PDA

View Full Version : Winchester price increases

dverna
03-26-2021, 09:05 AM
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/winchester-announces-price-increases-for-ammo-including-backorders/

Primers up 25% and no longer taking orders....interesting.

Froogal
03-26-2021, 09:21 AM
25% price increase is not too hard to swallow. I don't like it, but I'll accept it.

As far as NOT taking orders, I imagine they are trying to fill the orders they already have before accepting any NEW orders.

Ed K
03-26-2021, 09:48 AM
Purchased a few months back @ $50/K. Probably did OK as I don't know we'll ever see $25-30 again

dverna
03-26-2021, 10:24 AM
IMO. the backlog is not as bad as they want us to believe. It is the excuse to get a 25% price increase for the short term...and I do not blame them when primers are over $150/k. There seems little in the raw materials to justify a 25% increase.

Vendors are placing orders with every supplier hoping to get some primers. If they want to buy 20 million, the same order does out to CCI, Federal, Winchester etc. They have neither the cashflow or market to take 20 million from everyone they "ordered" from and cancel the order once they get what they need.

BTW, I am not going to change my shooting because primers get to $50/k. Even if someone shoots 10k rounds a year, it is a cost increase of $200. Not a big deal IMO. I plan on stocking back up at that price.

sparky45
03-26-2021, 10:55 AM
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/winchester-announces-price-increases-for-ammo-including-backorders/

Primers up 25% and no longer taking orders....interesting.

Well, I didn't see that one coming. "sarcasm off".

Bmi48219
03-26-2021, 11:46 AM
The Winchester letter doesn’t mention an increase for 22 LR ammo. I wonder why the “increased costs for manufacturing ammunition” they note as a justification for the price bumps doesn’t apply to anything smaller than 22 magnum.

samari46
03-27-2021, 12:52 AM
What with sellers on various auction houses getting outrageous $$$ for powder and primers isn't difficult to see Winchester wanting a piece of the action. Guess that could be the reason foe Winchesters price increase. Frank

dverna
03-27-2021, 09:06 AM
There has been a lot of chatter about the “new normal” for primers. The significance of this information is that it will be quite reasonable once supply meets demand.

People can only stockpile so much ammunition and primers. Especially at the stupid prices we have now. So normal will return.

Remember last year when toilet paper shelves were empty? And that stuff was cheap to hoard.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2021, 09:12 AM
Considering supply and demand, a 25% increase isn't that much in the short term. But in the long term? it really depends on what Legislation is to come. The new normal? you'd need a crystal ball to predict that.

Tripplebeards
03-27-2021, 09:26 AM
The only things I use Winchester are 209 primers for a muzzle loader load a probably have enough to outlast the discontinued TC 300 grain saber combo. I also buy 3.5”, #5 10 gauge turkey loads when Federal aren’t around. I forgot I do buy the $21 per hundred shot gun cheap trap loads. Guess I can deal with $25 per 100 trap loads. The rest of their ammo I don’t buy as I reload. Tried a couple boxes of Winchester 22 WMR and had fail to fires in over a third of each box. Had 7 other tropes of ammo I tried the same day with zero FTF’s. Winchester had me send it in for testing. They confirmed there were primer issues and refunded my $$$. Not a fan of Winchester ammo but like their 209 primers and cheap trap loads.

TimD
03-27-2021, 09:46 AM
I expect no less given the current state of politics and demand. There are risks and opportunities for the manufacturers. The hard part is balancing them. The country has been through worse, thankfully not in my lifetime.

Froogal
03-27-2021, 09:50 AM
There has been a lot of chatter about the “new normal” for primers. The significance of this information is that it will be quite reasonable once supply meets demand.

People can only stockpile so much ammunition and primers. Especially at the stupid prices we have now. So normal will return.

Remember last year when toilet paper shelves were empty? And that stuff was cheap to hoard.

Our last two trips to the grocery store revealed toilet paper actually being on sale once again.

Bmi48219
03-27-2021, 01:23 PM

Prior to the run on paper products I purchased Bounty Basic paper towels at local stores in a six pack for $4.97. Now that they are again plentiful the best price I can find is $7.97, roughly a 40% increase. Most household items that were unavailable then and are now well stocked increased in price 30-40%.
No one can convince me the cost to manufacture and ship these items increased that much in less than a year.
I can accept a general 10% increase in ammo prices, although I refuse to believe it results from increased raw material and / or production costs. Excluding 22 LR I don’t purchase ammo. If 10% is the acceptable price bump, a 25% increase on primers is even less justifiable IMO.
These increases are difficult to swallow but as others have said, not unbearable, as long as they don’t precede a general ammo tax.

reddog81
03-27-2021, 03:30 PM
How much does Winchester charge for a primer? $.02? A 25% increase is insignificant won’t even be noticed at retail. Wholesalers, distributors and retailers have all raised prices so it’s not too surprising the manufacturers are.

white eagle
03-27-2021, 03:38 PM
I am afraid inflation on primers is not the only increase we are going to see
with Beijing Joe at the helm inflation and taxes along with their buddy regulation are
just waking up

Froogal
03-27-2021, 04:32 PM
I am afraid inflation on primers is not the only increase we are going to see
with Beijing Joe at the helm inflation and taxes along with their buddy regulation are
just waking up

If Beijing Joe has his way with the 2nd amendment, none of us will have any need for primers.

Burnt Fingers
03-27-2021, 05:54 PM
How much does Winchester charge for a primer? $.02? A 25% increase is insignificant won’t even be noticed at retail. Wholesalers, distributors and retailers have all raised prices so it’s not too surprising the manufacturers are.

Street price just over a year ago was $30/1000 or $150 a case. That's now going to be $187.50. That's a pretty stiff price increase.

DavidB56
03-27-2021, 10:30 PM
Now toilet paper is almost 1$ a roll. It hasn't come down. I would like to find LRP for 50$ per thousand.

tomme boy
03-28-2021, 12:45 AM
Copper is at a near all time high. 2011 it was $4.62 right now it is $4.29. I have not checked lead or zinc but I am sure it is up.

Randy Bohannon
03-28-2021, 01:59 AM
Gov. has printed $6T in fake money and ready to do another 3-5 $T “infrastructure “ bill. What do you think happens when your Gov. does this ? You haven’t seen nothing yet, 25% across the board for everything is on tap the next 12 mos.

uscra112
03-28-2021, 02:14 AM
Gov. has printed $6T in fake money and ready to do another 3-5 $T “infrastructure “ bill. What do you think happens when your Gov. does this ? You haven’t seen nothing yet, 25% across the board for everything is on tap the next 12 mos.

^^^ THIS ^^^

At this point, converting your money into tangible goods - ANY tangible goods - is a wise move.

Bird
03-28-2021, 03:19 AM
There are even more massive price increases on everything due in the near future. Oil production here in the US has been cut back with a great many layoffs. When the economy picks up speed again, demand will far outstrip supply, and you will see gasoline and fuels at $6 or more a gallon, and prices for everything will rise accordingly.
If you don't believe me, just wait a little.

David2011
03-28-2021, 03:23 AM
A good friend delivers chemicals to the Illinois Winchester ammunition manufacturing plant on a regular basis. His last delivery, a couple of days ago, the ONLY thing in the warehouse was 8 gauge shotgun shells.