PDA

View Full Version : Ported barrel shooting n the wad slugs

JAMESGR
03-26-2021, 10:23 PM
First post here. I've been reading for several months and have learned a LOT.
I picked up a Rem 870 12 gauge fully rifled barrel in about 2006-7 and put a Red Dot on it, and of course in 2008 had to buy a slug mold so I got a Lyman in the wad 12 gauge sabot mold. Well, may as well get the 20 gauge slug mold from them at the same time. Save shipping.
This Wednesday, for the 1st time I cast 12 ga. slugs with my new mold (2008). I filled the base with hot glue and let that cure.
So, today for the 1st time I loaded the slugs.
And today for the 1st time I shot the 870.
Two were loaded in Fed 3" hulls w/pbw using a BPGS under a WAA12R wads. SR4756 powder 43 grains. Recoil.....stout.
Two were loaded in Fed 2 3/4" hulls w/pbw and a WAA12R wad. Herco powder weight is written down in the shop. Recoil strong
One was loaded in a Fed 2 3/4" hull w/pbw and a WAA12F114 wad. Unique powder. I used data for a 1 1/4 lead shot load. Recoil ok
It was fun.

I'm thinking about buying a rifled barrel for my Mossberg 500 20 gauge and mostly found ported fully rifled barrels for sale.
Is anyone using a ported fully rifled barrel with in the wad slugs??
Will the porting effect the wad/slug combo when exiting the barrel and hurt the accuracy of the slug.
I normally cast for 38 Spl and .357 mag.
But y'all are having so much fun....
Thank y'all
JAMES
JAMESGR

centershot
03-26-2021, 10:41 PM
Hello James, welcome to the forum! I use a 12 ga. M500, rifled w/ porting, doesn't hurt my accuracy at all. All shots are touching at 50 yds.

JAMESGR
03-26-2021, 11:03 PM
centershot, that's a awesome group. my first two with sr4756 were 2 3/4" and next two were 1" with herco both about 8" high these at 25 yds.
and the last one I shot into one of the r.r. ties i use for a backstop from 25 yds. using unique, completely buried the slug. amazed me.
I'll admit shooting the slugs today was as much fun as shooting my 686 .357
Which slugs do you use in your 12 ga.??
Thank you for the info. I'll think better about getting a ported barrel now.
JAMES
JAMESGR

toallmy
03-27-2021, 01:01 AM
I get plastic build up in my ported rifled mod 500 after 25-30 rounds of stout loads, it affects the group .

tomme boy
03-27-2021, 04:11 AM
Lyman does not make the 20ga sabot anymore. You would have to get it from the Russian mold makers. I shot a very large amount of the Lyman 20ga. It is very temperamental. The best I ever got with it was 4.25" at 100. You have to use new hulls or 1x fired. Or the crimp will suffer and you will get wild velocity spreads.

JAMESGR
03-27-2021, 08:51 AM
toallmy, thanks for the comment, that"s why I ask the question. Someone comment in the archives that results with ported barrels was poor. Although "centershot" is having good results, maybe he'll comment on plastic build up. Is the plastic build up removed with a regular cleaning ???? solvent and brass brushing???

tomme boy, I got the mold in about 2008, just never used it. I read current comments and those in the archives that the 20 ga Lyman sabot can be ag-ro-va-ting to group. Are you shooting 20 ga. slugs from a ported or non-ported rifled barrel???

Petrol & Powder
03-27-2021, 09:47 AM
I HATE ported barrels. And I HATE muzzle brakes.

I can maybe see a ported barrel on some competition gun where it is configured as a compensator to reduce muzzle flip.
I can accept muzzle brakes on artillery pieces and main guns on tanks.....

Other than that, barrels should have ONE hole that extends from the breach to the muzzle.

While a ported barrel may not harm accuracy, it certainly doesn't add any usefulness. I don't know where the obsession started but I suspect there was some alcohol involved.
I envision a couple of guys sitting around, drinking beer near a milling machine or drill press, when one of them says, "You know what would make this barrel better" ? , " More holes ! ".

centershot
03-27-2021, 11:12 AM
centershot, that's a awesome group. my first two with sr4756 were 2 3/4" and next two were 1" with herco both about 8" high these at 25 yds.
and the last one I shot into one of the r.r. ties i use for a backstop from 25 yds. using unique, completely buried the slug. amazed me.
I'll admit shooting the slugs today was as much fun as shooting my 686 .357
Which slugs do you use in your 12 ga.??
Thank you for the info. I'll think better about getting a ported barrel now.
JAMES
JAMESGR

James, click the link....

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?369800-Centershot-Sabots&highlight=centershot+sabots

longbow
03-27-2021, 11:58 AM
Hahaha!

I HATE ported barrels. And I HATE muzzle brakes.

...when one of them says, "You know what would make this barrel better" ? , " More holes ! ".

or "Hold my beer and watch this?"

I agree, never figured out the porting thing. Different strokes I guess.

Longbow

243winxb
03-27-2021, 12:15 PM
Mossberg 500, ported , rifled , no issue with my 12 ga Lee slug loads. Shot 35 rounds with no loss of accuracynfrom plastic build up.

Use a solvent that removes plastic, like Hoppies BenchRest solvent.

What hurts accurcy, is when a petal gets cut off on firing. That round becomes a flyier.

toallmy
03-27-2021, 12:27 PM
The first time I noticed the burnt wad build up in the ported section of the rifled barrel was after watching my groups go crazy . I have shot shotguns all my life and have had very little trouble with plastic residue from wads , even out of rifled slug barrels , but this ported one gets a nasty buildup right in the ported section if I shoot my Herco load . The first time I noticed the buildup I was shocked because I have used this rifled slug barrel for probably 15 years or more without a problem .
I wouldn't hesitate buying another rifled slug barrel with a ported barrel , but I'd keep a eye on it .

JAMESGR
03-27-2021, 03:07 PM
If you were buying a rifled slug barrel, would you want a new one or take a used one??????????
centershot your other post is a interesting read, thanks
Thanks and thanks for all of the comments.
JAMES
JAMESGR

243winxb
03-27-2021, 03:46 PM
I bought new. I see the prices went up. https://www.mossberg.com/store/500-12-gauge-slug-barrel-with-cantilever-mount-24-matte-6-shot-92256.html

toallmy
03-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Availability & price would influence my buying a new or used barrel . Here is a example when Winchester came out with them BRI slugs I purchased 3 new slug barrels for myself and 2 young brothers and they all shot differently . Mine was the most picky I spent more on slugs to test than I did for that barrel .

tomme boy
03-28-2021, 01:10 AM
I was using a regular rifled barrel on a Mossberg 500 and a Sagia ak 20ga. I sent out to have screw in chokes installed. Then had a Carlson extended rifled choke tube. That shot better than the 500.

JAMESGR
03-28-2021, 02:33 PM
Thank Y'all for the input
JAMES

Mike Robinson
03-28-2021, 09:44 PM
I have two 12 gauge Mossberg 500 with rifled ported barrels, and two Remington 870 with rifled non-ported barrels made by Mossberg. All are scoped, and I can easily shoot less than 2” groups from a bench at 50 yards with the Lyman sabot slug. The porting doesn’t seem to affect the accuracy. I use 2 3/4” Federal or Cheddite clear plastic hulls, 35 grains of Longshot, X12X, 3/8” waxed card, Federal 12S4 shotcup (cut from wad) with .035” 16 ga hard card in wad, and cast Lyman sabot slug.

JAMESGR
03-29-2021, 09:42 AM
I bit the "slug" and got a 24" ported rifled barrel from fleabay. Going on a Mossberg 500 20 gauge 2 3/4 & 3" chamber. This will be fun.
Thank Y'all for the input.
JAMES
JAMESGR

W.R.Buchanan
03-29-2021, 02:27 PM
I have a 24" Rifled Barrel with sights for my M500 it shoots OK. My hasting Rifled barrel for my A5 shoots fantastic.

STI Slugs at 50 yards with open sights. First three shots were the cloverleaf

Randy

JAMESGR
03-29-2021, 07:46 PM
W.R. Buchanan, if those are one piece slugs, where are you getting them???
If not one piece where are you getting the components?????
Awesome group!!!!!!!! Awesome looking slug.
I have a red dot on my 870 12 gauge, and will put one on the Mossberg 20 gauge.
'cause Annie Oakley's brother I ain't.
Thanks for the reply
AND thank Y'all for pics and links.
JAMES
JAMESGR

W.R.Buchanan
03-29-2021, 09:32 PM
James: those are STI sabots with my turned brass inserts (non toxic for CA) I also have a mould for Lead Inserts for these sabots.

Goto www.slugsrus.com

They really work well and are very accurate. Best I've done so far on my ongoing Expedition into the land of the Slugs.

These can be loaded from mild to wild. Mine are on the mild side with 23 gr of Unique around 1200-1250 fps. The slug and sabot weigh 550 gr. The one with the Lead Insert is right at 500 gr.

Randy

Y-man
03-30-2021, 03:01 AM
Hi James! Annie Oakley's Brother was reputed as a terrible shot! So maybe you have something going there! :bigsmyl2:

I have a 24" Ported Barrel on my M500-A, I shoot mainly re-loaded Lyman and a 15mm Socket Slug of my own making... I have never had issues with plastic fouling...

https://youtu.be/GCeX5vvQO9g

JAMESGR
03-30-2021, 03:28 PM
W.R. Buchanan, I checked out you site. Those are impressive. I'm not roll crimping yet, may have to start. I noticed a lot of things are out of stock So I'll keep an eye on your site.
Thank you for your reply
JAMES
JAMESGR

JAMESGR
03-30-2021, 03:45 PM
Y-man, thanks for the video. Awesome, anyone that shoots slugs from a prone position is "THE MAN". Your home made slugs are ingenious, accurate too.
I watched a video you posted several months ago and wondered why I couldn't find any more.
I cast some 20 gauge Lyman sabot slugs today and there is protruding ring about 1/8" from the bottom of the skirt. I'm going to start a new thread about that hope you comment on that. Oh, the Lyman 12 gauge sabot doesn't do this.
Thank you, glad to know you are still shooting and having fun.
JAMES
JAMESGR