PDA

View Full Version : Another Herters 234 Turret press

abunaitoo
03-26-2021, 02:19 AM
Not sure why I did it, but I won another Herters 234 turret press off of evilbay.
This one has the handles and primer set-up.
Picture is how it was posted.

smithnframe
03-26-2021, 06:23 AM
Hefty looking brute!

Green Frog
03-26-2021, 02:14 PM
A friend of a friend had his drilled with more holes, spaced between the originals, so his had twice the original number of die stations. Apparently it was a perfectly simple set up and after about 3 decades or so is still working admirably. That's the main reason I would want to own one of these! :mrgreen:

Froggie

abunaitoo
03-27-2021, 04:38 AM
It puts the newer turret presses to shame.

eastbank
03-29-2021, 06:17 PM
i bought a shell holder adapter to use rcbs shell holders, i think it was 14-15 dollars when i bought it. it swaps out to my two hollywood univerial 12 hole presses

abunaitoo
03-31-2021, 02:39 AM
I have an extra universal shell holder someplace.
It's taking so long to get here.
Shipped fedx.
Paid Mar 18.
Suppose to be here Apr 14.

44magLeo
04-01-2021, 07:41 PM
I just got a 234. it came with 11 different shell holders so I don't think I need the adapter. Found it at a pawn shop for not a bad price and came with a lot of extras.
I have a thread about it.
Leo

Green Frog
04-03-2021, 12:02 PM
I just got a 234. it came with 11 different shell holders so I don't think I need the adapter. Found it at a pawn shop for not a bad price and came with a lot of extras.
I have a thread about it.
Leo

Hey Leo, I don’t guess one of those shell holders would be a #25 (32 S&W size) is it. I’ve got a bunch of other sizes to trade if you need, but for whatever reason I can’t seem to corral that one! :?

Froggie

abunaitoo
04-03-2021, 09:27 PM
It seems to be stuck in a commie state on the west coast.
been there for the last few days.
Sure hope it gets moving again.

richhodg66
04-03-2021, 10:42 PM
I have a couple of Herters and a Lachmiller which use the old shell holders. I did get an adapter, but truth be told, the old ones are niether hard to find or all that expensive if you're patient.

I have to admit here and now to never having used a turret press, but this is the second thread about these ones in just a few days with many guys raving about them. Serious question, what makes this one better than say a Lyman All American?

Pressman
04-04-2021, 12:04 PM
Price, Herter's was cheaper. Strength, Herter's is cast iron.
Herter's has a better primer system.
Herter's has a semi effective primer catcher, Lyman has none.
There's no difference in force applied to the ram, both are 4 to 1.
Lyman was in the catalog for 21 years.

Green Frog
04-06-2021, 04:08 PM
The only real point of contention with either the Herter’s 234 or the Lyman All American is that both use (different) proprietary shell holders, and if you want to prime on press, using adaptors for RCBS type shell holders introduces a whole new set of challenges. As Ken mentioned, both will probably spread spent primers around your shop floor, but I just consider that part of the “cost of doing business.” Both presses are sufficiently strong for all but the most extreme sizing, and while the AA is the one I use now, if I were”forced” to switch to the 234, it wouldn’t bother me at all.

Of course it should be noted that neither would be all that appropriate for bullet swaging beyond the simple sizing available with Lee or NOE type dies. Then again, I wouldn’t try serious bullet swaging on any turret press.

Froggie

abunaitoo
04-09-2021, 04:43 AM
Not made for swaging and probably case forming.
But will resize fine.
It's still stuck in that commie state on the west coast.
I sure hope it get moving soon.
I know it's not happy there.
I know I wouldn't be.

abunaitoo
04-15-2021, 04:05 AM
It was suppose to be here today.
Now it telling me 4/28. I hope it 2021 and not 2022.
Was sent fedex.
I guess USPS is not so bad after all.

Green Frog
04-15-2021, 10:28 AM
I don’t use FedEx very much... mostly because their store is inconvenient for me to reach. Truth to tell though, I’ve had pretty good results with them (coming and going) so maybe I should make the extra effort. :Bright idea:

Froggie

abunaitoo
04-16-2021, 02:43 AM
I've never sent anything with fedex, but have gotten a few.
They are slower that ups.

rboeser
04-16-2021, 09:15 PM
Not as slow as the USPS. I mailed my last purchases from the swapping and selling area on the 6th and it is now the 16th and my priority mail is going in circles between two post offices. I stopped by the local post office and they told me I had to wait 60 days to file a claim. No recourse whatsoever. All this after price increases. I can't even mail my payments by mail anymore, you never know when it will arrive. I'm now forced to use online payments and it scares me terribly.

Green Frog
04-17-2021, 10:01 AM
The USPS seems to be recovering a little bit. I had a Christmas ornament stay around the outskirts of Chicago for about a month. It finally got to me just in time for New Years. It kept showing as “Arriving Late” but it stayed at one airport or another for about a month. I began to wonder whether a black hole had opened at O’Hare airport and the guv’mint was keeping it a secret!

abunaitoo
04-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Now I'm getting a message that it will be delivered by usps.
What a mess.
I just hope it get to me.

Green Frog
04-18-2021, 08:05 AM
“All things come to him who waits.” I did have my Christmas ornament in time for Easter! :wink:

Froggie

abunaitoo
04-28-2021, 05:15 AM
Surprise, surprise, surprise.
After a long wait, it came today.
Paid on 3/18 and got it today 4/27.
No damage.
I forgot how heavy this thing is.
It's in better condition than it looked in the posting.
Paint in good condition.
Even has the primer arm, and a shell holder, 30.06.
Needs a little cleaning and lubing.
I'm happy with it.

Pressman
04-28-2021, 10:10 AM
Congratulations, the long wait comes to a happy ending.

We need pictures when you have it set-up and running.

Ken

Green Frog
04-28-2021, 10:47 AM
It probably took the USPS that long to find someone who could lift it! :kidding:

Glad you finally got it though. For some reason that’s about the only “normal” Herter’s press I’ve never had the opportunity to buy. From what I know of them though, they seem to be versatile, and from the weight, they have to be pretty stout. Congrats on a good acquisition.

Froggie

danomano
04-28-2021, 11:28 AM
These presses are great!!!, see my Avatar. Congrats on yours. I actually sold the one in my pic to my father in-law for a dollar...He needed it more than I did at the time. Then I missed it and got another one that needs to be freshened up. I don't bother with the shell holder adaptors, it takes length out of the stroke. The shell holders are easy to find and not to bad on price, there was/is even a guy in Southern Oregon that would make one for any caliber. I set it up and leave it.

TNsailorman
04-28-2021, 02:34 PM
I have never handled one myself but from the pictures I have seen, they look like a perfect start of a weight lifting programs. lol, james

Green Frog
04-29-2021, 12:52 PM
I have never handled one myself but from the pictures I have seen, they look like a perfect start of a weight lifting programs. lol, james

It would be a short program, Mr Sailorman! Once it was bolted to the bench, you probably wouldn’t want to move it. In fact, if you doubled up on the number of holes as many have, you would just change shell holders, turn the turret, and pull the handle. The exercise comes from buying one... that’s getting to be a heavy lift! :wink:

Froggie

abunaitoo
04-30-2021, 02:32 AM
I've collected so many presses, most are not mounted.
Just don't know what my problem is, but tools just catch my interest.
Maybe someday I'll finish my loading room and mount some of the presses.

Green Frog
04-30-2021, 10:14 AM
I've collected so many presses, most are not mounted.
Just don't know what my problem is, but tools just catch my interest.
Maybe someday I'll finish my loading room and mount some of the presses.

They’ve followed me home for years too, abunaitoo! I decided a while back I needed to thin the herd but they don’t want to leave! ;-)