of draw and frankly, a good used S&W or Ruger revolver is likely a better value.
The last Taurus pistol I played with belonged to a friend. It was brand new and total junk.

I've seen several old Model 85's hold up well but I just don't think the potential savings of a new Taurus offsets the potential risks of getting a lemon.

rintinglen
03-28-2021, 05:50 PM
I have a Taurus Tracker, which I believe to be the fore runner of the 692. Mine is a 44 Magnum, but is otherwise similar. It has given me good service, and though not as accurate as some guns I own, it does alright, 3-5" at 25 yards. It is potent and were it not for the porting, I would not care to shoot it save in the gravest extreme. I like the 692 concept with its multicaliber capability. But I already have plenty of wheel guns.

FergusonTO35
03-28-2021, 08:41 PM
I'm impressed with my $220.00 856. A Wolff spring kit and a little massaging by the gunsmith and it shoots as good as any other .38 I have tried, I still have less than $300.00 total in it. I think the .38 and .357 revolvers are Taurus' best products and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.