PDA

View Full Version : Flashing on the boolit base

Gundogblue
03-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Hi all,
I just got done casting some boolits for the .45 acp, I’m useing an NOE .454-237 mould and size them to .452. After I sized them I noticed many had a very thin flashing on the boolit base. It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit. I think I can easily remove it by very lightly rubing the boolit base on a sheet of sand paper, they’re so thin I don’t think it would take more than one or two passed to knock them off the boolit. My question is should I even remove them? And what causes them?

Ed_Shot
03-27-2021, 10:21 AM
What is your alloy and what sizer are you using?

243winxb
03-27-2021, 10:23 AM
What is the as cast bullet diameter? Seem like the alloy is very soft and bullets over sized, as cast. To much sizing down? This one is new to me.

Remove the thin flashing. It does not belong there.

NOE molds are regulated for wheel weights. WW are very soft compared to #2 alloy. The lead is going to move when sized.

In fact, on firing, i have seen a flat base 45 acp bullet base become deformed using soft alloys. No good for 50 yard accuracy.

matrixcs
03-27-2021, 10:30 AM
the most likely cause is the space between the sprue plate and mold which will allow a slight flange to form on the bottom. Sizing them moves the flange causing the condition.. if your bullets have good lube or powder coat they are not going to cause any issues as they are. Just my opinion as a 45 shooter...

Gundogblue
03-27-2021, 11:00 AM
I’m using 9 lbs wheel weights and 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, the boolits come out of the mould at .4535, and .454. I’m sizing them right down to a .452, I have a .453 size die, maybe I should size them in steps, put them through the .453 size die first, then put them through the .452 size die ? And I’m using a Lee .452 size die.
Thanks,
Paul

243winxb
03-27-2021, 11:25 AM
I would think its a sizing die problem? The start of the die may need more taper as the cast bullet enters? Sizing down .0025" is not a problem with my Lyman sizers. I have 1 new 9mm Lee sizer that has no problem sizing from .358" down to .3567"

Wait and see what others think, before modifing the die. Dies are hard to find these days.

243winxb
03-27-2021, 11:29 AM
You are lubing the bullets before sizing, in a LEE Die? Alox? Or someting else. I just sized some 9mm with RCBS 2 case sizing lube. Worked well. The RCBS lube washes off in water with a drop of Dawn. Need clean bullet for oven heat treating, water cool harding.

Do not use RCBS 2 as a bullet lube.

Gundogblue
03-27-2021, 12:21 PM
No, I’m sizing them dry, could that be the problem?

BMW Rider
03-27-2021, 12:24 PM
No, I’m sizing them dry, could that be the problem?

Mine do exactly what you describe when sized unlubed.

243winxb
03-27-2021, 12:26 PM
Yes. Sizing requires lube. Clean the sizing die well, to remove any lead build up. Prelube * sizing die before putting bullets in. Start over with lubed bullets.. The Alox is applied before and after sizing in a Lee die.

https://support.leeprecision.net/en/knowledgebase Enter in search "Alox"

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/oven-heat-treating-cast-bullets-water-cooled-to-harden-alloy-must-contain-2-antimony-minimum.3749/full

Do not use RCBS 2 as a bullet lube.

Conditor22
03-27-2021, 12:28 PM
Hi all,
I just got done casting some boolits for the .45 acp, I’m useing an NOE .454-237 mould and size them to .452. After I sized them I noticed many had a very thin flashing on the boolit base. It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit. I think I can easily remove it by very lightly rubing the boolit base on a sheet of sand paper, they’re so thin I don’t think it would take more than one or two passed to knock them off the boolit. My question is should I even remove them? And what causes them?

9 lbs wheel weights and 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, ==== apr 12.7 bhn

It’s almost like after they went though the sizer a very thin bit of lead not as thick as a piece of paper formed at the bottom edge of the boolit is the flashing like lead was moved off the side of the boolit and formed a thin cup on the bottom? IF so are you seeing this on the lube grooves?

Lee sizing dies are known to run small in size, what size are your sized boolits?

Are you using the right-sized pushrod to size these boolits?

Your sizing die might be a little rough inside, try polishing it with fine-grit wet/dry sandpaper (800-1200 grit) or some fine polishing compound.