PDA

View Full Version : A bit of perspective!

Burnt Fingers
03-26-2021, 12:28 PM
I went out to cast some boolits for the first time in almost six months.

The first mold I used was a new to me H&G six cavity #249. As expected it casts awesome boolits. It is a bit, no a lot heavy. When I was done with that I went to a SAECO four cavity. It seemed light as a feather after that H&G monster.

I only bought that H&G because of the unusual boolit. I'll get some pics of them up later today.

I might have to seen if we can get a group buy on a lighter mold for that boolit.

beagle
03-26-2021, 12:48 PM
Nothing like the casting quality of a fine H&G. Just have to abide by the weight. I cast one summer with a big gang H & G mould for .38s. Looked like Popeye that fall with big muscles but it made good bullets and really drained the pot quick./beagle

Burnt Fingers
03-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Here's that #279 out of the H&G.

Land Owner
03-27-2021, 05:09 AM
Been casting the tiny 22 Bator by the thousands from an aluminum 2cav Lee mold. Took out a brass 4cav Mihec 38/357 "Thompson-Keith" HP mold for its first run. That beast is heavy but a Cadillac by comparison.

smithnframe
03-27-2021, 05:20 AM
Here's that #279 out of the H&G.

What alloy are you using.......why are they so dark? Looks like oxidation.

dverna
03-27-2021, 05:49 AM
I used to cast with a 10 cavity H&G. Just too much for me now. If I had been smarter, I would have purchased a Master Caster as soon as I decided I wanted to cast. I have one now. Nice to turn out 400 bullets an hour without a lot of effort. The only downside to the Master Caster is the limited mold selection and no HP's. But for target and plinking bullets, it makes a lot of sense.

Burnt Fingers
03-27-2021, 06:07 PM
What alloy are you using.......why are they so dark? Looks like oxidation.

My alloy is a96-2-2, they are dark because they have Hi-Tek on them. It's supposed to be violet, but in five batches I've never gotten violet out of it.

sierra1911
04-04-2021, 01:23 PM
I used to cast with a 10 cavity H&G. Just too much for me now. If I had been smarter, I would have purchased a Master Caster as soon as I decided I wanted to cast. I have one now. Nice to turn out 400 bullets an hour without a lot of effort. The only downside to the Master Caster is the limited mold selection and no HP's. But for target and plinking bullets, it makes a lot of sense.

Burnt Fingers, you just need to cast a few thousand with a 10-banger and the 6 will also feel light as a feather. Just like when I shot my trusty 300 Win Mag after nine 500 grain 458 Win Mag factory rounds from a Ruger No. 1. Checked the bore of the 300 for a squib after the first and 2nd rounds!

lightman
04-05-2021, 09:00 AM
If I had been smarter, I would have purchased a Master Caster as soon as I decided I wanted to cast. I have one now.

I have a couple of buddies that come over to cast. We set up on my work bench in the shop and we talk and visit while we cast. The conversation always comes around to why we didn't go in and buy a casting machine 30 years ago. But I do get a certain amount of pleasure from making a perfect bullet by hand!

LenH
04-05-2021, 09:11 AM
I have an 8 cavity & a 6 vavity and both are pot drainers for sure and for certain. I usually keep the 8 cavity to 2 pot full and then I tap out for a while.