PDA

View Full Version : Tru-Line Jr Adapter Plate

beagle
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Maybe I've been sleeping and missed this but I just looked at the Vega Tool Site

http://www.vegatool.com/

They make a adapter plate for the Tru-Line Jr that takes 7/8 X 14 dies.

Now, that might not say much for rifle calibers as I beleive the extra linkage is needed for full length sizing. But, it would be great to use for loading stuff like the .38 Special, .45 ACP and the smaller .32s. The Mag calibers, I'll reserve judgement on.

It's not cheap. $55 but what the hell, our hobby's not cheap.

Check it out./beagle

HeavyMetal
12-28-2008, 10:56 PM
I think a couple guys are doing "plates" for the JR press.

About a year ago I lucked onto a couple JR's with the good linkage and got a hold of a guy on Gun Brokers. we talked some about his 4 hole conversion and, during the conversation, he ante'd up to the fact that he also did a 6 hole version!

The only issue with the 6 holer was he needed my detent plate to cut the correct spacing holes. Total cost, if I remember right, was 63.00! Turn around was about 3 weeks!

I did one of the JR's and have had a bunch of fun with it! I also bought the shell holder adapter from Lyman as well as the matching primer rams. Now I am good to go!

With carbide dies and just a touch of Imperial sizing die wax I can size 44 mag case's with no sweat! I have also done 30-30 case's with ease.

If you have a JR. press this is the way to go!! I also understand he does an 8 hole for the All American! I keep watching for one to show up but won't pay the ludicris price I see them going for on evil bay!

beagle
12-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Might have to equip one for pistols if that's the case. Think #2 son has a couple of Jrs laying around.

I just wasn't sure about the power of the linkage for bigger tasks./beagle

Green Frog
12-30-2008, 11:44 AM
This strikes me as a wonderful solution in search of a problem! Presses for 7/8X14 dies are readily available and offer (generally) exponentially more mechanical advantage than the Jr can dream of. The only advantage I see is the use of carbide dies, but if you still have to lubricate the cases, what have you gained?

Don't get me wrong, I own and use at least 4 or 5 Jrs along with a Red Head (which uses the same dies) and get great reloads from each. I can dedicate a press for each specific cartridge (if it is an appropriate cartridge) and leave it ready to clamp to the bench and load any time I want. That said, if I want to size full length or do high volume loading, there are many other presses that do the job much better. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

Pressman
12-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Green Frog: Have you compared bullet runout on rifle cases betweent he Redhead and the Tru Line's? My first press was/is a Tru Line and it has an alignment issue. Works OK for handgun ammo but not so good for rifle.
RE: Redhead, what do you use for shellholders? Redheads use a unique to them shellholder.
Ken

Green Frog
12-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Ken, my Red Head came with one of the shell holders I needed and I had the good fortune to get 2 more from the grandson of the maker of the presses (CC Johnson.) Then I got a wild hair to have a shell holder for my Maynard 1873 Model .40-40 (the one with a great big, thick rim.) I spent a couple of hours with lathe and mill making that, then added a set of recently produced .40-65 dies from a 310 tool, and voila! That is the only thing I now load on that press.

As to your question on run-out, no I haven't measured that yet, nor compared the RH w/ the TL Jr, but that guide rod on the Red Head should keep it pretty true, I'm guessing!

Froggie

Pressman
01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Green Frog, does your Redhead have numbers stamped on the top of the turret post? If so they represent the year of manufacture and production number for that year. Could you send them to me for reference, please.

I picked up my first Redhead in 1992 at an antique show, right after returning from Kuwait. Unknown to me was the shellholder issue and it remained that way for years. Sometime long, long ago a previous owner had reamed the shellholder carrier to accept the 9/16" shank of Lyman J shellholders. It is so well done that it looks factory, which is not correct according to Jerry Johnson.
I tried reversing the handle and like that a lot as it is much easier to use for light duty on pistol cartridges. The handle stand straight up with the ram fully raised.
Ken

Green Frog
01-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Ken,

The top of the screw on mine is stamped,

N [lightly]

Jerry explained the whole code to me once but I can't make sense of it unless it meant the one thousand ninety fifth unit of 1949(?)

BTW, it was Jerry who some time ago provided me with treasured shell holders in .32-40 and .45-70 sizes, and they, along with the .30-06 that came with the press and the .40-40 Maynard big rim I made should serve me for about anything I will ever want to load with it. I have the little primer peg and spring that go with the press, but generally prefer to re- and decap with dedicated tools. Jerry also provided me with a like-new plate so I can put a set of dies in it and leave them adjusted, changing out the whole plate and not having to reset everything. I haven't used it yet, since the .40-40 Maynard has taken up residence on the press.

As I said before, these small die presses are definitely limited as to their strength and rigidity, but within their limits they provide compact, efficient loaders for smaller and straight wall cases. I would not feel handicapped if all I had to load rounds for my single shot (high-wall) .32-40s or .45-70s (and yes, I have more than one of each!) were TruLine Jrs. or Red Heads, and AAMOF, that is all I have to load the Maynard!

Froggie

TAWILDCATT
01-03-2009, 10:31 PM
any machinist can retap the turret.I have all mine (5) retaped on one hole for carbide pistol die.dont try full length rifle,it will break sooner or later.I do 06/308 and 30/30.but mostly they are set up for 32,and 380.:coffee:[smilie=1:

Bret4207
01-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I think a couple guys are doing "plates" for the JR press.

About a year ago I lucked onto a couple JR's with the good linkage and got a hold of a guy on Gun Brokers. we talked some about his 4 hole conversion and, during the conversation, he ante'd up to the fact that he also did a 6 hole version!

The only issue with the 6 holer was he needed my detent plate to cut the correct spacing holes. Total cost, if I remember right, was 63.00! Turn around was about 3 weeks!

I did one of the JR's and have had a bunch of fun with it! I also bought the shell holder adapter from Lyman as well as the matching primer rams. Now I am good to go!

With carbide dies and just a touch of Imperial sizing die wax I can size 44 mag case's with no sweat! I have also done 30-30 case's with ease.

If you have a JR. press this is the way to go!! I also understand he does an 8 hole for the All American! I keep watching for one to show up but won't pay the ludicris price I see them going for on evil bay!

You got this guys name or email or Ebay ID or something? That 8 holer sounds great! The All American is a pretty stout press and I'd think it'd be a perfect candidate for a dedicated pistol press with an 8 hole turret.

Pressman
01-05-2009, 09:41 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-tru-line-Junior-turret-press-7-8-14-die-plate_W0QQitemZ120355865239QQihZ002QQcategoryZ7112 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You might try this guy. I have never talked to him so you are on your own.
Ken

shotman
01-05-2009, 11:37 PM
thats the guy Pressman. The 8 hole AA is $90. That is good if you dont change dies much but they are very close and a little hard to get adjusted.

Bret4207
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys!