PDA

View Full Version : S&w .35 1913

Battis
03-25-2021, 05:11 PM
A local store has two Smith & Wesson .35 handguns (1913). One blued, one nickel. I've never heard of them but I've been doing some research. Interesting semi-auto guns. Basically, the .35 caliber was a marketing scheme, because the bullets and cases are essentially .32 acp (which can be fired in these guns). The original bullets had jacketed tips and lead bodies to save wear on the bores. I'm tempted but I'm not. Anyone here have one?

Outpost75
03-25-2021, 05:47 PM
Guns are more collectible than shootable. Bore and groove diameters are too large for correct fit with .32 ACP jacketed loads and while they will go bang, accuracy will be poor.

Battis
03-25-2021, 06:17 PM
I've read both sides of that. Some say the bullets are the same size, and if you load weaker .32 acp rounds (lead), they shoot fine. Others say they don't shoot .32 acp well at all. Interesting how the guns have a slide disconnect to make racking that first round easier. Wish my Astra had one.

rintinglen
03-26-2021, 12:59 PM
The ammunition problem has kept me from it. An elderly fellow of my youthful acquaintance had one that he used to shoot once in a while at the old Oceanside police range. Minute of barn wall groups seemed to be the best you could hope for, at least, with 32 ACP ammunition. As I understand it, the 35 S&W casing is about 1/100" larger in diameter than the 32 acp, but is a true rimless design, like the 380 or 45 ACP cartridges. Shooting 32 ACP rounds from one is sort of like shooting 38 Specials in a 38 S&W, the loose fit to the chamber leading to poor accuracy. I toyed with buying one several times over the years, but money, desire and opportunity never mated up.